Groupboard turns your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad into a collaborative whiteboard, allowing you to draw and chat in real time with other people anywhere on the internet, even with users using a web browser. Use it for online tutoring, collaborative design, or just for fun!
Simple to use - simply start the app and then draw on the screen by dragging your finger. Use two fingers (pinch) to scroll and zoom. Click the Connect tab to connect with other people.
Features include the ability to change colors, shapes, line width, and upload photos which you can then draw on. Log in as administrator for the ability to ban users and delete pictures.
Use two fingers (pinch gesture) to zoom in or out and scroll.
You can set up your own free Groupboard which allows you to connect to 5 other people. Once you have set up your own Groupboard, you can access it from a web browser by clicking on a link, or from an iPhone/iPod/iPad. You can also embed your Groupboard in your own web page if you wish.
- Real-time multi-user: when other users are connected to the same Groupboard everyone will see what other users are drawing in real-time (no delay)
- Pinch (2 fingers) to scroll/zoom (infinite scroll/zoom when connected to Groupboard Designer)
- Shake to clear
- Upload photos from your phone gallery or take a photo with the camera and draw on top of it
- Upload images or pdf/doc/xls/ppt documents from Dropbox (document upload only available for Groupboard Designer boards)
- Save to the Groupboard server or your phone gallery
- Multiple tools/colors
- Fully compatible with web/enterprise versions of Groupboard and Groupboard Designer.
- Infinite whiteboard size and multiple pages when connected to Groupboard Designer
- Undo option when connected to Groupboard Designer (shake gesture)
- Optional eraser tool
- Print option on iPad
- Optimized for retina displays
- External display mirroring (VGA out) enabled by default when using an iOS 3.2+ device
- Log in as admin to ban users, delete pictures or configure your Groupboard (use swipe gesture to delete a picture when logged in as admin)
- Connect to any hosted or enterprise (self-hosted) Groupboard
- Bookmarks of previously connected boards (in the Connect tab)
- Find boards using the 'who's on now' and 'top 100 boards' and search buttons in the Connect tab.
- Color picker with opacity
- Ability to launch the app from a url e.g. "groupboard://www.groupboard.com/1?name=bob&password=test&board_width=810&board_height=480" - replace 1 with your board id (name, password and board_width/height are optional). Note that you must already have the Groupboard app installed, and you cannot type this url directly into Safari - you can only click on it.
If you get errors connecting, you may have a firewall blocking the connection. Groupboard uses TCP/IP ports 41211 and 6144-6163. You can also now enable port 80 firewall tunnelling in the Connect tab.
Fixes for iOS 15
Ratings and Reviews
This is getting better
I have high hopes again about learning to use this. Barely anything was working. I deleted the app and reloaded again and it was doing what such an app should be doing. Now next to collaboration and see if that works out
Could be way better
Ok, I got this to doodle with my friends and it works fine, but I could not find an eraser. And the undo button wasn’t available unless you bought something. The zoom was bad, and very blocky. I did not try the chat, but by the look of it it looked fine. I really wish that there were more tools, because who is going to use a highlighter when their doodling? I just think that it could be way better without buying things (or at least with an eraser).
Developer Response ,
You can display the eraser by ticking "show eraser" in the options. The free Groupboard has a fixed resolution, so it will be blocky if you zoom in.
Use the iPad as a drawing tablet, see it on a Mac
This app allows you to use your iPad as a drawing tablet, and see the results on any platform, since the medium for sharing is the web. There might be other apps out there that do this, though I am not aware of one. I know there are apps that allow you to share whiteboards with other iPad users, and web-based whiteboard collaboration apps, but this one is unique in that the iPad side of it is an iPad app. And it seems to work pretty well. A few problems: The control buttons are at the bottom of the screen, where it is easy to accidentally select them via your palm as you are drawing on the tablet using a stylus. Also the color controls seem fluky when switching colors, and the app crashed at one point every time I tried to change the line/font size, though it isn't doing this now. More whiteboard options would be nice, like a Clear button -- there is a shake-to-clear option but no button to click to clear. The basic concept is Pretty Neat though, and the app delivers there. Great price too.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
- Other Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Group Technologies Inc
- 10 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 9+ Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © 2010 Group Technologies Inc
- In-App Purchases
- Infinite Whiteboard $0.99
- Remove Adverts $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.