Bike Citizens app - the first cycling app designed for cyclists in urban areas and their surroundings! Real-time route calculation prioritizing bike friendly ways. With precise audio notifications, without active data connection, saving battery and roaming costs. Individual routing from easy to fast as well as tracking options. Available in more than 600 cities and regions worldwide.
• Route calculation from every location to every address, prioritizing cycle ways, cycle paths and living streets
• Precise audio notifications
• Works offline: no roaming costs in foreign countries
• Categorized lists of sights, from which you can create individual tours
• Tracking via GPS: biking time and distance overview
• Bicycle optimized map style
• Summary and heat map view of recorded tracks
• Local and international cycling campaigns, like Bike2Work and road safety campaigns
CURRENTLY AVAILABLE MAPS:
• Australia: 16 cities, e.g. Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney
• Austria: all regions & capitals; Vienna, Graz (free)
• Belgium: 8 cities, e.g. Antwerp, Brugge, Brussels
• Croatia: Zagreb
• Czech Republic: Brno, Prague
• Denmark: Bornhom, Copenhagen
• Finland: Helsinki
• France: 40 cities, e.g. Paris, Marseille
• Germany: All regions & 73 cities. Berlin, Munich, Frankfurt, Bremen/Bremerhaven (free), Hannover (free), Fürth (free),
• Hungary: Budapest
• Ireland: Dublin
• Italy: 40 cities, e.g. Florence, Milan, Rome
• Luxembourg: Luxembourg
• Netherlands: 24 cities, e.g. Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague
• Norway: Bergen, Oslo
• Poland: 21 cities, e.g. Warsaw
• Portugal: Lisbon, Porto
• Slovenia: Ljubljana, Maribor
• Spain: 55 cities, e.g. Madrid, Barcelona, Seville
• Sweden: 21 cities, e.g. Stockholm, Malmoe, Gothenburg
• Switzerland: 7 cities, e.g. Basel, Bern, Geneva, Zurich
• Turkey: Istanbul
• United Kingdom: 61 cities, e.g. London, Manchester, Birmingham, Kingston, Coventry
• United States: 67 cities, e.g. New York, Las Vegas, LA
Maps which aren't already for free in the app can be unlocked by:
• "Cycle to Free": When installing a new map, chose the option "Cycle to Free". All you have to do is cycle 100km within 30 days and track your routes.
• Voucher code
• In-app purchase: 4,49€
• Bike Citizens Flatrate: All maps for only 19,99€
• Bike Citizens PRO subscription for 4,99€/month: Unlock profile customization options, unlimited city pack downloads, with even more features coming soon! The subscription will be charged monthly to your iTunes Account and renews automatically every month unless you disable it at least 24 hours before the end of the subscription period from Account Settings. The currently active subscription period cannot be cancelled.
• Eurobike Award 2015
• Apps for Europe Award 2014
WHAT MAPS ARE USED?
The Bike Citizens app (former BikeCityGuide) is a navigation app based on the great OpenStreetMap (OSM), the "Wikipedia of maps". We invite everybody to take a look at wiki.openstreetmap.org in order to learn more about OSM, how it works and how you can contribute. The insider tours were created by local bike messengers, the sights descriptions are from Wikipedia.
HOW TO GET MY SMARTPHONE ONTO MY BIKE?
With the smarthpone mount "Finn" you can mount any phone easily onto the handlebar. Developed by Bike Citizens the mount “Finn” comprises a voucher to download a map of your choice for free. Find out more on http://getfinn.com
If you have questions, suggestions, troubles, please don't hesitate to contact us in order to make this app even better: firstname.lastname@example.org
What are you waiting for? Enjoy your ride and experience how pleasant and relieving it can be to discover your surroundings by bike!
Bike Citizens – Designed for Cyclists, by Cyclists!
Please note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. Bike Citizens keeps GPS on in the background only while navigating.
We present: REGIONS! From now on you can cycle with the "Early Bird" discount through regions. Starting off, large region and federal state maps are available in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg and the whole of Scandinavia. As usual with 100% offline maps and 100% offline route calculation! Enjoy your rides, your Bike Citizens Team.
Ratings and Reviews
Simply the best cycling navigation app for cities
Confidence. That’s what using the Bike Citizens app has given me. In my home town, or any of the 450 cities it covers, I know can load it up and it will get to my destination on a nice ‘quiet’ route (my preference vs ‘fast’).
The increasing availability of shared bicycle schemes such as Santander in London or Citi Bikes in New York, etc, has made cycling a viable and exciting way to explore cities while travelling. So far I’ve used it in 9 cities and it’s been excellent (I paid for the global map upgrade).
Is it perfect? No.
Is it significantly better than Google Maps? Yes. Google Maps is 90~95% there for cars but only 50% there for cycling; our routing needs are different. If you want to reduce the risk of a car accident, be on roads where there’s less cars. Simple. Even for cities I ‘know’, Bike Citizens helps me do that. As an additional bonus, I’ve gotten to know my home city that much better!
- the loud audio ‘turn by turn’ navigation prompts mean you can often navigate without the screen (just place the phone in a top pocket)
- once you’ve downloaded a city you can keep the phone in airplane mode, saving both data and battery usage, and the audio navigation STILL works. This has been INVALUABLE
- this app introduced me to the Finn handle bar navigation aid which is extremely affordable ($10~), portable, and doesn’t require a special phone case (unlike, say, Topeak’s $40+ products)
Quirks (none of which are deal breakers)
- unlike the UK’s CycleStreets app it doesn’t show any bicycle parking. This data is also available in OSM and would be a very useful addition (a small blue dot on the map would suffice)
- while you can select between three routing options, you can’t ‘edit’ the route in app...
- ...so when you divert from the app’s chosen course (because you know a better route, say), you have to listen to it saying ‘recalculating route’, over and over and...
- the app will say ‘take the first to the left’ when really it means ‘take the second left’.
- you can’t search for ‘100 5th Avenue’, only ‘5th Avenue’, which can be annoying for such long streets (solution: find a short street near your destination and use that instead)
- The Komoot app will navigate using street names, not just with ‘turn left’, which can be confusing when faced with multiple options
It’s not often you find an app that genuinely makes your life easier or better; this is one of those gems. ‘Thank you’ to the team who put this together! (June 2019)
Trying to purchase Bay Area South Map
Downloaded the app but was unable to install the “Bay Area South Map”, it says “City Pack not found.” And I’m not willing to purchase the entire world pack for $18. As of right now the app is useless to me, I wanted better bike routes but I can’t even find out if they’re any good before I buy it.
Not functional without in-app pay
No navigation without paying $18 for “all cities.”
- Bike Citizens Mobile Solutions GmbH
- 393 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Dutch, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Bike Citizens Mobile Solutions GmbH
- In-App Purchases
- City Pack for Vienna $3.99
- City Pack Innsbruck $3.99
- City Pack for Graz $3.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.