Easily save & manage money in college. Anonymously compare finances with others. Featured by Apple, loved by students across 1500+ colleges. 100% free, designed for the college lifestyle!
"I love that it's catered to students and allows me to compare my spending habits with my peers automatically.. and the challenges make it fun!" - Allison B.
Screw tedious budgets, ugly graphs and stressful numbers. Pluto guides you to spend smarter & save up in a simple, automatic and fun way that fits your lifestyle as a student.
Get started by securely linking your accounts (debit, credit cards, PayPal, etc.). We support 10k+ U.S. financial institutions. We do NOT support non-U.S. institutions at this time.
HOW WE HELP YOU
Save for Goals, by doing Simple Challenges
• Do fun spending challenges smartly tailored to your finances & save! EX: Take on "Spend Less" challenges for any category, merchant or even on your overall spending.
• We suggest benchmarks for you, and if you spend under that amount, save the difference towards goals like Coachella!
Compare Finances to Similar Peers, Anonymously:
• Compare spending to similar peers, grouped by criteria like your age, income, relationship status and college campus.
• The more peers on Pluto, the more accurate it gets - so invite your friends to Pluto!
Understand Your Money with Simple Insights:
• Finally, insights that don't overwhelm you.
• See snapshot summaries, then dive into details only if you want!
• Take on challenges directly from your insights!
Automatic Tracking & Categorization:
• Auto-tracks your financial accounts and activities in one place.
• Auto-categorizes all your transactions!
• Keeps you on track with our challenge "Spendometers".
• Bank-level security (learn more below).
Search Transactions, Easily:
• Type to search by bank accounts, merchant name and category!
• Want to see all transactions + total spend for Lyft? Type "Lyft" into the search box and boom!
Get Powerful Alerts:
• Get notified abut new transactions, such as when you get paid and pay off your credit card bills.
• Know your challenge + goal progress and get encouragement.
• Know how many more times you can spend to stay green!
And best of all, Pluto is absolutely 100% free!
• SMS verification to prevent fraudulent accounts.
-We do not currently support VoIP, Google Voice and international numbers. But if you're a U.S. student studying abroad, please reach out via our support chat, and we may verify you on a case-by-case basis.
• PIN & Touch ID to protect device-specific account access.
• Bank-grade security & encryption to keep your personal data safe.
• Your bank log-in credentials cannot be stored by us.
• Your money cannot be moved via Pluto.
• Our partner Plaid also partners with Venmo, Acorns & AMEX.
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING
CNN Money: A recommended app “to keep tabs on expenses”
Stacking Benjamins (#1 personal finance podcast by Kiplinger): "This whole idea of gamifying your goals is pretty exciting”
PT Money: Named as one of 'The Best Personal Finance Software for Taming Your Budget (2019)'
No funds can be moved in or out of Pluto yet, so the savings are virtually tracked. But GOOD NEWS - the FDIC-insured Pluto Safe account is coming soon! Soon, you'll be able to easily and securely transfer funds into and out of Pluto. Join our in-app waitlist now to get earlier access!
Icons by Icons8.
Yass, Pluto Insights just got more lit!
> Sub-category breakdowns, top spent brands
> Last week/month vs This week/month comparisons
> Commit to spending challenges directly from your insights!
• See available vs total balance breakdown on Accounts page!
• Space invaders squished, propulsion system enhanced.
And finally... be sure to join the Pluto Safe waitlist today for early access! Easily stash funds into Pluto for that study abroad program, Coachella, next semester's course readers—you name it. 100% free, FDIC-insured & as convenient as Venmo!
Ratings and Reviews
Pluto has more potential than any other finance app I have seen thus far, and I’m excited to see the app grow and change in ways that make my personal finances much easier (and almost fun) to manage. The app includes so many useful tools and provides such remarkable accessibility to my linked bank account that shows each of my transactions in detail, and even separates them by category of what each transaction was spent on. In the Insights tab of the app, there is an available bar graph that compiles all of my spending habits into an easy-to-read diagram. It shows results from the current week, the past week, as well as the weekly and monthly averages to inform you on what you’re spending on most! The challenges that I’m able to set for myself do genuinely help me save money on certain categories that I’m spending too much on. Pluto sends you notifications to let you know how much you’ve spent in a certain category, and how much you could save if you spent less. Overall, the app is extremely helpful, incredibly resourceful, and it’s still young! Not to mention, the customer service is rapidly responsive and always provides me with accurate information. They reply to any inquiries, questions, or comments within minutes, and the communication service is available on their own app. 5/5 from me.
Developer Response ,
Hi Johnny - we're blushing from your incredible feedback! 😳 This is why we do what we do. We've got a lot more work ahead and look forward to continually improving your Pluto experience + how you manage finances! Much love to you. -Pluto Team
Great app that has a lot of potential and could be very beneficial with a couple improvements
I just downloaded the Pluto app 2 days ago and I absolutely love it. Kind of... It could use some improvements which can make it sooo much better which they are actually working on currently. One of their upcoming features is called “Pluto Safe” and it lets you safely transfer money from your bank account to your Pluto Safe account to save money towards a goal that you may have. I also really like how the developer of the app reaches out and asks for the users feedback, recommendations, and anything else you may have to say about the app, which helps them improve the app according to the users needs. I recommend everyone to try this app and I’m sure you’ll love it. But if anyone says otherwise, what do have to lose? Nothing, so give it a try and if you don’t find the app useful, you’re not bound to use it and you can always leave feedback to help the developers make improvements.
Developer Response ,
Your feedback is super important to us; it's users like you that help us get better. Thanks so much for your honest review and glad you love Pluto! We can't wait to launch Pluto Safe as well; it'll take your savings to another level. Don't ever hesitate to chat with us for more feedback 🙏 -Pluto Team
Best finance app I’ve used
I have tried many many expense apps, but Pluto so far has been the best. Not only does it have amazing UI (which was super hard to come across), it also analyzes how I spend money the way I like (with graphics, categories, etc). The two features mentioned have never been both present in another app I tried before. I also like that I can see how I spend compare to my peers and that I can set challenges for me to save. One more thing: I also really like that I can edit transaction amounts. I’ve either entered every transaction manually (which is annoying and I stop after 2 months), or use an app that enters transaction automatically. The problem with the latter is that in college, we take the bill and Venmo each other a lot, thus the total isn’t necessary what I spend myself. I love that my spendings are tracked automatically AND I can edit it to reflect the true value.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.