"1849 ... might just be the only real city-building game on iOS" - Owen Faraday, Pocket Tactics
The year is 1849, and gold has just been discovered in California. You decide to head out west, to seek fame and wealth in the approaching Gold Rush.
Will you strike it rich and become an overnight mining magnate? Or build your fortune bit by bit by supplying 49ers with pickaxes and blue jeans?
1849 is a city management game set during the California Gold Rush. Your task is to build towns, populate them with workers, and keep your citizens housed, fed, and entertained. You’ll have to manage and coordinate extensive production and trade networks to make sure your towns thrive.
Updated with two new scenarios!
The Epilogue presents two final scenarios, taking place in the period after the gold rush, as the people of California attempted to forge a new identity in a state that went through an irreversible transformation.
Key Features of 1849:
- A campaign mode that traces the development of the Gold Rush from mining camps to bustling cities. Each city scenario presents players with unique starting conditions, victory goals, and obstacle events.
- Sandbox mode with a procedurally-generated map for your location, based on geography (from the Pacific coast to the Sierra Nevada mountains), precipitation, resource availability, and starting lot size.
- Vivid Old West towns with geography and architecture directly inspired by California’s Gold Country.
- Over 50 resources to dig up, farm, refine or manufacture as you build complex towns and cities.
- Classic city management gameplay meets modern technology in a sim tailored specifically for tablet / touch screen play.
- Developed by SomaSim, a new studio dedicated to producing deep simulation games for today’s players.
New in version 2.0.8:
- Stability updates
- Fixed completion bug in Epilogue
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great game. I wish they would come out with another expansion pack or update each city with another couple More starting scenarios, adding to the 3 per city they have now. I played this game. After a while deleted everything and played it again. I want more.
California residents A Rare Find! Absolutely great game free!!
This game is amazing!! Thank you to everyone involved in bringing this game to the public! Not only fun but so educational about the history of California! I highly recommend this to everyone and any age over 8 up to 75. Thank you again!
I loved this game so much! Please put out another game like this soon.
- SomaSim LLC
- 78.9 MB
Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
English, French, German, Polish
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2014 SomaSim LLC
- In-App Purchases
- California Cities 10-pack $2.99
- 1849: Nevada Silver Expansion Pack $1.99
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.