GrandPerspective is a small utility application that graphically shows the disk usage within a file system. It can help you to manage your disk, as you can easily spot which files and folders take up the most space.
Disk usage is visualised using tree maps. Each file is shown as a rectangle with an area proportional to the file's size. Files in the same folder appear together.
Configurable display of views:
• Color files by their: name, extension, file type, parent folder, top folder, level in the folder hierarchy, creation time, modification time, or last access time
• Choice of color palettes
• Configurable mapping by file type
• Optionally view package contents
• Optionally view the entire volume
Convenient navigation of views:
• Quickly search for files by name
• Traverse up and down the folder hierarchy
• Select files and folders in the view
• Preview files using Quick Look
• Reveal files and folders in Finder
• Delete files and folders from the view
Filter files and folders:
• Construct filter tests based an item's name, path, size, file type, hard-link status, and package status
• Filters and filter tests are automatically stored in the user preferences
Use these filters to:
• Mask files in the view
• Filter files from the view
• Exclude files and folders when scanning a disk
Multiple view support:
• Re-scan a view to compare results before and after clean-up
• Twin or duplicate a view for different displays of the same data
Support for hard-linked files and folders:
• Analyse Time Machine back-ups
Save results of disk scanning operations:
• Save, reload and view again at any time
• Export scan results as image or text
Snappy and responsive GUI:
• Optimized drawing of views
• Drawing and scanning are carried out in background threads
• Configurable user preferences
• Small memory and disk footprint
• Extensive help documentation
Updated for Big Sur:
• New app icon
• Updated Look & Feel, most notably the toolbar
Updated for Apple Silicon:
• Converted application to Universal
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
A solid little tool that has stood the test of time
I have used this app for many years on various Macs with various versions of Mac OS X. In all this time, it has been the best way to figure out what is filling up a disk. In the early days, there were a few bugs, and I mention this only because the app was so useful, one would put up with a few crashes because Grand Perspective was still the best way to get the job done. Now the app is a simple, solid tool, that I only use occasionally, but it absolutely indespensible when I need it. And it is solid now: I haven't had any trouble in years and years.
The app presents the user with a large rectangular box which respresents the container that is being analyzed. Often the large box is a volume. Often it is a folder that needs a little more scrutiny. The box is filled with smaller boxes. The smaller boxes are the folders or files on the disk. The size of the little boxes represents the size of the files. Files in folders are boxes in boxes. There is a control to zoom in and out. Say, that big box there is my photos. Let's take a look at what is in there. That other box is apps. Wow, that one app is bigger than I thought. That's the idea. When you hover over a box, the interface tells you what the path is, how big the file is, etc.
Anyway, Grand Perspective is a great little program that does it job well. I don't think you will be disappointed.
A must-have utility
After happily using this tool for years, I realized that I have never provided the positive feedback it deserves.
A crowded hard drive can sneak up on you, and this is the easiest way for me to see immediately where the excess baggage is. If you are a 'visual' personality type, the level of detail is impressive and, frankly, kind of fun to look at. But is at heart a tool and has extended functionality to dig deep into your file structure to see what is actually taking up the space.
Give it a try - the scan of your disk goes quickly, and you can easily and pretty quickly make an inpact on cleanining out you drive.
Still one of the best utilities
I've used this app for maybe 10 years. So glad to see it is in the app store. This is great for anyone to run. You will most likely be surprised at what you find taking up space on your computer. Super easy to use, just pick the hard drive and press "Scan". As you hover your mouse over the colored squares you will see groupings of files, photos and stuff that's probably been on your computer for years that can be deleted. I've found files that apps were creating which had been building up when I didn't know it. Easily worth $2 !
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.