BeatMirror uses your device's built-in microphone to detect musical tempo in real-time. Set a target tempo with the special tempo keyboard and then start the music. A real-time graph of your tempo will appear right away, allowing you to scroll through your tempo history and see trends. Perfect for musicians looking to build their internal rhythm, or to see the tempo of their favorite songs in real-time!
"BeatMirror truly is simplicity at its finest. That quality is missing from most apps who try to cram too many features into one app thus making it difficult to use and many times buggy. We feel like your app is VERY good. We're reviewing BeatMirror and it will be a part of the next show. It's got nothing but thumbs up!" - Phil Smith of "Drummer's Weekly Groovecast" (podcast)
"When I first heard about BeatMirror, I was kind of skeptical but after trying it out for weeks now and playing with it everyday, I'm mindblown. Alex really wanted to put a focus on helping drummers improve their internal clock and I really think he's done so." - Richard Ducat of "Drummers I Like" (podcast)
"Overall, this app is so quick and simple to use, there's not really an excuse as to why you wouldn't use it during practice sessions, just to see how you’re improving. If you're a drummer, having an app on your phone or tablet like BeatMirror just makes sense." - Laura Barnes of MI-PRO (mi-pro.co.uk)
Good music needs good rhythm. But learning to stay on beat—learning to groove—isn't always easy. Build your inner metronome with BeatMirror and catch yourself when you're speeding up or slowing down. Here’s what BeatMirror has to offer:
- Wide tempo range. Tempo detection between 40 bpm and 208 bpm.
- Fast. Detects tempo quickly and accurately.
- Flexible. Accurate across time signatures (e.g., 4/4, 6/8) and rhythm styles (e.g., swing).
- Real-time, scrollable graph. Displays current tempo and tempo history in real-time.
- Easy-to-read interface. Optimized for various light environments, such as stages and practice spaces.
- Tempo keyboard. A special tempo keyboard (with tap pad) lets you set a target tempo easily and intuitively.
- Visual feedback. If you drift from your target tempo, BeatMirror shows a red (slow down!), blue (speed up!), or green (perfect!) indicator.
- Custom count-in. BeatMirror gives you an optional count-in before you start playing.
- Versatile. Perfect for solo practice, band rehearsals, recorded music, and you can even use it at concerts!
- Tutorial. An in-app tutorial gets you up and running in a flash.
TIPS FOR BEST PERFORMANCE:
- Avoid handling your device during tempo measurement.
- Be mindful of competing noise near the device's microphone (e.g., conversation, typing).
- Unplug any headphones with a built-in microphone.
NOTES ON USAGE:
- "Target Tempo." BeatMirror is aimed at musicians and bands looking to build their internal rhythm and musical skills. With that in mind, you are prompted for a "target tempo" (the tempo you're aiming for) prior to tempo detection. To ensure highly accurate results, the detection range is limited to roughly ±20% of your target tempo. (Tempos outside of this range will not be detected.)
- Recorded music. To detect the tempo of recorded music using BeatMirror, follow these steps:
1) Play a song from your favorite music player app using the device speaker (i.e., unplug your headphones). Or, play the song from a different device altogether.
2) Open BeatMirror and set a rough target tempo by tapping along.
3) The song's precise tempo will then be displayed in real-time.
Questions about BeatMirror? Please don't hesitate to get in touch at alex[at]tenkettles[dot]com. Happy practicing! -Alex
Say hello to the new tempo keyboard! Just tap the target tempo button (now with a much bigger tap area) and the new keyboard will pop-up.
You can type in a tempo, tap it out, use the +/– nudge buttons, or even roll the dice for a random tempo. And, just like always, you can drag the target tempo button up or down too.
Big thanks to user Jon S. for the feedback on this.
Please don't hesitate to get in touch with any questions, comments, or feature requests—always happy to hear from you. -Alex (alex[at]tenkettles[dot]com)
Ratings and Reviews
Just What My Drum Teaching Studio Needed!
I’m a professional drummer/teacher who was using and endorsing the BeatNik Rhythmic Analyzer from Onboard Research since 2008. When the company folded in December of 2017, I was dreading the day both my units would malfunction. It used to be a simple matter of me sending them in for a free repair under their lifetime warranty. Now I needed an alternative.
I did some research and stumbled upon the Beat Mirror. It took a little getting used to but is far more simple and intuitive to operate and it doesn’t have the risk of a sensor going bad. The price point is reasonable and having the functionality on both phone and iPad make it super convenient. The developer is very responsive and quick to answer questions and offer solutions.
All in all I’m very pleased with Beat Mirror and know my students will be as well!
I am a drummer, and have been using this both with my iPhone, and with my iPad. Recently I connected the iPad to the wall mounted TV in my studio so the other band members can see what used to be only visible to me. After I first installed it on my iPhone I was at a concert, and I noticed the band was playing to a sequencer. I fired it up, tapped in the target tempo, and bam! BeatMirror showed the tempo and did not waver one bit, as should be expected. When the band resumed playing without the sequencer, the displayed tempo varied appropriately. Most gigging bands are pretty tight, so there wasn’t much variance, like +/- 2/3/4 bpm - which was expected. I’m very happy with it!
Did exactly what it said it would do
I set it next to my computer and used it to monitor a recording of a rehearsal. It gave a real good sense of how well we were keeping time. Will be using this a lot for live rehearsals. Thank you!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Ten Kettles Inc.
- 4.4 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2017–2022 Ten Kettles Inc.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.