Concepts is a flexible space to think, plan and create. Sketch plans and whiteboard on the infinite canvas, write notes, doodles and mindmaps, draw storyboards, product sketches and design plans, then share with friends, clients and other apps.
Concepts’ vector nature means every stroke is editable. Pens, pencils, watercolor… if you mess up, just fix it with the Nudge, Slice and Select tools.
Concepts is used by amazing people at Disney, Playstation, Philips, HP, Apple, Google, Unity and Illumination Entertainment to take ideas from concept to reality. Join us!
• an infinite canvas sketchbook / whiteboard with many paper types and grids
• dozens of realistic pens, pencils and brushes that flow with pressure, tilt and velocity, plus create your own for comfortable and flexible drawing
• a tool wheel or bar you can personalize with your favorite brushes and presets
• customize your gallery, canvas, tools, gestures, everything
• the beautiful COPIC color wheel
• editable vector-based sketching - move, organize, edit by tool, color, size, scale, smoothing, opacity; transform or nudge lines to shape them anytime
• drag+drop images + PDF files right onto the canvas
• unlimited layers with adjustable opacity
• create, store and share vector object libraries synced across devices
• shape guides, scale and measurement tools that calculate real-world dimensions - useful for architects, contractors and makers
• define exports with a custom movable artboard, and export images, vector SVG + PDFs to scale for printing, portfolios, team + client feedback and efficient flow between apps (including Procreate, Sketchbook, AutoCAD and Adobe)
• share directly to email, text, Files, cloud, photos, your favorite social apps and present with AirPlay
"I use Concepts more than any other tool. I absolutely love it. The natural, fluid, vector-based workflow is so easy to use, but incredibly powerful. The technology never gets in the way of creativity. The fast and clean user experience makes it a joy to use.” - Yarrow Cheney, film director
"The Concepts app has not changed what I do, just transformed how I do it. It offers me the power, flexibility and adaptability of technology with all the sensitivity and immediacy of traditional hand drawing. In short, it is an app that I now cannot imagine being without, and the only time I’ve experienced something that betters pen and paper.” - Ewen Miller, Calderpeel Architects
“I use it just for everything. Drawing, making notes, brainstorming, PDF markup, wireframing, design — EVERYTHING. And it delivers.” - natanaeldekross
Sketch FREE. Enjoy awesome tools, COPIC colors, five layers, our infinite canvas, paper + grid types, and JPG exports. Optimized for use with the Apple Pencil.
Pay-As-You-Go. Become powerful with Essentials and edit your strokes; unlock infinite layers, shape guides, measurement, basic shapes and custom brushes. Export PNG, PSD, SVG, DXF and CPT native file formats. Object packs, professional brushes and PDF sold separately.
Subscribe to Concepts Everything and sketch freely with every feature, brush + object library we’ll ever make. Enjoy Team Sharing for smooth collaboration, including live-sharing of object libraries, color palettes and brushes.
If you opt to subscribe monthly or yearly, payment will charge to your iTunes Account at time of purchase. Your plan will renew automatically at the price shown above within 24 hours of billing period end unless turned off beforehand. You can cancel or make changes at any time in your iTunes Account settings. Unused portions of any free trial period are forfeit if you make changes to your subscription.
We’re dedicated to quality and update often. Your experience matters to us. Chat with us in-app via Ask Us Anything, email us at email@example.com, or find us anywhere with @ConceptsApp.
COPIC is the trademark of Too Corporation. Many thanks to Lasse Pekkala and Osama Elfar for cover art!
This is a modernization and bug fix update with a couple notable changes:
• Concepts is now authorized by Apple to use additional RAM for larger drawings!
• Shape Guides are now sharper than ever in preparation for the journey across platforms.
• Drawing with the Shape Guides now works (again) while your fingers hold the handles.
• Fixed a bug where the color picker was left stuck in the upper left corner if activated from the color wheel.
• Fixed a bug where tapping on the canvas did not close on-screen menus if the finger action was set to “select”.
