Our global coverage offers distinctive insight and incisive analysis. Start your 7-day free trial now.*
Each week over 1.5m subscribers trust The Economist to help them make sense of the world. Join them by downloading The Economist app.
The app includes a handpicked daily selection of the best of our journalism, along with the full weekly version of The Economist newspaper to read or listen to on the go.
Already a subscriber to The Economist? Simply install the app and sign in with your Economist login details.
The Economist is an award-winning, trusted filter on global affairs, offering in-depth analysis of everything from business, finance and politics to science, technology and economics. It covers every region of the world including the United States, Britain, Europe, Asia and Latin America. The Economist is also available as a weekly magazine.
• Top stories: the latest news analysis combined with highlights from the weekly issue
• Economist Espresso: a short morning briefing on the day’s global agenda
• The Economist weekly edition: full access to the weekly version of The Economist
• The audio version of the weekly edition to listen to on the go
• A selection of our podcasts, including The Intelligence, a daily burst of illumination from The Economist’s worldwide network of correspondents
• A morning briefing on the day ahead
• Timely analysis of the world’s biggest stories, updated by the end of the day
• The weekly edition available from 9 pm every Thursday evening London time
• Audio versions of the weekly edition read by professional broadcasters
• Reading times highlighted on each article
• Bookmarks to save articles for later or create personal reading lists
• Subscribe in-app and take advantage of our introductory subscription offer
• Subscribe in-app and take advantage of our 7-day free trial
• At the end of the trial, the subscription will automatically renew onto a monthly subscription at the standard price. Annual and quarterly subscriptions are also available in some regions
• You will be charged in your local currency at the prevailing exchange rate as defined by Apple. Payment is charged to your iTunes account upon confirmation of purchase
• All subscriptions automatically renew. Your account will be charged 24 hours before the renewal date, at a cost of £19.99/$19.99/€24.99 for a monthly subscription
*Some countries may offer alternative pricing plans.
• Improvements and bug fixes for edition download mechanism
• Audio performance and stability improvements
Ratings and Reviews
News, but better.
I never personally thought I’d be writing a review for a news app. I’m a 21 year old college student and generally skeptical of news organizations. After taking a class with a heavy usage of Economist articles, I see why my professor uses them in his lesson plans: they’re factual. After multiple months of contemplating whether or not to get a subscription, I finally pulled the trigger. The app is almost seamless, minus a few features I wish I could have in the app like a search option and a viewing history for easier access to show my friends the articles (I wish I could give you all a half star less for this, but I’ll go with 5 stars because I enjoy the content so much). I feel as though I can put my trust in The Economist because they deliver the news in a digestible and palatable way. I enjoy being able to audibly listen to articles and understanding what’s going on in the world.
If you’re tired of traditional American news companies like NBC, Fox, CBS, CNN, The Washington Post, The New York Times, and many others, then try out The Economist. The Economist offers a new level of detail, honesty, factuality, and trust that I appreciate when it comes to news reporting. I intend to resubscribe for more after my introductory subscription. The Economist (as far as I understand) does not do editorials or opinion pieces. They offer well thought out news reporting and a deeper understanding of current events.
Very unbiased, Economics is the perspective
I love this mag. I mean I really do (Econ Major at UCO btw). The only complaint I have is the excess of ads despite me paying the full price. Otherwise I think that this is the most worthwhile news source to date. A lot of people used to consider The Economist to be a conservative newspaper, but truly I tell you that it has done a 180 in 2020, they really just use economics alone as their guiding subject. They were supporting the vaccine when it was first out and mostly a political issue. They don’t pander to leftists or conservatives very often or really at all. Also they take good critical letters from respected individuals in their letters section. I truly enjoy disagreeing with an article and then finding someone smarter than me who wrote exactly why it is wrong, I could go on and on about this magazine. I love the formatting (shorter less fiddly articles, with all of the facts and as little opinion as possible) and I’m definitely a lifelong customer as long as that Economist quality is retained. I also really enjoy how the economist never says we think that (…) they always say this is the way to fix it or just state things how they are based on economic indications. There is actual evidence to back up economics, rather than some crazy conservative conspiracy theory, or a radical leftist rant. I don’t think they’re always right but this leads to a level of honesty. Excellent customer service also.
Bugs in latest release
I have loved this app and made it my primary means of accessing the content for more than one year now. With the latest update the audio playback seems ruined. Though the audio opens with each new issue and appears to automatically download, the playback takes several seconds, almost a minute in most cases to begin. It is almost as if the download restarts each time I open the app, and the audio files are not actually saved. Moreover the playback lasts for about half of an article, and if my screen turns off or I lock the phone, the playback and the app seem to crash. I am not sure what changed, but the stability of the app is terrible all of a sudden. Particularly with regard to the audio playback.
I do like the new arrangement and layout of the ability to access the different audio articles, but there is no point if the articles won’t play.
Developer Response ,
We're sorry to hear that you're having issues with the app. If possible please share the device and operating system version you are using and your exact steps in the app when this issue occurred, via email to email@example.com.
Alternatively we'd love to reach out directly to ask a few questions by phone - in which case please share a contact number to the email address (not as a response here). This will help us fix the issue quickly.
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
- Usage Data
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- Usage Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- The Economist Newspaper Group Inc.
- 45.4 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Copyright © The Economist Newspaper Limited 2021
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly Subscription $15.99
- Three month subscription $55.99
- One year subscription $189.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.