Blue Planet shows you wonderful satellite imagery of the Earth as your desktop background. The map changes live as the sun travels across the sky, illuminating different parts of the world and leaving others in the shadow of the night.
• Choose from four gorgeous maps.
• Let Blue Planet track the current time or simulate the course of the seasons manually.
• Save screenshots of the current view of the map.
• Place the Blue Planet Icon in the Dock or in the menu bar.
• Use Apple's Core Location technology to show your current location on the map.
• Center the map on your location or have it follow the sun's course across the sky.
• Launch Blue Planet automatically when you start your Mac (optional).
Fixed an issue with determining your location
Ratings and Reviews
There are some annoyances but nothing that warrants anything else than a five star rating. It’s a great app. As another reviewer said, it would be nice if the wallpaper would also change (just to a static image of the map selected would be fine) so that when we go to the launcher, the background image is roughly the same as the wallpaper. Otherwise, it’d be nice to be able to put your own map backgrounds to be used. A simple image and the app itself would use the standard night lights for cities.
Again, great app. Glad you all gave this one away!
for free it is great
i don’t believe you can complain when its free. with that being said this app functions as advertised. Although, it would be totally awesome if they added some extra features, even as a paid upgrade, to maybe display a couple cities with the current weather and exact time as pins on the cities.
Exactly what I was looking for
I thought I was going to have to scour the internet to figure out how to get a day night map on the desktop. But Blue Planet was exactly what I was looking for! It would be nice if it didn’t disappear as typical apps do in Mission Control and App Expose, but the app is quite beautifully done nonetheless.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.