Easily turn documents of virtually any origin into information you can edit, quote, archive, search or share! ABBYY FineReader Pro complements the hassle-free efficiency of your computer by transforming paper documents, PDFs and digital photos of text into editable and searchable files. Say goodbye to time-consuming retyping and reformatting of documents – FineReader’s unmatched text recognition accuracy, language coverage and conversion features retain your original’s text, layout and formatting. It’s OCR the easy way – just as it should be!
"FineReader Pros' OCR engine outclasses anything else available, and its overall design is clean, efficient, and fast. It's our no-contest Editors' Choice for OCR under OS X."
With just a few clicks you can:
- Update documents with text corrections, date changes, modified conditions, links to other documents and more
- Instantly pull quotes from text and extract data
- Create searchable PDF files for archiving and sharing
- Make documents accessible for text-to-voice and more
KEY PRODUCTIVITY FEATURES:
- Scans and converts documents and images into a wide variety of popular electronic formats including: DOCX, ODT, RTF, XSLX, PDF and PDF/A, PPTX, HTML, EPUB and FB2
- Automates conversion tasks, processes batches of documents, and provides the ability to schedule OCR processing with the help of newly added Automator actions and AppleScript commands support;
- Accurately reconstructs document structure, layout and formatting across multiple pages – including headers/footers, footnotes, table of contents, page numbering, captions, etc.
- Creates editable, searchable and secure PDFs that are perfect for archiving and sharing
- Creates e-books in EPUB and FB2 formats for tablets and portable readers
- Performs image and photo pre-processing using ABBYY’s Advanced Digital Camera OCR technology
- Applies advanced OCR features to complex conversion tasks
YOUR ADVANTAGES WITH ABBYY OCR TECHNOLOGY INCLUDE:
- Professional OCR results with up to 99.8% character recognition accuracy
- Widest language support in the industry: 189 recognition languages (including Asian languages) in any combination of languages
- Multi-channel document input enables you to scan paper documents for processing or convert scanned images, PDFs and digital photos of text
- User-friendly interface with pre-defined Quick Tasks makes using FineReader easy and intuitive and provides Section 508 compliancy
* According to internal ABBYY testing. Accuracy and formatting results can vary depending on factors such as document quality and scanner settings.
Bugfix. Searchable PDFs created with FineReader 12.1.13 on macOS 10.15 were displayed as image-only in Preview.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Dave in Maine
I've been using Fine Reader for some six years and have used it to scan and transcribe nearly 16,000 documents, dating from 1927 to 1980, that had been originally scanned as jpg files. Early documents, often onion-skin carbon copies of original letters, were a real challenge for the software, but not to the extent that it was not really useful. Same problem with later letters that were the fourth or fifth carbon copies. Things have gotten much easier as I've moved into the more recent years, with clearer typing and copies. Of course the many hand-written documents simply have to be transcribed from scratch. Fine Reader has generally performed flawlessly, with the occasional recurring glitch, such as faililng consistently to recognize the typed number "4". I understand that the software can be "trained" to oavercome such problems, but have not taken the time to figure out how to do this. I work solely on an iMac desktop computer and have transcribed all documents into MS Word.
Developer Response ,
Dear Meeser3, Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate a lot that our product helps to OCR old documents. Recognition quality highly depends on the original files quality, so you are completely right that OCR results are much better for more recent files. Could you please provide us with an example of the file where you faced with incorrect recognition of number “4” writing a letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Training mode is not supported in the product, but we have forwarded your suggestion to support such feature in next releases to our R&D. Best regards, FineReader Team
Easiest GUI of the PDF programs I have.
A learning curve like most software. Of the 4 PDF programs I use this one is the easiest to use. I like to be able to adjust the brightness/contrast on some scans, and this one has the easiest to use adjuster. Just don’t forget to click on “apply” when you have the image you like, otherwise it will save/export the file to the unadjusted version. I set mine to “open the file" after export is done, that way I can keep it, or do more quality adjustments. I copy the title I have named the file, so if I re-export it, I paste the name in the title box, and it overwrites the bad copy so I don’t have to rename the file, and then do aseperate delete for the bad quality file. By being an App store item, I can use it on my other Macs, without having to buy a separate license for each Mac. Big money saver.
Developer Response ,
Dear Lars, Thank you for your coment. It is very important to know you find GUI easy!
We would like to chat to you about your experience with using FineReader and other PDF software.
If you don't mind, please let us know in e-mail to email@example.com
Thank you in advance!
Fine Reader 2nd round- quite Good
I bought Abby fine reader before- this version is quite good- I used in in a MAC Pages environment- over 95% accurate- hand notes came out odd- but the notes were also odd- so good. Graphics were close- but I was able to hand adjust the boxes to repair the scan erron- again good! In the Post Scan one can change the order number thus forcing it to keep text- I'm just learing this. I this Abby can help by including a tutorial so users can learn the developers intentions. I say buy it!!
Developer Response ,
Dear Carl, Thank you for very informative comment and high rating! This motivates a lot!
We are not sure we understood comment about Post Scan correctly and would like to find out more. Could you please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ABBYY USA Software House Inc
- 610.5 MB
OS X 10.11 or later, 64-bit processor
English, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © ABBYY Production LLC, 2013
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.