DianHua Dictionary is a Chinese English dictionary for iOS. Using data from the CC-CEDICT project, DianHua Dictionary provides search support for English, Mandarin Pinyin (with or without tones), Traditional Characters, Simplified Characters, and mixed searches consisting of any combination of the above.
Other features of DianHua Dictionary include:
- Search History: All search terms entered into the Search field are stored in your Search History. Touch any term in the list to see the results.
- Bookmarks: Arrange all of the words you are studying into a nested hierarchy of Folders.
- Writing Practice: Under the Study tab, you can practice typing or writing characters using any of the iPhone's Simplified or Traditional keyboards, including the character drawing keyboards. Choose whether you want to see Pinyin and/or English for the prompt and draw or type the appropriate Chinese character into the box provided.
- Flashcards: Select any combination of Traditional, Simplified, English, and Pinyin for the Front and Back of the cards and grade your confidence in your answer. If you choose to use the Difficulty sorting algorithm, more difficult words will be shown more often than words you tend to answer correctly.
- Numbers: Convert numeric entries to Simplified and/or Traditional variants including their Banking equivalents. Touch the audio icon to hear arbitrary numbers spoken.
- DianHuaDictionary.com: Search from your browser, sync between multiple devices, export, and import data.
iOS 11 compatibility
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
I'm so glad this app is out and free! Overall, it's great, but there are a few things that will make this a 5 star app for me. Like another reviewer said, the tops of the Chinese characters are cut off. Another issue is the translation from Chinese to English. The dictionary doesn't give the best, most straight-forward translation in the first few choices given and the actual translation I'm looking for is usually hidden somewhere toward the end. "Dian hua", for example, should very logically point to "telephone", but the first half of the choices are all longer phrases with "dian hua" in it. The app also doesn't seem to recognize pinyin without the tone markings, so I have to search "dian4 hua4" rather than just "dian hua", which most other translation software can deal with. Overall, a great job, and I look forward to updates that correct these issues!
Great and very handy
This is such a convienent and easy way to to look up words using my iPhone's internation keyboards not only am I able to look up pinyin but I can also draw the character and see the definition. This is a great app. I would definately recommend it. And it's free so what do you have to lose? If you don't like it delete it and you h e not lost anything.
My review is miss one star because frequently when I try to search something it reterns "no matches." and then to make sure I input 中 to see what it says and there are still "no matches" for the this important charcter. I don't know why it does that but it really does hinder my use of this app.
Great App for Students, Now More than Ever
Thank you for this fantastic app. Problems I mentioned in an earlier version of this review have been corrected in one way or another: The tops of the characters on the results list are no longer cut off, plus the size of their display is controllable so we can better see their strokes--wonderful! The program still always starts up in English search mode, regardless of whether the user normally looks up Chinese, but now a search for hanzi will proceed normally even the program is in English search mode, so this is not a problem. This is a tool every Chinese language students should have, because it will do the same job as stand-alone electronic dictionaries which cost hundreds of dollars--and it is free!
- Jason Koeninger
- 123.8 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © 2009-2017 JSQ, LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.