Get off the couch and get running with the OFFICIAL Couch to 5K® training app! This oft-imitated program has helped thousands of new runners move from the couch to the finish line. Spend just 20 to 30 minutes, three times a week, for nine weeks, and you’ll be ready to finish your first 5K (3.1-mile) race!
Get more information about the Couch to 5K app here: http://www.active.com/mobile/couch-to-5k-app
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
The Couch to 5K coach you select talks to you during your workouts. To save your battery, Couch to 5K sends audio notifications when your screen is locked or another app is in use.
To be sure you hear the coach during your workout, please do the following:
• Turn on Notifications permissions
• Turn on the hardware ring/silent switch (no red showing)
• Turn your ringer volume up
• Turn off Do Not Disturb (swipe up for Control Panel and the moon button should not be white)
• Within the app, in Settings > Workout Options, be sure the Trainer Volume is up
Without granting notification permissions, during a workout you can click the lock icon at the top left to keep the app active and still hear the coach.
For support please contact us at: MobileSupport@activenetwork.com We would love to hear from you.
WINNER of the 2012 Appy Award for best Healthcare & Fitness App!
• Training plan designed by Active.com trainers
• Choose from 4 different motivating virtual coaches—Johnny Dead, Constance, Billie or Sergeant Block
• Hear human audio cues to guide you through each workout
• Listen to your favorite playlists with in-app music player
• Calculate your distance & pace and map your routes with FREE GPS support*
• Log your workouts and share your progress on Facebook
• Get support from the largest running community on Active.com Trainer
• Repeat workouts and track your best performance
• Treadmill support allows manual entry of workouts
• Track your progress with total distance and average pace
• Graphs for workouts to compare distance and pace
Finished the Couch to 5K program and ready to take your running program to the next level? Check out our 5K to 10K app to prep for your first 10K race here. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/5k-to-10k/id526458735!
"The popular Couch to 5K app helps new runners avoid injury from doing too much, too soon."
—Runners World, June 2012
"It's ridiculously easy to use (it's hard not to, as you just do what you're told) and it's fantastic that you have an encouraging voice talking you through things."
—Engadget, June 2012
"Active.com’s Couch to 5K is one of my favorite… apps. With its customizable features, interactivity, and well-rounded interface, I may actually stay off the couch this time."
—148Apps, October 2011
"I knew as soon as I decided to start the Couch to 5K program that I would need something to keep me accountable—not just to showing up for my training, but to actually doing it properly. Of course there’s an app for that."
—CalorieLab, April 2012
"If you have been struggling to get your buns off the couch and somewhat in shape before the summer hits, training for a 5K is not a bad way to start. If you are looking for a program to help get you there, then the “Couch to 5K” running plan by CoolRunning is probably your best bet if you haven’t done an ounce of athletic activity for a number of years."
—Droid Life, April 2012
• Once you purchase the app, it is yours to keep. It does not expire after 9 weeks.
• Fixed the crash issue when skipping login, redirecting to the workout page.
• Addressed the problem of music volume reduction after reaching the halfway cue.
• Resolved the issue of hidden posts on the Friends page after app reset or sign out.
• Corrected the incorrect status in Favorites.
• Fixed the problem with incorrect posts.
• Improved the display of banners on the self-device when sending Highfives or comments.
• Fixed the notification missing issue.
• Resolved the GPS tracking issue.
• Fixed the comment issue on the log page.
Ratings and Reviews
I’ve had this app as long as it’s been out. I’m in my 40s and have had 2 kids and several moves and then of course COVID hit the world. So I’ve started and stopped running many, many times. Each time I want to restart running I try a new app to help me pace myself so it doesn’t feel too hard and I give up. But I already go back to this app. It just works for me - easy at the beginning and it gets harder slowly so you always feel like you can do it and you’re making progress. HOWEVER - I beg that you update the app so that it syncs with your Apple Watch. I run mainly on a treadmill now - easier on the knees and the rest of the joints. And I can never blame weather for skipping. But since it only tracks your phone, which sits stable on the shelf, there is no tracking. It doesn’t track my distance or improvement or HeartRate… and it could, so easily. So please please please upgrade!
Used to be great...
I was using this running program through the Active website before it became an app. I absolutely loved the program and app (up until about a year and a half ago) and over the years have told so many people to purchase it because it’s one of the best ones I’ve found in terms of building a base without injuries and for not being intimidating, even for new runners. That said, the last year or so I’ve been thoroughly disappointed with the app. It’s buggy, shuts down randomly and doesn’t save the run (other apps I’ve tried that are free, you can just reopen the app if it crashes and the run is still going so you don’t lose everything), and most importantly does not work with the Apple Watch like it claims to (I have a cellular plan and the app, phone and watch are fully up to date). You have to bring your phone with you if you want to see any of the stats (time, distance, pace, interval) and that defeats the purpose. Also, sometimes it’ll queue me to run or walk with a buzz notification on my watch (when I’ve left my phone at home) but most the time doesn't. There’s no telling when it will or won’t work. The convenience this app used to provide isn’t there any more because it’s not keeping up to date with modern technology. Until these issues are fixed I would discourage anyone paying for the app.
App rating not the C-5k program
Overall: This app will help you get through an interval running program in order to be able to run a 5k or at least 20-30mins of consistent jog. I’ve had this app for years (like pre Fitbit) and it really hasn’t adapted to new wearable technologies. Pros: Variety of trainers/motivators, alerts audible over music, alerts push to watch most of the time, breaks out weeks and allows repeats and keeps all the data.
Cons: No way to have an indoor/treadmill run so it vastly underestimates pace. Not sure what the watch version does as it just tells me to open the app on the phone. No way to see timer on watch or lock screen without opening app. Can only “share” results with Facebook or the app community- can’t send in text or use one of the 50 social media programs out there. Race data is significantly lacking - only one run shows in my area under all search parameters and it’s not even the largest race in town.
There’s definitely ways this program can improve but I’m not sure the developers are still interested in doing so, also not sure there’s a market since you can just modify basic workout apps to do the same thing.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Active Network, LLC
- 203 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Active Network, LLC
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.