This app turns your iOS device into a professional sound level meter, detects halmful environmental noises, and helps protect your hearing and health.
"Decibel X" is one of very few noise meter apps on the market that has highly reliable, pre-calibrated measurements and supports dBA, dBC. It turns your iOS device into a professional sound level meter, precisely measures the sound pressure level (SPL) all around you. This extremely useful and beautiful tool will not only be a great tool for many uses but also bring you a lot of fun. Have you wondered how quiet is your room or how loud is a rock concert or sport event? "Decibel X" will help you answer all of those.
WHAT MAKE IT GREAT AND STAND OUT FROM OTHER APPS:
- Trusted accuracy: the app is tested and pre calibrated for all Apple devices. The precision is matching with real SPL devices
- Apple Watch support: see noise level right from your wrist
- Health App integration: export noise levels directly into Health app.
- Frequency weighting filters: ITU-R 468, A, B, C, Z
- Powerful, smart history data management:
+ Recording data can be saved into a list of history records for future access and analysis
+ Each record can be exported as hi-res PNG graph or CSV text via sharing services
+ iCloud support which synchronize all history records across your Apple devices
+ Fullscreen mode to give overview the whole history of an record
- Dosimeter with NIOSH, OSHA standards
- FFT and BAR graphs to display real time FFT. Those are very useful for frequency analysis and musical tests. Real time predominant frequency is also displayed.
- WAVE graph with 2 display modes: Rolling & Buffer
- InstaDecibel to capture your dB report overlaid on photos and easily shared via popular social networks (Facebook, Instagram, Messages, etc.).
- Support both Portrait and Landscape layouts
- Beautiful, intuitive and carefully crafted UI design
- Optimized for iOS 11
OTHER GREAT FEATURES:
- Standard time weightings (Response Time): SLOW (500 milliseconds) and FAST (200 milliseconds)
- Trimming calibration from -15 dB to 15 dB
- Standard measurement range from 30 dBA up to 130 dBA
- HISTO graph for plotted history of the recorded values
- Real time scale level chart
- Display Current, Average/Leq, and Max values with both nice and clear digital and analog layouts
- Quick reference text to help you compare with real-life examples
- "Keep Device Stay Awake" option for long duration recording
- Reset and clear current recording at any time
- Tap on Max value to reset at any time
- Pause/Resume the tool at any time
- Please do not expect a quiet room reading will be 0 dBA. The range 30-130 dBA is the standard usable range and an average quiet room will be about 30 dBA.
- Although all devices are pre-calibrated, custom calibration is suggested for serious purposes requiring higher precision and accuracy. You will need a real external device or calibrated sound meter as a reference, then adjust the trimming calibration until the reading matches with the reference.
* Choose from different subscription options. Our standard subscription options are:
* Subscription payments will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of your purchase and upon commencement of each renewal term. Subscription with a free trial period will automatically renew to a paid subscription. You can cancel your subscription or free trial in the iTunes settings at least 24-hours before the end of the free trial period. The cancellation will take effect the day after the last day of the current subscription period and you will be downgraded to the free service.
* Please note: any unused portion of a free trial period (if offered) will be forfeited when you purchase a premium subscription during the free trial period.
* EULA: http://www.skypaw.com/decibelx/terms.html
Thanks for using Decibel X! Here's what's new for the version 9.3.0:
∿ We listen to your feedback and completely remove all ads without premium upgrade
∿ Support logarithm scale for spectrogram
∿ Add "Impulse (50ms)" response time
∿ Improve Calibration UI for better fine tunes flow
∿ Enable iCloud Sync will now include audio data by default
∿ Drastically reduce app size
∿ Improve histo graph UI for better visualization
∿ Upgrade components
∿ Various improvements & fixes
What to expect in upcoming versions:
∿ Set notification alarm when exceeded a preset threshold
∿ Support external mics
∿ Hearing test
Ratings and Reviews
Really Nice; How About This.
This is a great tool for audio enthusiast and semi pro apps.. very useful. How about this developer... what if you had a filter for the audio enthusiast that instead of showing air plane, riveter, streets noise, etc, it showed whispering, quiet conversation, normal conversation, public speaking, quiet church music, typical church music, loud church music, Jazz, Orchestra, Country Music Concert, Rap Music, Rock Concert. Each of these have associated typical levels such as...
60~67 Quiet Conversation
67~70 Normal Conversation
70~72 Public Speaking
82~92 Quiet Church Music
92~95 Typical Church Music
95~102 Loud Church Music
115~125 Rock Concert
Etc... you get the idea
These are all subject to I individual styles and preferences but the ideas is to get close, some type of base line for people who really have no idea what they’re doing but they knobs anyway (and you know who you are). This is very common in church music and small clubs where speakers mics are either so soft people lose interest or so loud it’s annoying. Or when the band is so soft it ruins the mood or so loud it’s dangerous to your ears. Many churches have no idea what is appropriate sound levels or what is borderline dangerous. I think this might be very helpful.
Very Good, With One Quibble...
I’ve used a couple sound meter apps over the last few years along with a commercial quality sound level meter. I would put this up there with the best of what I’ve used. This review is for the purchased, “pro” version of the software. That I can pay $4.99 and use the processing capabilities of my iPhone in leu of spending $150+ on a professional, stand-alone meter blows my mind.
The level of detail shown in the various portions of the screen offer a broad range of information to the user. You get both numerical and graph output as well as dial analog output of minimum and maximum readings, duration, etc.
One quibble is that when I pause the meter and reset it, it asks if I really want to, which is okay, but immediately restarts the sound reading, even if I don’t want it to. Also, I’d like for a reset to take the meter back to “0”. It restarts at the prior average. I would like to see these twin issues corrected, and I’d then give the app 5 stars.
Misleading app name, free version measures dBZ only
The app name is dB, dBA Noise Meter but what the developer doesn't tell us is that the app only reads Z-weighted decibels (dBZ) and not A-weighted decibels (dBA) in the free version. All the guidelines and standards say to measure noise levels in dB(A) as A-weighted decibels correspond to human hearing. So it's really misleading to the public who don't know any better.
dB(Z) levels are typically 10 decibels or more higher than dB(A) so people are always getting the wrong readings, unless they purchase the A-weighted portion. No explanation is provided, it's truly a disservice to people who think they're getting a good reading of their noise environment. Remember, a 3 dB increase in level means double the energy that reaches the ear, so 10 dB at the ear is a huge difference.
Developer should make this information available to the public. They benefit from their top ranking on the app store but forget they are spreading misinformation by not explaining to the public the difference between dBZ and dBA. I will gladly pay $10 for an app that provides readout in A-weighted decibels.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- SkyPaw Co. Ltd
- 46.1 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2021 SkyPaw
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly Membership $4.99
- Weekly Membership $1.99
- Annual Membership $29.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.