A fast note-taking. SideNotes is designed to take notes instantly. Now with Apple Shortcuts support (it requires macOS 12), exporting note to image, iCloud synchronization (it requires macOS 11 or newer) and themes.
How is this app different? SideNotes lives on the side of your monitor. Don’t look for its icon in the Menu bar or in the Dock. Just move your cursor to the side of your screen and press the semi-transparent bar.
It’s prettier than sticky notes and more agile than big text editors. A tool to catch fleeting thoughts on the go.
SideNotes shows you several notes at once. Just scroll to see more notes in a folder.
Designed for momentary notes: phone numbers, links, screenshots. Drop them in SideNotes for now. Then move them to your writing app or task manager. Or just let them stay at your fingertips in SideNotes.
It’s a cozy place for your: ideas, inspirational quotes, pictures, fragments of code, vocabulary, recipes. Just anything that might get lost if not saved in a flash.
Its slim window gives you enough space for convenient writing. At the same time it’s small enough not to distract you from your main workflow.
You can make your notes stand out by adding colors to them.
SideNotes is for those who love to keep their countless notes handy and organised.
With SideNotes you can:
- smoothly pull out your notes from outside your monitor and easily hide them back
- mark notes with colors and group them into folders - choose themes
- drag and drop pictures directly from your web browser
- save links, code snippets or even colors
- create task lists and mark items done
- create notes directly from the pasteboard
- drop text files or pictures, so they will be added as new notes
- drop any other files and application will keep shortcut to them with a nice preview - search for any notes or folders - use 3 text formatting modes: Markdown, Plain Text and Code. - synchronise your notes between computers
* Apple Shortcuts support (requires macOS 12)
* New Apple Scripts commands
* Exporting note to image
* Quick look for images and files
* Moving a note to a new folder
* In Search, Control-Click opens note folder
* Launching website addresses from note in Search window (⌘R)
* Disabled spell checking and autocorrection in Code mode
* An option to disable drop on the screen side
* An option to move imported text files and images to Trash
* Options to import text files and images as file shortcuts
* Indentions in lists
* Corrected line spacing in lists
* Updated Showcase folder
* Fixed: drag and drop of folders to other apps did not work
* Fixed: colors of lists numbers
* Fixed: back button used to display its menu incorrectly
* Fixed: dropping note on note
* Fixed: text replacement did not work
Ratings and Reviews
Beautiful and extremely handy
I've wanted for years to have a quick way to jot things down. I've tried a dozen menu-bar apps and always returned to launching TextEdit and typing notes there. Textedit is very unsatisfying, hard to organize, and takes a long time.
SideNotes is the opposite: it's pretty, quick to open, and lets me organize my notes. Highly recommend it!
The only improvement I can imagine is to have it sync my notes via iCloud so I can use smoothly between my desktop and laptop (or maybe designate certain folders as shared and some not). Kudos!
Exactly What I Needed Except...
This app is amazing! As a scatterbrain if I don't immediately write down important thoughts/reminders…goodbye forever. I relied on the notes app for years, curating an assortment of snippets with no context, organization, or urgency, often left to be rediscovered and decrypted months later during spring cleaning attempts. Even pinned notes became quickly outdated, just not convenient enough to view or quickly organize in the moment.
Sidenotes finally offered what I was missing, quick access with an easily organizable format. On the the formatting, I mainly like the limited options as it frees the mind from spending too much time playing around with the settings.
But my big annoyance is the lack of a keyboard trigger only option. I don't like clutter so the choice between a visible bar that can also open up accidentally and another icon on my menu bar is a big pet peeve. I prefer to trigger it from a hotkey, but find there's no option to do so as I have with some of my other apps. Otherwise nothing but praise here!
Excellent concept but missing a couple things
I love the concept behind this app and I'm getting used to having it aroudn. However, there are a couple things I'd like to see added that would make it more useful.
First, and foremost, would be syncing across devices. iCloud sync is built into macOS so why not use it? I don't want to have to copy/pasta my notes from one device to another using Apple Notes. If I did thia, why use SideNotes at all?
I get it. Everyone loves markdown. Or do they? I know it's trendy, or was for a while, but RTF has been aroudn for a hell of a lot longer and will still be around for a hell of a lot longer. I'd love to see an option that lets me use RTF for writing and formatting my notes.
Last, but certainly not least, the color coding is helpful, but honestly colorful stickynotes are only helpful because the paper is the color, not just a small stripe along the edge. Let's see an option where the note itself is color color coded. We shouldn't have to parse a tiny 2-3px stripe to determine how we might have possibly meant to organize the note.
Developer Response ,
iCloud is done now. RTF is part of our future plan. For now we greyed out the MD markup.
Colored notes - done.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- 13.1 MB
- Requires macOS 10.15 or later.
- Age Rating
- Copyright © 2020-2021 Apptorium
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.