Students and parents can complete the 2019–20 FAFSA using the myStudentAid app. The myFAFSA component—which is used to complete the FAFSA form—is the app’s featured function.
The following are key features of myFAFSA:
• Students and parents may begin, complete, and submit a new or renewal FAFSA form for the 2019–20 FAFSA processing cycle.
• Users will be offered a customized experience based on their role (student, parent, or preparer). The app provides guidance on how to complete the FAFSA questions, making the overall process more positive, engaging, and user-friendly.
• Users will have a secure experience with the same data protections as completing the FAFSA form through fafsa.gov.
• Students and parents may use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) to electronically transfer federal tax return information into a FAFSA form.
• Students and parents may be eligible to transfer their FAFSA information into their state aid application. Participating states include Iowa, Minnesota, Mississippi, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and Vermont.
• Students will be able to view additional information about the schools they selected on their FAFSA form for easy comparison of schools.
• Parents will be able to automatically transfer their information from a completed FAFSA form for one of their children into a new FAFSA form for another child.
In addition, the myStudentAid mobile app provides links to the following services:
• Profile: manage username and password (FSA ID)
• myFederalLoans: view federal student aid history
• myCollegeScorecard: view and compare information about schools
• Contact Us: get in touch with Federal Student Aid contact centers to have your questions answered
• StudentAid.gov: access Federal Student Aid’s key source of information about the federal student aid programs, application process, and loan repayment options
We regularly update the app to make it better for you! This release includes the new myChecklist feature and in app and push notifications. We also squashed minor bugs to improve the app's performance.
Ratings and Reviews
I really like this app, it’s way faster and easier in my opinion, but they need to make sure their always improving it and keeping it up to date, and making sure it works properly. It logged me out about 2 times saying there was an error. But other than that I like it, will definitely continue using it for future financial aid processing. Especially when you information is already there from previous submissions, it takes like 10 maybe 20 minutes to complete.
Notifications Please and why “myStudentAid”
It would be great if notifications we a part of this app’s functionality. How great it would’ve been to get notified on Oct. 1st that the 19/20 FAFSA is ready to be completed.
Also why on earth is the app named “MyStudentAid”? And the app icon says “Federal Student Aid”? Either match the two for consistency or and even better idea would be to call the app “FAFSA”. I’m just thinking from a student’s perspective and to try and make it as simple as possible to complete.
But as a plus, the app layout is great and it works really well guiding people through the FAFSA process. Good job FSA!
GET THE APP!
I love the app! I was trying to fill out my fafsa info on their website but every couple of minutes it would kick me out and say ERROR. I would try again and it’d kick me out again! I would even have to start all over again which was very frustrating. I saw their ad for this app and thought I’d try it. So glad I downloaded it! It was so easy. Didn’t give my any trouble at all and I was actually able to finish really quick.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.