You've found Drum Journey, the first app for shamanic journeying.
Shamanic journeying, as you probably already know, is a kind of insight meditation. It’s a spiritual practice that combines visualization with acoustic accompaniment, usually fast drumming or rattling.
Drum Journey works like a timer; dial in the journey duration, set your options, and tap Start. Included in the app are several professionally-produced drum and rattle tracks, and you can also import your own from iTunes.
- flexible journey duration, from 5 minutes to an hour
- choice of drumming styles (single, double, or with rattle)
- adjustable tempo (slow, normal, and fast)
- adjustable instrument volumes
- high quality drumming tracks
- works with AirPort Express and AppleTV (via AirPlay)
- Optimized graphics for iPhone Retina screens
- light up the globe; share your location with other Drum Journey users
For centuries, shamans have used journeying to gain insight and clarity. I was inspired to create this app while participating in the three year program of the Foundation for Shamanic Studies.
Note: This app does not teach shamanic journey practices. Visit the Mindful Bear website for links to shamanic educators, books, and practitioners.
- improved drumming audio quality
- added 'very slow' tempo option
- added advanced tempo options (wider tempo range & fine adjustments)
- imported tracks can be tempo adjusted too
- updated for iOS 9 (requires at least iOS 7.1 now)
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
I used this app to journey for the first time. I started with my imagination then quickly began seeing and experiencing my surroundings easily. I love it. Helps me journey/meditate with ease. Wish the sound was a little richer but works great all the same.
I really like being able to customize the drums and timing. My only complaint is that some of the loops are uneven, though it's not enough to really distract. Only the ceremonial drum loop seems to just cut out unevenly at the end. Otherwise the app is great and the drum sounds very effective.
I keep this on my home screen!
The first time I used it to journey, it made diving and climbing a whole lot easier. The call back is also appreciated.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.