ABXTester is an iPhone application to conduct ABX tests for you.
An ABX test is a method to examine if you can distinguish two sound samples A and B. In an ABX test session, a sound sample X, which is randomly picked from A and B, is played, and you have to answer if the sample is either A or B. You repeat this trial multiple times and then get assessed if you can really distinguish A and B.
ABX test and ABXTester are useful when you need to asses objectively if you can distinguish the difference in sound quality between two sound samples originated from same single sound source but with different compression ratios.
- Prepare two sound samples A and B with two different compression ratios from single sound source, or music, in iTunes.
- Transfer the prepared sound samples to your iPhone or iPod touch.
- Launch ABXTester.
- Select the sound samples A and B to use in ABXTester from your iPod library.
- ABXTester prepares five sound samples X1 through X5, each of which is randomly picked from A and B. For each sample, listen carefully and answer whether the sample is either A or B.
- Check if your answers are correct.
- If you could answer correctly for X1 through X5, you can proudly declare that you can distinguish the difference coming from the different compression ratios. Congratulations!
- You can pick test samples A and B from your iPod library.
- You can play test samples A, B and X during your test.
- You can answer whether played X is A or B.
- You can try five times in one test.
- You can get the percentage of successful trials.
- Redesign the user interface with multi view.
- Enable users to change the number of samples to try.
- Enable users to save the test results.
- iOS 7 or later
- 1.0 May 6, 2010 First release
- 1.01 May 14,2010 Localize(Japanese), Starup screen, Bug fixed
- 1.1 May 19,2010 Demo mode, Bug Fixed(iPod application slider)
- 1.2 June 5,2010 For iPad screen
- 1.21 June 27,2010 The some orientations on iPad, 96kbps file on demo mode, file size indications on demo mode.
- 1.22 Nov 29,2010 Bug fixed for iOS4.2.
- 2.02 Sep 13,2015 Bug fixed for iOS7 or later. 4.7inch, 5.5inch Display.
- 2.02 Sep 13,2015 Bug fixed for iOS7. 4.7inch, 5.5inch Display.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Did not work on iPad gen 3
Saw this touted on the Stereophile website so I gave it a try.
Appeared to install just fine.
Appeared to launch just fine.
Touched the select music button and it pulled up a blank white screen and that was that.
It's an old app, maybe it used to work on older iPads or maybe iPhones.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.