Upgrade your commute by carpooling with Waze. Plan your rides and match with fellow commuters going your way. It's easy, affordable and eco-friendly.
Why Waze Carpool?
- Schedule your rides for the week and stay on track with reminders
- Filter your matches based on gender, workplace, and personalized groups
- Share the cost of commuting
- Say hello to the express lane
- Reduce traffic and help the planet
NOTICE: The Waze Carpool app is for riders only. Are you a driver who wants to offer rides to commuters? Download the original Waze app and tap the carpooling icon to get started. Waze Carpool is currently available in the United States, Brazil, Mexico and Israel. Keep it installed and we’ll notify you as soon as it becomes available in your area!
Upgrade your commute with this helpful update:
- New Carpool calendar: It’s now easier to plan your rides for the week and find available drivers
Ratings and Reviews
Improved some things, made other things worse
I am an early user of Waze Carpool, and the format is definitely a bit easier to use than before. Having designated days available for carpool and seeing the drivers is an upgrade.
The app itself is still very slow. It should be optimized so I don’t keep getting the error “Try saving again”.
(1) It’s much much much more difficult to request for a ride more than 4 days ahead of time. Sometimes my destination for one day in the next week is different and I have to plan ahead of time. However, I can’t even book a ride ahead of time like before! It was definitely helpful before to schedule a ride ahead of time so people can see if they’re available.
(2) when I request for a ride, and the driver declines, I don’t get a notification or anything. All that happens is that the driver shows up on the list to be requested again. I think there should be pre-written messages for after the driver declines the ride, to let the rider know what’s going on. For example, after declining the ride, the driver can choose between the messages: Can’t carpool today/ Time doesn’t match mine/ Too far.
(3) please notify the drivers at least one day ahead of time instead of a few hours on the day of. I have had times when I moved my schedule around to catch a ride and the driver tells me he forgot about it.
Spoke too soon...
I honestly thought I would love this app. Upon downloading it I’d already received $30 in Ride credits and found many drivers who matched my route. I thought I had hit the carpool jackpot. Until it actually came to using the app. You have to send requests to drivers on the same route as you, with a time and pickup/drop off spot that are convenient. The first time I sent a request to a driver 2 days before I needed the ride. The driver declined the request. Ok, surely I could contact the other matches. None have responded. I checked their profiles, and it seems all of the drivers who I have matched with (including the one who rejected riding with me) are new drivers themselves and are either inactive or not really ready to ride other people. Even as I tried changing my route destination to get more available drivers, 90% of the drivers just didn’t respond to my request at all. It’s been 2 weeks since my last request. I now feel discouraged to ride with WAZE since the ride credits will expire soon and I have not been able to communicate with a single driver
I downloaded this app to see if it’s something I could use on a regular basis, and it looks very promising up front. But when I started to sign in and enter my information like, when I leave home and when I get to work; and my origination and Destination locations, I was asked to create a profile. I’m willing to create a profile but the only two choices I had to create a profile is to create it using either my Facebook account profile or my Google account profile.
I’m not interested in allowing access to any app of my Facebook or Google account profile information, but I am willing to enter profile Information directly as I see fit. Since this option does not appear to be available, I will not be using the Waze carpool app after all. Great idea, but you want too much information For my taste.
Developer Response ,
Hi Wayne, we hear you.
The profile is where drivers and riders can find shared interests and learn more information about each other. The carpool community is built on trust and riders with complete profile details get more ride offers.
Today we have 4 places where we ask users to set their profile informations:
1 - Profile photo – Update your photo by tapping the camera
2 - Say something about yourself – Give drivers a taste of your personality by typing a short message
3 - Social media accounts – Connect your Facebook and Linkedin accounts to find the people you want to carpool with based on mutual friends, shared interests and more
4 - Workplace email – Carpool with coworkers or fellow students by including your work or school email. Wazers may see the name of your company or school within the app, but your email address will stay hidden.
Please let us know if you have any question, if you prefer you can reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks, The Waze Carpool team
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.