- Fast and Accurate Emulation
- Dynamic Scrollback Buffer
- 256 Colors
- 12 Retro Fonts
Great Mac Integration:
- Drag and Drop Files
- Customizable Keyboard
- Mouse Copy/Paste
- Command-Click to Open URLs
- Save/Recall Favorite Commands
- Choose from a large collection of themes spanning every era.
- Tweak to your heart's content with a dozen real-time sliders.
- Effects include screen curvature, burn-in, scan-lines, and transparency.
- Glowing halos simulate the human eye's reaction to intense brightness.
- Slow down the bitrate like an old modem.
- The quirks of old electronics are charming to the modern eye.
- Watch the strange dance of horizontal desyncs and splitting colors.
- Turn up the static, jitter, and flicker to add an analog warmth.
- Pixels burn-in and slowly fade away when turned off.
- Slow-motion retrace lines show the picture being refreshed.
- Cathode's many lifelike touches constantly surprise and delight.
- Ray tubes burst open in new windows and bounce as they're moved.
- Dynamic perspective, lighting, and shadows raise the bar for app visuals.
- Customizable sound effects highlight your interactions.
- Use an image or webcam photo as glass reflection.
- Immerse yourself and disregard thirty years of user interface progress.
- Impress curious onlookers at work, school, or the cafe.
- Zoom in on virtual pixels for blocky resolutions.
- Works great with multiple monitor setups.
- Hide the clutter of modern computing.
But Wait, There's More!:
- Cathode isn't just a terminal, it's also a great text editor.
- Use familiar dialogs, menus, key combos, and gestures.
- Open any image file to generate ASCII art.
- View your webcam feed as real-time ASCII art.
- Save screenshots.
- iMac, Mac Pro, MacBook Pro: 2007 or newer
- MacBook, MacBook Air, Mac mini: mid-2008 or newer
- Unsupported graphics cards: Intel GMA 950 and X3100, ATI Radeon X1600
- Faster bit-rates.
- Networking security improvements for macOS Sierra.
- Fixed a bug related to uninstalled fonts.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Extremely configurable and well made
the sounds are so great, it made the terminal something FUN. Now i look forward to every time i have to boot it up for IRC or just to upload some html files. Best $$ I’ve spent on an app in my life.
Screenshots don’t do justice to how good this app looks, there are a lot of themes which are beautiful.
A semi functional terminal that works in the most basic of use cases
I’d love to give this app 4 or 5 stars. I think it really deserves it, but for the life of me I can’t figure out why it’s randomly displaying garbage charecters.
When I switch panes in tmux random “q”s show up where my cursor was. When I navigate in neovim there are “q”s everywhere. I have to refresh the buffer to clear them and they’re back after a few seconds. It sort of makes this app unusable. I think the most I could get out of this is loading it up and running a few commands… but anything with a terminal multiplexer and terminal uis with complexity just get messed up with garbage output. :/
So, for what I got this program for, it just doesn’t work. For now, I’ve moved back to alacritty. But I’d love to really get a retro feel in my terminal emulator in the future if these bugs ever get worked out.
Great recreation of the past
Way better customization and graphics than cool-retro-term, but the author hasn't updated for almost 3 years. Developer website went defunct a while back as well. No notice or anything from the developer, and I wish they would at least give some notice if they're not going to support their software anymore. Or even better, open source it!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.