The ultimate ear training app for musicians. Develop your relative pitch to the full by improving your aural skills and your music theory knowledge. This will better many aspects of your life as a musician, be it regarding improvisation, composition, arrangement, interpretation, singing, or playing in a band. Designed like a video game and with strong pedagogical concepts in mind, this app will make you truly master each interval, chord, scale, etc. before taking you to the next one.
• 150+ progressive drills arranged over 4 levels / 28 chapters
• 11 drill types, 24 intervals, 36 chord types, chord inversions, 28 scale types, melodic dictations, chord progressions
• Easy mode: 50+ progressive drills arranged over 12 chapters especially designed for beginners
• Play a selection of 21 drills in arcade mode
• 5 octaves of actual recorded grand piano sounds
• 7 additional sound banks are available, all with actual recorded sounds: vintage piano, Rhodes piano, electric guitar, harpsichord, concert harp, strings and pizzicato strings
• In each chapter, a theory card will introduce you to the concepts you will need to know
• No need to know how to read music on a staff
• Designed like a video game: earn 3 stars in each drill of a chapter to unlock the next one. Or will you be able to obtain perfect 5-star scores?
• Don't want to follow the preestablished path of progression? Create and save your own custom drills and rehearse them at your own convenience
• Create full custom training programs and invite friends or students to join them. If for example you're a teacher you can create custom programs for your students, add drills every week and view their scores on private leaderboards
• Never lose any progress: cloud sync across your various devices
• Apple Game Center: 25 achievements to unlock
• Apple Game Center: worldwide leaderboards (global, per level, per chapter, easy mode, arcade mode)
• Global statistics to track your progress
• Nice and clean material design user interface with 2 display themes: light and dark
• Designed by a musician and music teacher with a Royal Conservatory master's degree
• Download the app and try out the first chapter of each mode for free
• One-time in-app purchase of $4.99 to unlock the full version on all your Apple devices
Having a problem? Got a suggestion? You can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org
• A few typo, crashes and bugs have been fixed
Ratings and Reviews
Can teach even the thick-headed
Wow. This app is changing my world! I’ve been in composing classes and in awe of all the students who just hear the chord types off the bat. That seemed like such an unattainable dream. I have been using this for about five weeks now and the results are astounding. I got stuck on phase two in “easy mode” for about ten days, trying to distinguish between harmonic fourths and fifths. I tried about a half hour a day and got so frustrated and felt so stupid. But one day I had a breakthrough and can hear SO much better! Chords and relationships that were opaque are crystal clear now. This is really helping my composing and the pitch when I sing. It’s also really helping me retain melodies that I write for much longer. Now that I can hear all the jumps in them, my brain can stop floundering and remember so much more. This app was EXACTLY what I needed and will highly recommend it to my friends.
Not enough time
This is the best ear training app I have found. It has flexibility and great sound quality. The only problem for me is I did extremely well with the first steps
I mastered them right away. When I got to harmonic chords I hit a wall. I have been stuck for 6 months working on it several times a week. The requirement of 4 seconds for each chord is too short. Could you make an adjustment to 6 seconds? Thanks.
I changed my review to 5 stars. It is very challenging and most useful. Thanks, Stephanie. Any plans to add chord progressions?
Developer Response ,
Hello and thank you for your review. You should try to hear a chord as a whole, try to recognize its color. 4 seconds is really enough for this. Maybe be sure to use a headset though! If you're above 4 seconds, it means you're not totally there yet, just be patient. But if you don't want to, just use the "free progression" option in the settings. Even if we would agree on this, we couldn't change it without invalidating hundred of thousands of scores both local and on the online iOS and Android leaderboards. That would be a huge problem. Fortunately, we don't want to! :) Best, Stéphane. UPDATE: thank you! Chord progressions are in level 3 (they are called "Chord and degrees"). You can practice them by enabling "free progression" and going to level 3, in Arcade mode, or by making a custom drill. Hope it helps, best, Stéphane.
I like it, but…
I got all the way through “Easy Mode” and then started “Classic Mode,” which is definitely more difficult. There, I am stuck in Level 1 (of 4), specifically on Chapter 4, Major and Minor Chord Inversions. I can easily distinguish between triad inversions presented in melodic (arpeggio) form, but cannot do it when presented in harmonic (chord) form. I have probably tried 100 times or more. I think the problem is that I am hearing overtones of the piano, rather than just the notes struck. In any event, I wish the app creators or someone would provide some help getting past this point.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Binary Guilt
- 52.1 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, French, German, Indonesian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- © Binary Guilt Software
- In-App Purchases
- Full Version $4.99
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.