OptOut News 12+
Independent news you can trust
OptOut Media Foundation, Inc.
Designed for iPad
OptOut is a free news aggregation app that brings you the best of independent media. Read, listen to, and watch news content from financially independent sources—news you won’t find anywhere else.
NEWS WITHOUT CORPORATE BIAS
All content comes from news outlets that are financially independent. No corporate owners. No institutional bias. No conflicts of interest.
OVERLOOKED STORIES THAT MATTER
We feature investigative reporting and stories about climate, democracy, justice, labor, and other important topics. We have a special focus on voices traditionally underrepresented in the media industry.
CURATED BY JOURNALISTS
A diverse team of experienced journalists hand-curates the news of the day, not corporate algorithms designed to boost profitable content.
Follow outlets and individual journalists to create your own personalized feed.
PROTECTING YOUR DATA
OptOut respects your privacy by design and does not sell your preferences or browsing history to advertising firms.
A NONPROFIT RUN BY JOURNALISTS
This app is a project of the OptOut Media Foundation, a nonprofit charity founded and led by journalists, not Big Tech. We’re funded by grants and by you, our audience, not corporations or Wall Street.
Opt Out of the corporate media. Opt in to independent news you can trust.
– You can now subscribe to new notifications topics: Climate, LGBTQ+, and New York.
– Notifications received while the app is open are now routed to the appropriate content, if applicable.
Ratings and Reviews
Best News App
This is my favorite news app! I love that I can follow local news, national news and the local paper from my home town. I also love that I can watch videos or podcasts while scrolling other articles.
Pixel tags and other similar technologies.
Pixel tags. Pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) may be used to, among other things, track the actions of users of the Services (including email recipients), measure the success of our marketing campaigns, and compile statistics about usage of the Services and response rates.
I’m fine with the app owners tracking detailed app activity. But Yikes! using pixel tags to track activity outside the app? Yeah… no. Delete.
Great alternative for news
The app and stories are great. One complaint I have is with the app. I get notifications on different stories, but when I click on the notification I’m sent to the Home Screen of the app instead of the specific story. This kind of kills interest because a lot of times, a specific story piques my interest, but then I don’t want to scroll through to search for that story. Instead. Just have the notification linked to the story it notified me of.
Developer Response ,
Hey there, thanks for this comment. Since you made it, we've updated the app so push notifications go directly to the content referenced in the notification. We hope this improves your app experience! If you're inclined to change your rating and review, please do.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- User Content
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- OptOut Media Foundation, Inc.
- 23.7 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes Infrequent/Mild Contests Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2023 OptOut Media Foundation