• Fixed a bug where tapping with the Apple Pencil would occasionally be ignored.
• Fixed a bug where layers in Procreate could not be dragged to Concepts.
• Fixed a bug where strokes drawn with certain brushes using 100% smoothing disappeared when zoomed in far enough.
Stay tuned to @ConceptsApp on your favorite channel to be the first to hear about updates. If you’re in a good mood, please leave a five-star review on the App Store and appreciate our hard work and progress. Your feedback makes the app better every day. Thank you!
The Concepts Team @ TopHatch
Ratings and Reviews
I’ve been using Concepts for over a year, during which time it’s evolved from “oh, that’s nice” to an absolutely essential part of my workflow. My main use of Concepts is for various kinds of technical sketching/drafting purposes. Everything from concept drawings for projects destined for the workshop and/or CAD, pattern drafting complex fiber arts work, and much more. I’m not a production visual artist; rather Concepts is my first-stop design studio.
As such, Concepts’ infinite canvas, layers, and vector-vs-pixel based model are the key features that make my work a joy. With the infinite canvas, I can seamlessly work and sketch on related ideas & drawings, then rearrange and/or export what I need for inclusion in other documents. Layers are a gigantic timesaver, making it easy to select, duplicate, and modify various “slices” of my work, allowing easy correction of mistakes, evolution of ideas, and eliminating lots of tedious redrawing. Likewise, the vector model plays into the layer support, making it straightforward to select, group, and edit individual artifacts.
All that’s the tip of the iceberg. As you get further into it, so many features come together to make your work better and faster. How about a *tiny* bit of smoothing to clean up my janky line work? Or crank smoothing to 100% for minute to get ruler-straight lines without even having to break out the “Precision” tools.
Limited text handling
I've been using Concepts 5 with the purchased Essentials pack for 24 hours now to work out a design for a Web site. Having an infinite size canvas is wonderful! The drawing tools are great, though certainly no more so than other superb apps like Tayasui Sketches. And the tutorial videos are also great, though they could benefit from being more bite-size like the 2 - 4 minute tutorials for Serif's Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher apps. A huge plus for Concepts seems to be that they have a business model which enables significant ongoing development of the app. Having said that however, what I had hoped for in Concepts —given the idea development nature of the app— was, in addition to the cool drawing tools, to have better text handling. For instance, it really needs text flow wrap within a resizable text box, and the ability to choose a font — the basic cmd-t functions of other apps would be a huge step forward even if there were no user-defined text styles. Maybe i'm not understanding some things, so if I discover that I've misunderstood the text features, then I'll edit this review. Finally, i want to say that I'm not interested in subscription apps, so if Concepts had not provided have the one-time purchase options, I would not have bothered with it.
I started using this app 1 day before the release of version 5. I made this sprawling and complex drawing of a customer journey map to map out the design of a brand new feature we’re working on for our app. I found the version 4 UI highly functional but felt it was really complicated and busy. I was only using the free version, since that was fulfilling my needs.
That all changed with version 5. Version 5 introduces an all-new UI (and payment structure) which massively simplifies the controls while drawing, and lets you hide and show different panels if they’re in the way (the Layers button for example). I’m still confused about how the color palates work, so I’m using the “Recent” color palate and that’s doing the job. This tool feels indispensable to me now. That infinite canvas is amazing, and the sketch tools and features feel like a super expensive piece of drawing software at a fraction of the price.
My favorite feature, and why it’s awesome for drawing journey maps and wireframes for designing apps, is Concepts’ infinitely-sized canvas. It’s like the biggest whiteboard ever and you can just keep going and going. Making super long journey map type of work is nearly impossible on fixed page size drawing apps, so this is truly revolutionary for me.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Usage Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- TopHatch, Inc.
- 136.5 MB
- Graphics & Design
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © TopHatch, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Essentials $14.99
- Everything Monthly + Trial $4.99
- Everything Monthly $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.