TL;DR: The app for unlimited solving of crosswords published online for Across Lite by major publishers and renowned authors.
Across Lite is hand-crafted with an eye for detail that only people who love both software and crosswords can create. Version 4 is state-of-the-art in features and aesthetics.
Since 1995, more crosswords are published for Across Lite than any other format. Loyal users have enjoyed our software for decades. Whether you are a beginner or a fanatical expert, you will be able to enjoy the best in crosswords daily.
If you find published puzzles difficult, you can purchase our highly acclaimed trainer crossword series inside the app.
INTRODUCTION: Across Lite is the de facto standard for publishing crosswords on the web - from newspapers such as The New York Times to independent authors - free or with subscription. The app includes a set of bookmarks to some of the well-known sources crosswords published for Across Lite. Downloading crosswords into Across Lite is easy. Puzzles can be downloaded and available to solve even when offline.
HIGHLIGHTS: People who have used Across Lite on any platform know there is nothing Lite about it. It has more user-friendly and advanced features than any other software out there.
In addition to Across Lite signature features that has set the standard such as pen and pencil modes, extensive check and reveal commands, or ink saver for printing, there are ground-breaking features that are much copied but never equaled:
- For the traditionalists, the unique Page View mode allows you to view and solve the crossword just like a printed crossword, the closest you can come to solving on paper. The List View provides the conventional computer-like interface for the gamers. But here is the best part - with single taps you can instantaneously switch back and forth between them allowing a type of solving never before possible. Once you get used to solving like this, nothing less will do.
- The app contains our original invention - SmartMove™ - which captures a method experts instinctively use to solve in a criss-cross manner leveraging previously entered letters. Use it for a while and you will develop that habit for fast and effective solving.
- Because no two solvers are alike, the app provides the most flexible and customizable interfaces. Both left-handed and right-handed people can find a layout that caters to them.
UPGRADE: We request serious solvers and those who appreciate our efforts to consider purchasing an upgrade from inside the app. The upgrade enables the following:
- An embedded web browser for easy downloading of puzzles
- A timer for those who wish to measure themselves.
- Ability to enter multiple characters for rebus puzzles.
- A unique color and contrast setting feature designed to reduce eye strain from looking at the traditional white background (perhaps because we, at Litsoft, are getting older!). It can be customized to personal tastes and to light conditions, so for example, solving in the dark does not turn you into a lighthouse for your spouse.
Just try it out and we are certain that over time you will discover and come to appreciate all the small touches we have embedded in the app.
NOTE about availability of crosswords:
- This app is a solver for independent crosswords published online in Across Lite format. Other than any crosswords for sale inside the app, it is NOT a supplier of crosswords.
- To respect a publishing site's terms of service and to avoid copyright infringement, it does NOT automatically fetch crosswords for you without visiting the site. Doing so is a violation of publisher copyrights and reputable software will not do this.
- It does NOT guarantee availability of crosswords from publishers who make their own decisions on availability and access including charging for them on their web sites.
If there are any problems with the access to crosswords on any site, please contact the site directly.
Minimum iOS required raised to 11.x, since new updates to the App Store will not run on older (32-bit) iPads with iOS 10 or earlier.
People with older iPads should see the last known running version v 4.1 available to them for install.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Puzzles are even more fun with Across Lite!
I always look forward to the New York Times Sunday crossword puzzle. A good puzzle and a cup of coffee are a great way to start the day. Since I started using Across Lite, I seem to finish puzzles even faster than before. I like that I can fill in the few letters of a word that I may know, just like I used to in the Times Magazine. I like that the app has different levels of difficulty where you can choose to see your correct letters as you go or not. The app could use some help with rebus puzzles, which are my favorite (besides the cryptic crosswords). Right now, each cell only accepts one letter per square which makes solving a rebus a bit harder since you need to remember what's really in those rebus squares. But even with that, I'd recommend the app. It also makes finding puzzles online easy as pie!
Just installed the update, and haven't seen a rebus to solve yet, so I'm not sure if the programmers have found a way to make rebus puzzles easier to read/solve yet. Still loving the app,
glad this app is here, but needs a tweak
I am really happy to finally see the Across Lite app. I have been using another app to access the NY Times puzzle and am happy to switch over. Each app has its advantages and disadvantages, but I will only speak to Across Lite.
Advantage: you can access the NYTimes puzzle and pay a lot less for the privilege especially if you are a NY Times subscriber (I get the Sunday paper, and this provides the crosswords on line at a cheap price).
Advantage: the user can use a blue tooth keyboard instead of a screen keyboard.
Disadvantage: does not automatically load the puzzle. You need to go to the site, download the puzzle and then select to play with Across Lite--this isn't harsh, just a lot of steps that other apps don't require.
Disadvantage: It does not allow tabbing to the next open/unfinished word in the order that you want (across, down, or nearest), it forces nearest which can make it a bit annoying.
Need to check: I am guessing that since the app downloads the puzzle from the NYTimes, that the user can access the puzzle on multiple platforms (computer, phone, tablet). The other programs require separate subscriptions.
EDIT Upgrade looks good, doesn't fix anything
EDIT I have upped this to four stars as some bugs and misfeatures have been ironed out. This is really a very very good app. Internal browser doesn’t work, really, but that’s minor.
The 4.x upgrade is very pretty. Unfortunately, it adds new annoyances and fails to fix old ones.
The biggest problem with this app, since the last upgrade (years ago) is the sensitivity of the letters up and down the sides of the screen. It's practically impossible to select letters reliably without hitting clue text so the cursor jump. This is NOT fixed, though I had hoped it would be.
The cursor behavior has changed radically in 4.x, and not for the better. I can't overwrite letters anymore -- the cursor just sticks on an existing letter. I cannot imagine why anyone would desire this behavior. Hitting the advance button used to take you to the next BLANK space (which is useful if you want to solve the puzzle), but now just jumps to the next word, even if it's already filled in.
Overall, a good app. But like too many apps nowadays, the "upgrades" tend to move backwards in usability.
- Literate Software LLC
- 29.2 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- © 2011-2020 Literate Software LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Crosswords You Can Finish $3.99
- Premium upgrade $4.99
- Bogglers and Challenges $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.