The Oxford Dictionary of English is widely accepted as one of the highest authorities in the study and reference of the English language globally, with more than 150 years of research into it. Regarded as one of the flagship products in Oxford University Press catalog of dictionaries, the app features advanced search, lookup and learning tools designed by a vastly experienced developer.
WHAT MAKES OXFORD DICTIONARY OF ENGLISH BETTER THAN OTHER DICTIONARIES?
• The very latest vocabulary, 2018 edition, with over 350,000 words, phrases and meanings.
• Tens of thousands of regionally specific entries reflecting the unique richness and global adaptability of the English language.
• The strength of The Oxford English Corpus' research excellence, directly placed at your fingertips.
• 75,000 audio pronunciations of both common and rare words, including those with varying pronunciations.
This app is tailored to professionals, students, and academics alike, as well as anyone who needs a comprehensive and authoritative dictionary of current English at work or at home.
LATEST APP UPDАТES:
• Learn in style with any of the four colorful new themes – the colorful layout will turn your learning experience into an enjoyable routine. Customize your dictionary and benefit from the cheerful mood your favorite color brings you.
• Dive right into the intricacies of the language - with a new and convenient Home page, sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches - you can now get to the desired entry faster than ever.
• Translate and learn as you speak with Talk & Translate – use this speech recognition & text-to-speech app by downloading it for Free from the App Store. The great synergy between the two apps will help you optimize your studies.
SEARCH TOOLS - quickly find words with the functional, clean and easy-to-use interface. Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience, the dictionary combines several search tools to match or predict what are you looking for, including:
• Search autocomplete helps you find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type.
• Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases.
• Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results in seconds.
• Voice search helps you find an entry using your speech.
• Automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ that corrects word spelling and a ‘Wild card’ that allows you to replace a letter or entire parts of a word with '*' or '?' when you don’t know how it`s spelled.
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary. Designed to give you the freedom to structure your studies, this dictionary combines several learning tools to help you be more organized:
• ‘Favorites’ that allow you to create custom folders with lists of words.
• Recent list which helps you to easily review looked-up words.
• Swipe-to-delete functionality in the Recent and Favorites menus.
• Word-of-the-day option to teach you a new word every day.
Feel excited by the new word or definition you just learned? Share your discovery with friends on social media, email or any other option available on your device.
• Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
The good good book
Ohhhh this is that gooooood dic(ticionary)
Ohhh tell me more words ughhhhh yesssssssssss ugh OXFORDoxide harvardcide post imperial imperfection infinite complicated affliction!!!!!!
This thang has more words than you'll ever use even for deadly grad school fools and enough to drown forever in corrected red pen 15 grammatical blood, ecclesiastical extract extinct excited ecstasy. So keep languishing limping landlord of language laughable! English is what we teach when all your relatives are dead. That's progress baby!!!!!!! This review is not dedicated to the sweet stuffy linguaphiles at scribbling and researching away at Oxford keep up the good work. Though ivory towers are ya know a little elitist but at least I understand where you're coming from?
Same dictionary as built in iOS
I am a lover of dictionaries and willingly spent the 10 for this app. It has lots of words, but little detail (Maybe I shouldn’t have expected more etymology than you get in a $10 paperback) and poor functionality (slow to respond when clicking through to read definitions of words used to define your original search term; also no way to click through on an idiomatic phrase used to define a term—you can only click one word at a time, or back out to the search page and type the whole phrase … not very hyper-text-y). Most annoying? iOS’ built-in dictionary appears to have the same words, and features, occasionally even providing greater detail—I’ve been comparing the two for weeks and found this app to be slower than the IOS dictionary, less functional, and obviously less integrated. Most complaints in other reviews were about pop ups. I share those frustrations as well. $10 dollars for an app and I should be able to use a service without being nagged.
Great but not yet exceptional. It’s for one important reason, there isn’t any sort of thesaurus. Not even a basic elementary listing of synonyms “under” the main definition is presented. I truly believe that this should be a rudiment staple seeing how synonyms are the main way we learn and comprehend. For the listed price of the app, this must be accompanied with some form of thesaurus. There is no way around this truth. Implement this and your app will instantly be 5 stars.
** Updated: Issues when scrolling through words. Whether it be on my “Favorites” listings or through Word of the Day. It seems to be an issue this app has in being touch responsive. For instance, I will tap the back arrow to go back but it will only repeat the same word audibly over and over.
Also: When I search for a word and want to put it into a particular folder under my “Favorites” I have to manually put it into that folder. This takes to much time. Especially for an app at this price.
Overall, this app lags often, the Word of the Day reminder rarely corresponds with what shows inside the app once you open it up, the inability to simply press and hold your finger to copy/paste. I could continue on... I have changed my rating from a 4 to a 3.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.