Exchange Rates is a convenient, versatile and extensible currency calculator with a today widget, residing in the macOS status bar and supporting many cryptocurrencies.
Tired of launching the macOS Calculator app and stepping through menu paths just for doing a simple currency conversion? Missing cryptocurrencies in Spotlight's currency conversion feature? Annoyed by the limited curreny selection of both of these system features? Here's the solution:
"Exchange Rates" is a small currency calculator residing in the macOS status bar and/or in your notification center – always available and always up to date. Nothing more, nothing less.
Everything can be done using keyboard shortcuts, so you can easily convert an amount between two currencies without interrupting your current workflow by using the mouse or even launching another window-based application. It also provides two system services to make currency conversions even more convenient.
All exchange rates are being updated continuously in the background, so you don't have to do anything about it. In addition, the fixed exchange rates of all euro predecessor currencies are available, such as the Austrian Shilling or German Mark. And just in case you would like to know what your paper currency is worth in sound money: Exchange Rates also offers four precious metals for conversions - each in grams and troy ounces.
Exchange Rates can also notify you automatically with a notification when a predefined threshold of a currency pair is de- or exceeded. This feature is available for all supported currencies (including various cryptocurrencies) and the 4 precious metals (either in grams or troy ounces).
The most important features at a glance:
• All important world currencies
• All euro-predecessor currencies
• Precious metals (gold, silver, platinum, palladium)
• Various cryptocurrencies with builtin support for Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin, Ethereum, Ethereum Classic, Monero and Ripple
• Several different exchanges for each cryptocurrency
• Allows you to add other, missing cryptocurrencies as well as custom feed definitions for price feeds from other exchanges (JSON via http or https)
• Today widget for your notifiction center showing a list of your favorite exchange rates as a list view (see note below)
• Exchange rate notifications
And there is even more:
• everything can be done using keyboard shortcuts to avoid interrupting your workflow.
• official LBMA fixing prices for gold and silver loaded via quandl.com (this requires a freely available Quandl API key)
• precious metals can be shown either in grams or troy ounces
• two system services (convert to local currency or to all currencies in your favorite exchange rates)
• a command line interface for currency conversions
• data minimization: no unnecessary data collection (e.g. user tracking)
• uses encrypted https connections for all built-in data sources
A note regarding the Today Widgets: Due to the profound technical changes in macOS, the two other widgets which were previously included in this app - the currency calculator and the favorites widget in a tiled view - are only available on macOS Catalina and the previous versions. These changes also don't allow for any interactions in today widgets, so it unfortunately is not possible to implement a replacement.
Please note: Exchange Rates is a research tool, it cannot trade foreign exchanges on your behalf. It is however a fantastic tool to keep an eye on the market, so all exchange rates and precious metal prices are provided for informational purposes only, and do not constitute financial advice of any kind
More informations as well as a complete version history can be found on the product website.
If you should find a bug in this app, please contact me via the contact form on the product website so I can fix it as soon as possible. Thank you!
A free tryout version is available on the product website as well.
• Exchange Rates now includes brand new today widgets for the next big macOS update (using WidgetKit); this step was necessary because of the profound changes in the operating system, which also made it impossible to keep the Currency Converter Widget in place, since no user interactions are possible any more. The previous widgets however will still be available on macOS Catalina and previous versions of macOS.
• the app can now optionally show the SPDR Gold Shares Future (GLD, next to the USD-Index)
• favorites, notifications and custom cryptocurrency configurations can now be stored in the iCloud and hereby shared across multiple computers. Please keep in mind that this feature is still beta, so if there ever was a good time to start creating backups, this would be it.
• several issues related to custom cryptocurrencies part of the app were fixed (e.g. when exporting and importing the configurations)
• several other, minor bugs were fixed, but nothing serious so far (mostly UI glitches and spelling errors)
Ratings and Reviews
Gets worse with each release
I've owned the prior 2 releases and have generally been happy with them other than having to register for a Quandl account to get spot metal pricing which is a pain. I was having issues with release 2 updating the metal prices again so I bought version 3. It's a complete mess IMO. There are now 3 widgets that seem to interact with each other unpredictably, I can't figure out how to set the home currency and make it stay, and it keeps asking for for Apple Keychain access for Quandl even though I have set the Quandl key in the app and even given it access to the keychain Quandl. The interface is simply not intuitive and setup is confusing with poor documentation to explain it. I give up and have uninstalled it.
Works, but miss the flags
I do not use the widget, only the Menu Bar icon, and only for currency exchange rates.
Working great and performs as expected.
My only gripe (small one) is that in the menu bar drop down, it no longer has the currencies showing with the country flags, only the currency code. This makes finding the correct currency off your list of favourites slightly slower. (remember some countries have non intuative codes like South Africa is ZAR). Finidng the correct rate is was quicker in version 2 simply because of the flags.
Otherwise, working just great.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Alexander Lindenstruth
- 26 MB
- Requires macOS 10.11 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2012-2020 Alexander Lindenstruth
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.