Write naturally with your Apple Pencil on Live Paper with Penbook.
Build your perfect notebook from more than one hundred types of stationery. Then, use the best digital inking technology to pour your ideas, notes, plans, and dreams into it.
Penbook's Live Paper is way smarter than ordinary stationery. Schedule your life on a monthly planner that shows a real calendar, organize your day with a day planner that shows you what time it is, and record your nutrition on a food diary that knows what day it is.
Give your notebooks colorful covers with fun art, and share them so your notes are always where you need them.
• Live Paper, the dynamic stationery that uses the smarts of your iPad
• Over one hundred variations of academic, scientific, and planning stationeries
• Write naturally with your Apple Pencil or finger
• Unlimited unique cover combinations for your notes
• Search your handwritten notes for words or phrases
Penbook has a huge selection of customizable stationery, and each page of your notebook can be different, turning your iPad into a magic notebook:
• Blank stationery, with an optional date and configurable margin
• Ruled paper with variable density
• Graph paper with four options for square sizes
• Dot stationery, either squared or isometric (offset), in four different densities and four different dot sizes
• Cross stationery with configurable margins and density
• To Do pages with four layout options
• Day planner paper with a live updating timeline and calendar, and three customizable layout options
• Weekly planner paper that highlights the current time and date with live elements
• Monthly planner paper that keeps track of the current day and shows you what's coming next
• Yearly stationery for getting a complete overview of your next 365 days
• Cornell paper for taking perfect study notes
• French ruled (Séyès) paper with configurable density
• Penmanship practice paper
• Table stationery with customizable row and column counts
• Polar graph paper for plotting radial data with customizable density, gridline weight, and color
• Semi-log and loglog paper for plotting data with exponential growth or decay
• Isometric stationery with equilateral (60-60-60) or isosceles (75-75-30) triangles for sketches that need absolute scale on more than one face
• Perspective paper, configurable with one, two, or three vanishing points, from a frontal, acute, or oblique perspective
• Developer stationery with 5 device stencils and configurable note-taking areas - perfect for sketching out the next big app
• Storyboard paper with 3 frame aspect ratios and dozens of layout options
• Engineering paper with variable density and background grid opacity
• Chemistry paper for easily sketching organic molecules
• Staff (music) paper that lets you link staves for writing solos, accompaniments, or quartets
• Tablature paper with toggles for vocal parts and chord charts
GET THE MOST OUT OF PENBOOK
Use all of Penbook's stationery and writing features in a single notebook for free.
Upgrade to Penbook Pro to create and export unlimited notebooks, receive access to new stationery and covers as they're designed, and get regular app updates.
You can upgrade either by purchasing a yearly subscription or a one-time (lifetime) in-app purchase.
Payment will be charged to your Apple ID account at the confirmation of purchase. Subscription automatically renews unless it is canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. You can manage and cancel your subscriptions by going to your account settings on the App Store after purchase.
Apple Pencil was our first love, but wow, that Magic Keyboard! Lots of treats in this build – read on.
MAGIC KEYBOARD SUPPORT - This update brings some great features tailored specifically for those new keyboards everyone *definitely needed*. We're not here to judge your purchases; we're here to support them with great keyboard shortcuts and fancy cursor effects, and you can expect to find plenty of them here! You can now create books, navigate through Penbook, customize your pages, and a whole lot more, straight from your keyboard. And whatever you can't do with your keyboard, we've made sure the trackpad experience is vastly improved also.
FRESH NEW STATIONERY PICKER - We completely overhauled the stationery picker - it's prettier, faster, and easier to use. Now it's even easier to switch between Penbook's massive list of stationery options.
YEARLY CALENDAR STATIONERY - Check out the brand-new yearly calendar stationery. See the entire year at once, in rows or columns, aligned on days of the week or days of the month. Super useful for high-level planning, picking vacation days, project timeline charts, and anything else that needs 365 little days on one page.
EMAIL US, WE'RE NICE - And as always, we'd love to hear from you about any features you want to see (or bugs ;). Email us anytime at email@example.com :) We've got a lot more in the pipeline, so keep an eye on these update notes.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
While I think there are things that can be improved with this app, it has a lot of potential and I am really enjoying it. It hasn’t yet taken the place of my normal note-taking apps since there is no zoom function (where one writes in a smaller box that tracks across the page). It is the lack of features that more traditional note taking apps have that made me give it 4 rather than 5 stars. But I LOVE the different page layouts. Honestly, this is the absolute best app if one wants to make a digital bullet journal, which is what I’m using it for. When I had a problem their support team got back to me really fast and were really nice about it.
A couple things I would like to see changed include the following: it may just be me but I accidentally activate it to turn the page all the flipping time when I’m writing. It is extremely sensitive. Also, I would like the ability to drag pages around to put them in a different order. As I mentioned above, including a few standard features that other note apps have would also be great. And I look forward to Apple improving their basic writing tools that this app relies on. Maybe it’s because I don’t have one of the newest Apple pencils but the writing tool bar is really big and I like to hide it for less distraction...but that makes the eraser and undo really annoying to get to. That’s not this apps fault but I do hope it evolves into something with a bit more finesse.
Penbook for UX Design
This app has unexpectedly become a huge asset in my workflow for UX design. I see it’s shown for more general note-taking style usage, but there are some awesome device templates for designers/developers. Can sketch a quick wireframe with the Apple Pencil or draw out some mind maps on a dotted canvas. I’ve only had one app crash so far - but work was saved/not lost in the crash.
Would be really cool if they implemented some kind of infinite canvas feature, essentially a digital whiteboard. Like you’d find in design tools, e.g. Sketch. I currently export each wireframe sketch in a Penbook device template, one by one through Airdrop, and paste those exported images into a Sketch canvas that can fit all of them. So I think this infinite canvas and being able to insert multiple device templates onto that infinite canvas could help me out a lot as a user here. Aside from that, some sort of mind map feature/template could help cover that mind map niche as well. Keep on the solid app work here!
Small stuff like being able to use custom images for book images instead of the default gradient + icon now. And maybe a font change (SF?) for the default book title type.
Developer Response ,
Hey, thanks a lot for a really nice review. Super cool to hear how you're using the app – glad it's helping you!
Great suggestions too. We'll pass them to the product team and add your vote to the ones that already exist in the pipeline.
Looking forward to delivering some cool updates for you.
Missing 4 things before I can recommend it
I like this app for the following:
- It’s native iPad interaction style including pencil integration
- The built-in stationery is flexible
- The automatic date generation for pages is a big plus
However, it’s missing 4 things that I absolutely need
1. No sync across devices. It won’t even sync between 2 iPads (my current case)
2. No Mac or iPhone version (how to reference things when not at the specific iPad you created the notebook on)
3. Inability to export a subset of pages as a pdf
4. Inability to export a single sheet as a pdf
Additionally, there are numerous bugs where things like preferences don’t seem to stick and are not always applied. To get my purchase to apply across both iPads, I actually had to delete the app and re-install on one of them.
There are numerous nice to have features that I would also like, but they are not showstoppers.
All of this said, I purchased a lifetime license with the hope that development will continue in a direction that allows me to turn to using this full time. The initial direction is promising.
Developer Response ,
Hi Bud, thanks so much for your feedback and for supporting us with your purchase. We’re working hard to deliver a few of the items on your list – can’t wait for you to see it.
- User Camp Inc.
- 35.2 MB
Requires iOS 13.2 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- © User Camp Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Penbook Pro $9.99
- Penbook Pro Lifetime $24.99
- Penbook Pro $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.