Highland 2 is a better way to write.
We’ve taken the tools we built for writing screenplays and made them work for almost every kind of document you write. From novels to blog posts and school reports, Highland’s clean design and innovative tools help you focus on words, not formatting.
With Highland 2.5, we’ve refined every bit of the app while adding incredible new features like Revision Mode and custom themes.
“Highland is just a cleaner, purer way to be creative.” — Phil Lord, Writer/Director of The Lego Movie, 21 & 22 Jump Street
“You won’t find a better app for getting your writing done than Highland 2.” — Jeffery Battersby, iMore
. . . . . . . . F O C U S . . . . . . . .
More Power. Less Distraction.
Highland handles formatting automatically, so you can spend your time finding the perfect word, not the right menu command.
You’ll love working in an editor designed for writing, not mimicking a printed page.
When you want to see the layout, quickly toggle between your text and a preview of the finished document.
With one click, Highland turns your words into a perfectly-formatted document ready to print or export.
. . . . . . . . F E A T U R E S . . . . . . . .
Created by screenwriter and novelist John August, Highland 2 is built by writers, for writers.
- The Navigator. Get an overview of what you’ve written -- and what’s left to write.
- Templates. Switch between Highland’s 10 PDF templates including Screenplay, Multi-Cam and Manuscript.
- Revision Mode. (NEW!) Track your changes in different colors, complete with stars in the margin. Available for all documents.
- The Bin. A magical shelf to hold little bits of text you want to keep handy.
- Scratchpad. Keep information or notes outside the document. A great place to store information and instructions for a writing partner or an editor.
- Assets. A handy list of all the images and files imported into your document.
- Themes. Go beyond Dark Mode, with 10 unique themes in a range of styles to suit any mood, or build your own with our Theme Builder. (NEW!)
- Sprints and Goals. Get more written with focused writing sessions.
- Full screen mode. The ultimate distraction-free screenwriting experience.
- In-line notes and synopses. Keep your notes right where you need them.
- Word Analysis. (NEW!) See which words you’re using most frequently and which words aren’t in the dictionary.
- Cheat sheets. Forget how to center something? The answer is a glance away.
. . . . . . . . S C R E E N W R I T E R S . . . . . . . .
- Live Margins. No more tabs. Characters, Parentheticals and Dialogue indent as you type.
- Multi-Cam, Treatment and Comic Book. Templates for things beyond screenplays.
- Character Highlighting. Works in both the Editor and export.
- Gender Analysis. Check the male/female balance in your screenplay.
- Best-in-class PDF Melting. Screenplay PDFs are no longer frozen in carbonite. This was Highland’s breakout feature, and remains unmatched.
. . . . . . . . A D V A N T A G E S . . . . . . . .
Highland is built for today, and the future.
- Speed. From scrolling to previews, Highland is blisteringly fast, using the latest Apple technologies.
- Great typography. Highland features exceptional typography right out of the box. Writers shouldn’t have to look at ugly fonts.
- Standards-leading. Created by the same team that helped forge the Fountain standard, Highland speaks Fountain and Markdown fluently.
- Compatible. Highland is perfect for moving files between Fountain, Final Draft, and PDF formats.
. . . . . . . . S U P P O R T . . . . . . . .
Our in-app “Welcome to Highland” and videos can walk you through features. We also have an extensive FAQ, available both in-app and online:
Send Feedback directly from the Help menu, or reach us online by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or on Twitter @qapps
[fix] Words running together at the end of some pages
[fix] Forced Page Breaks in Final Draft .fdx files
[fix] Lyrics left margin now extends further
[improvement] Open selected documents in the Launch Screen using Return or Enter key
Ratings and Reviews
An app FOR screenwriters that’s made BY screenwriters!
I’ve been using Highland since it came out and was a beta tester for Highland 2. I don’t know where I’d be without it. I write on a fast-paced TV show, and Highland (and Highland 2 beta) has been a large part of why I’m able to keep up. While it doesn’t have all the (sometimes unnecessary) features of something like Final Draft, I MUCH prefer writing in Highland. It’s more intuitive than the other screenwriting apps I’ve used, and I write with more ease and speed because it has a slick, clear, easy-to-use interface. You don’t have think or worry about formatting — you can just write! The app itself is beautiful and a pleasure to work in. I always get a little burst of excitement every time open it.
Highland 2 is designed by John August (and his team). John is a prolific screenwriter who’s worked in Hollywood for years on many high-profile projects. He knows firsthand how writers think and work, and Highland 2 clearly benefits from his expertise. He and his team are also continually providing new and useful updates.
While Final Draft is still an industry standard on many productions, it’s clunky, glitchy, and slow to improve/update. If you’re a screenwriter, you can’t go wrong having Highland 2 in your arsenal of screenwriting tools. If you’re a new screenwriter, START HERE! If you’re a veteran writer and have been writing in another app, give this one a shot. You’ll be glad you did!
Never going back
I'm a longtime listener to John August and Craig Mazin's Scriptnotes podcast (and an as-yet unproduced screenwriter, of course), and when I first heard about John's alternative screenwriting software, I was skeptical. I had been using Final Draft for ten years (after writing my first scripts on a typewriter in my teens and then in Microsoft Word with preset tabs - I'm not too old, though, I swear). After using Highland and then Highland 2 for my last two scripts (and a novel I just started), I'm never going back to Final Draft unless I absolutely have to.
It's hard to explain why until you give it a shot, but it has a word processing pane with a basic sans serif font to write the raw content. You can toggle simply between that and a pane that shows you the formatting as you go. It took some getting used to (I had been writing scripts the same way for over a decade) but it's so much smoother. Final Draft is awful and clunky, with awkward features that aren't useful to the actual writing process.
It works, so you don't have to.
If you're a writer, Highland 2 is worth the cost. If you're someone getting into, or thinking about, writing it's worth the cost. Simply amazing, easy to use, and fantastic support if something unexpected, however common or rare that may happen. Highland 2 uses Markdown, and will teach you how to use it if you're new to Markdown. After about 3 minutes, I had enough understanding to dive into writing with Highland 2. It's that easy, if not easier. I am no professional writing, I'm not a very good writer, but I still have ideas, hopes and dreams about writing, highland was well worth the price and has me writing more. The only thing that would make this even more wonderful would be if it was available on other platforms. (iOS, iPadOS, Linux, Windows) I would gladly buy it for each platform I use at full price no less, Highland 2 is really that great. Hopefully this review helps you.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Quote-Unquote Films, Inc.
- 39.2 MB
- Requires macOS 10.13 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Quote-Unquote LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Highland 2 Pro Upgrade $49.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.