* * Featured on the Wall Street Journal, BBC, The Guardian, TED, VICE Motherboard • Won Editors' Choice Award from PCMagazine * *
* * Looking up will never be the same again! Discover the amazing and unexpected world of clouds with CloudSpotter, your virtual guide to the wonders of the sky. Unlock Stars and Achievements for each new cloud type you spot, and compete with other CloudSpotters around the world! * *
* * *
From the fluffy Cumulus that form on a sunny day, to the rare Noctilucent clouds that shine from the fringes of space, the fleeting beauty and endless variety of clouds have have always fascinated scientists and daydreamers alike.
Fall in love again with this sense of wonder and dreaminess with CloudSpotter, created by Gavin Pretor-Pinney, bestselling author, winner of the Royal Society Winton Prize for Science Books and founder of The Cloud Appreciation Society.
Introducing 40 uniquely different cloud species and light phenomena with hundreds of spectacular photographs and extensive descriptions, CloudSpotter enables you to easily identify and spot them as you look up the sky every day.
Even better yet, CloudSpotter turns cloudspotting into a unique reality-based game by challenging you to earn Stars, unlock Achievement Badges and compete against other CloudSpotters around the world as you build your cloud collection.
A perfect sky-gazing companion for long walks, cross-country road trips or train rides, and above the clouds from the window seat of a plane, where you might even spot the elusive Glory optical effect; a beautiful halo of rainbow colors around your shadow.
* * *
• The CLOUD LIBRARY features 40 unique cloud formations and optical effects, from the common Rainbow to the rare and beautiful Asperitas cloud, with hundreds of stunning photos and all of Gavin's entertaining explanatory notes from the Cloud Collector's Handbook. Learn what makes each formation special, and how to identify the clouds and light phenomena you spot in the sky.
• You win STARS for each new cloud type you successfully spot. The rarer the cloud, the more Stars you earn! Grow your CLOUD COLLECTION and complete special challenges to earn 20 beautiful, hand-drawn CloudSpotter ACHIEVEMENT BADGES.
• Our team of cloud experts carefully verifies each spotting. That’s right, real people will look at your cloud photos to confirm whether you identified them right!
• Collect all 40 cloud formations and complete your CloudSpotter collection with 115 Stars to clear the legendary TRIUMPH IN THE SKIES Achievement.
• Not sure about the kind of cloud or optical effect you see? The unique CLOUD IDENTIFIER makes figuring out what exactly you are spotting a breeze! Just answer a few questions, and CloudSpotter will tell you what exactly you are most likely looking at.
• Compete against your friends and CloudSpotters around the globe: See how well you fare against the growing worldwide community of cloud lovers on the app’s RANKINGS.
• Browse the CLOUDSTREAM, a live feed of weird and wonderful cloud photographs by other CloudSpotters worldwide. Every day, we select our favorite photo and feature it at the top. If one of your photographs is selected, it will earn you the special "Photo of the Day" Achievement Badge. Not an easy get!
* * *
LOVE FOR CLOUDS AND CLOUDSPOTTER:
"I can strongly recommend the app. It's a fun, educational, and challenging tool to help you identify, understand, and appreciate the wide variety of clouds that float above our world." (Tony Hoffman, PCMagazine – Editor Rating: Excellent)
"It makes you stare into the sky and think about what you are seeing. And as you start to understand what each cloud in the sky is, you start to appreciate them more." (Shaun McGill, Lost in Mobile)
"The best part was seeing photos of clouds snapped by other users!" (Tatiana Baez, VICE Motherboard)
* * *
Read more about CloudSpotter and preview our introduction video "The World of Clouds" on CloudSpotterApp.com.
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
• We've fixed a critical issue that could cause the app to crash when reuploading a spotting.
New features in 1.2:
• Spotting a small cloud or feature? Zoom in with the tap of a button!
• Tapped away the help screens a little too quickly? You can now view them again to your heart's content.
• App sounds are now silenced by default. If you miss them, just re-enable sounds in Settings.
Fixes in 1.2:
• Never miss a verification or a new badge: Push notfications work again.
• No more blackouts during update notifications.
• Better compatibility with iOS 9 and iPads.
• Various bugfixes and stability improvements.
• Note: If your spotting locations have been blank since the last app update, simply reinstall CloudSpotter. It's a permissions issue that can't be fixed any other way.
We won't bug you in the app to leave a review, but if you enjoy CloudSpotter, it would mean so much if you would share this by rating & reviewing the app on the App Store. Thank you!
Like fb.com/CloudSpotterApp or follow @CloudSpotterApp on Twitter to stay up to date with the latest news, and read the FAQ on our website for answers to your most frequent questions and suggestions. Happy cloudspotting!
Ratings and Reviews
When uploading a cloud photo that is incorrectly identified, it would be nice to know what cloud it actually is. This would help with learning and proper identification. I realize the verification of clouds is likely done by volunteers so this may not be possible. Also, which clouds are considered ‘rain clouds’ for achieving the Silver Lining badge of a rain cloud and a rainbow in the same day. Would it be any cloud that produces rain light, heavy or otherwise? Thank you :) ⛅️🌦⛈☁️🌨🌩 Finally, how do I delete failed uploads from my cloud collection? Thank you for this fun, educational app! Trish
Let me use my photo library, please
Sometimes I take a quick pic of a cloud I want to identify later. It would be a huge plus for me to be able to access my photo library rather than taking the pic in the app.
Great but more please
I love using this.
But I would like more cloud types and features, like all the different types of cirrus and individual features in a larger formation like fractus. As well as other stuff I don't know about.
I'd also like expanded sections on what you can predict about weather and airflow from the clouds and changing formations.
I'd be prepared to pay for a higher detail add on to what is already a great app.
Thanks for making my days more fun.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Cloud Appreciation Ltd
- 121.6 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- CloudSpotter © The Cloud Appreciation Society
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.