Millions of people use Signal every day for free and instantaneous communication anywhere in the world. Send and receive high-fidelity messages, participate in HD voice/video calls, and explore a growing set of new features that help you stay connected. Signal’s advanced privacy-preserving technology is always enabled, so you can focus on sharing the moments that matter with the people who matter to you.
• Say anything – State-of-the-art end-to-end encryption (powered by the open source Signal Protocol™) keeps your conversations secure. Privacy isn’t an optional mode — it’s just the way that Signal works. Every message, every call, every time.
• Go fast – Messages are delivered quickly and reliably, even on slow networks. Signal is optimized to operate in the most constrained environment possible.
• Feel free – Signal is a completely independent 501c3 nonprofit. Development is supported by users like you. No advertisements. No trackers. No kidding.
• Be yourself – You can use your existing phone number and address book to securely communicate with your friends.
• Speak up – Whether they live across town or across the ocean, Signal’s enhanced audio and video quality will make your friends and family feel closer.
• Whisper in the shadows – Switch to the dark theme if you refuse to see the light.
• Sound familiar – Choose custom alerts for each contact, or disable noises completely. Simon & Garfunkel wrote a hit song about it in 1964, and you can experience the sound of silence whenever you want by choosing “None” as your notification ringtone.
• Picture this – Use the built-in image editing features to sketch, crop, and flip your outgoing photos. There’s even a text tool so that you can add more words to the 1,000 that your picture is already worth.
For support, questions, or more information, please visit:
Follow us on Twitter (@signalapp) and Instagram (@signal_app) for all of the latest updates and announcements.
• Give notifications in any conversation a rest (while you rest) with the new 8-hour mute setting. Or choose "Always" instead of one year, and say goodbye to the annual tradition of renewing a moment of silence.
• Swipe left on any message to quickly see message details. Whether you're wondering when the message was sent (exit stage left) or when they saw the message and didn't reply (left you on read), nothing is left to the imagination with the new left-swipe shortcut.
Interested in helping improve Signal? We're hiring. Visit https://signal.org/workworkwork to learn more.
Ratings and Reviews
Contacts Searching Options
I have been a Signal user for sometimes now even before the WhatsApp hype and it’s pretty secured and amazing app , but now with everyone moving to signal I think there should be a contacts search option so I don’t have to search all my 1000+ contacts one by one with number to add them (keeping the accepting option) or chat with them .
A great alternative but still needs polish
Iev been using Signal since a couple of days. Its still buggy in certain areas, crashes a few times but overall I see the potential usage of a private messenger than Whatsapp especially after its new policy. Would highly recommend it. Now is the time to really consider apps like Signal.
Best open source messaging app
I want to thank all the contributors who worked hard for this open source app, it would be good if you add functionalities such as scheduled messages, pinned messages, chat folders like telegram and strarred messages option like WhatsApp do have.
That would be appreciated 🙏.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Signal Messenger, LLC
- 167.9 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
English, Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Azerbaijani, Basque, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Burmese, Cambodian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hausa, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Javanese, Kabyle, Kannada, Kazakh, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay, Malayalam, Marathi, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Shona, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Uighur, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese, Welsh
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humour Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © Signal Foundation
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.