Easily save & manage money in college. Anonymously compare finances with others. Featured by Apple, loved by students across 1500+ colleges. 100% free, designed for the college lifestyle!
"I love that it's catered to students and allows me to compare my spending habits with my peers automatically.. and the challenges make it fun!" - Allison B.
Screw tedious budgets, ugly graphs and stressful numbers. Pluto guides you to spend smarter & save up in a simple, automatic and fun way that fits your lifestyle as a student.
Get started by securely linking your accounts (debit, credit cards, PayPal, etc.). We support 10k+ U.S. financial institutions. We do NOT support non-U.S. institutions at this time.
HOW WE HELP YOU
Save for Goals, by doing Simple Challenges
• Do fun spending challenges smartly tailored to your finances & save! EX: Take on "Spend Less" challenges for any category, merchant or even on your overall spending.
• We suggest benchmarks for you, and if you spend under that amount, save the difference towards goals like Coachella!
Compare Finances to Similar Peers, Anonymously:
• Compare spending to similar peers, grouped by criteria like your age, income, relationship status and college campus.
• The more peers on Pluto, the more accurate it gets - so invite your friends to Pluto!
Understand Your Money with Simple Insights:
• Finally, insights that don't overwhelm you.
• See snapshot summaries, then dive into details only if you want!
• Take on challenges directly from your insights!
Automatic Tracking & Categorization:
• Auto-tracks your financial accounts and activities in one place.
• Auto-categorizes all your transactions!
• Keeps you on track with our challenge "Spendometers".
• Bank-level security (learn more below).
Search Transactions, Easily:
• Type to search by bank accounts, merchant name and category!
• Want to see all transactions + total spend for Lyft? Type "Lyft" into the search box and boom!
Get Powerful Alerts:
• Get notified abut new transactions, such as when you get paid and pay off your credit card bills.
• Know your challenge + goal progress and get encouragement.
• Know how many more times you can spend to stay green!
And best of all, Pluto is absolutely 100% free!
• SMS verification to prevent fraudulent accounts.
-We do not currently support VoIP, Google Voice and international numbers. But if you're a U.S. student studying abroad, please reach out via our support chat, and we may verify you on a case-by-case basis.
• PIN & Touch ID to protect device-specific account access.
• Bank-grade security & encryption to keep your personal data safe.
• Your bank log-in credentials cannot be stored by us.
• Your money cannot be moved via Pluto.
• Our partner Plaid also partners with Venmo, Acorns & AMEX.
WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING
CNN Money: A recommended app “to keep tabs on expenses”
Stacking Benjamins (#1 personal finance podcast by Kiplinger): "This whole idea of gamifying your goals is pretty exciting”
PT Money: Named as one of 'The Best Personal Finance Software for Taming Your Budget (2019)'
No funds can be moved in or out of Pluto yet, so the savings are virtually tracked. But GOOD NEWS - the FDIC-insured Pluto Safe account is coming soon! Soon, you'll be able to easily and securely transfer funds into and out of Pluto. Join our in-app waitlist now to get earlier access!
Icons by Icons8.
Yass, Pluto Insights just got more lit!
> Sub-category breakdowns, top spent brands
> Last week/month vs This week/month comparisons
> Commit to spending challenges directly from your insights!
• See available vs total balance breakdown on Accounts page!
• Space invaders squished, propulsion system enhanced.
And finally... be sure to join the Pluto Safe waitlist today for early access! Easily stash funds into Pluto for that study abroad program, Coachella, next semester's course readers—you name it. 100% free, FDIC-insured & as convenient as Venmo!
Ratings and Reviews
Pluto has more potential than any other finance app I have seen thus far, and I’m excited to see the app grow and change in ways that make my personal finances much easier (and almost fun) to manage. The app includes so many useful tools and provides such remarkable accessibility to my linked bank account that shows each of my transactions in detail, and even separates them by category of what each transaction was spent on. In the Insights tab of the app, there is an available bar graph that compiles all of my spending habits into an easy-to-read diagram. It shows results from the current week, the past week, as well as the weekly and monthly averages to inform you on what you’re spending on most! The challenges that I’m able to set for myself do genuinely help me save money on certain categories that I’m spending too much on. Pluto sends you notifications to let you know how much you’ve spent in a certain category, and how much you could save if you spent less. Overall, the app is extremely helpful, incredibly resourceful, and it’s still young! Not to mention, the customer service is rapidly responsive and always provides me with accurate information. They reply to any inquiries, questions, or comments within minutes, and the communication service is available on their own app. 5/5 from me.
Developer Response ,
Hi Johnny - we're blushing from your incredible feedback! 😳 This is why we do what we do. We've got a lot more work ahead and look forward to continually improving your Pluto experience + how you manage finances! Much love to you. -Pluto Team
Great for saving
Pluto is really good way to not only save up for stuff but also to find were you can save money. It will break things down from over all overspending to just restaurants, or beauty related stuff. It will show you how much you spent on that category that week and that month. You can also make different things you want to save up for but you don’t have to start a challenge right then and there. The only thing I would say is that as of right now you can’t save money to the app so you have to go in and add the money to you savings, also It doesn’t seem to notice when money is add to my account, like it pops up on the transaction but if I say buy something for someone and then they pay me back I add the money to my account the challenge still says I spent it. I just wish there was a way to notify the app like hey I have money to make up for it or something.
Developer Response ,
Wow, ❤️ this breakdown! Thanks so much for this awesome review - you're amazing! We can't wait to launch the Pluto Safe account that'll enable you to save money directly into the app... make sure to join the waitlist 👀. For purchases you get reimbursed for, you can actually choose to hide it on Pluto so it doesn't count towards the challenge. Please reach out via our in-app chat for further assistance if needed 🙂 -Pluto Team
Beautiful interface, simple, efficient and straightforward
I don’t typically write reviews for many apps since they seem to mainly do their job and wouldn’t need one more carbon-copy review, but Pluto is an app that most definitely deserves the recognition and appreciation for its ability to help any age group get an easy and quick start on saving up for any goal. I personally love the interface because it makes it fun to interact with the app and encourages me to steadily work toward my goals. For ex, there are small motivational statements here and there like “let’s do it!” to replace your typical lackluster “okay” button. It’s the small things that matter! Being able to see what category your spending goes under is especially helpful for someone who wipes out their card whenever around friends (my bad). I would highly recommend for anyone who’s looking for a way to break into saving up for a goal!
Developer Response ,
What an incredible review, Jenny. 👌 You're amazing. Thanks for recommending us, and don't hesitate to give more feedback anytime via our in-app chat! -Pluto Team
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.