Charlie's Video Player is a video (and audio) player for parents with young children. It locks out on-screen controls whilst playing media so that eager little fingers can't interrupt the playback.
Parents can setup a playlist and configure options, including setting the child lock (a secret combination of tapping the four corners of the screen).
PLEASE NOTE 1: CVP does *not* disable the home/side buttons on your device!!! To do that, *read the User Guide* for how to switch on "Guided Access".
PLEASE NOTE 2: CVP only plays video/audio formats native to iOS and they can only be added via iTunes File Sharing. Read the User Guide for info on preparing videos for CVP and copying them across.
** Features **
- Simple and fast playlist management.
- Change the child lock any time (useful if they work it out!).
- Autoplay on startup (in case you need a distraction fast!).
- Never-ending play (loops your playlist).
- User Guide with tips and tricks.
- Universal app.
- High-resolution UI for retina iPhones and iPads.
- Experimental AirPlay and TV-out.
Charlie's Video Player was made by Charlie's Dad and the Frosty Badger team.
For support and suggestions, tweet us @dominicwa or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fixed the in-app support e-mail address.
Updated the app so it functions and looks better on modern devices.
Updated the user guide and support links/contacts.
Ratings and Reviews
Already a functionality on iPhone
This app works as it should but it’s pretty restricting as far as what they can watch. For anyone just wanting a way to lock their screen so their little ones can’t mess with the videos they’re watching, I just found that there’s already a screen lock function on iPhones called Guided Access. If you enable it, you can control what is allowed to be touched on the screen and for how long.
I bought this app to show videos to my son - almost always videos that I took of him with my phone. There are two problems with this application:
1) You can only get videos to the application via iTunes, so videos taken on your phone need to be downloaded then uploaded, which is ridiculous. The developers say this is a limitation of iOS, which I have a hard time with given iMovie and other video editing apps available for iOS (but if it is true, it seems anti-competitive on Apple's part -again, given iMovie). Regardless, if you use iPhoto to download your movies, finding them to upload again is a pain that adds to the pain of having to down/up-load movies from your phone to your phone.
2) By design, the app always plays movies in landscape mode, even if they were shot in portrait mode, which is frustrating (since I often shoot videos of my son in portrait mode).
Other than that, it works as advertised, but if I had realized the two factors above, I probably wouldn't have bought it.
Charlie's Video Player is exactly what I was looking for. All the other players out there came pre-loaded with videos and I didn't want that. I wanted control over what videos my kids can watch and by adding the videos via iTunes, I have that control. Thanks for the great app!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Dominic Manley
- 20.2 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2012 Frosty Badger