Horcrux lets you automatically backup your mails from any IMAP supported email accounts with great ease. The best part is, you have an option to restore the backed up emails to any other email account, retaining all your tags/folder hierarchy.
"Horcrux is handy since you don't actually have to think about it when it's running" - Lifehacker
Note: This is a background app, it resides on the Mac menu bar called "H". Click on that to get back to the preferences.
- Tested with iCloud, Gmail, Google Apps, Microsoft Exchange, GMX, DomainFactory. It should work on most email accounts.
- Incremental backups
- Automated backups at multiple locations (server and local) using the Hooks functionality.
- Supports multiple email accounts
- Add the accounts, set the backup frequency and it'll unobtrusively backup emails in the background
- Native Email Browsing interface where you can undelete specific emails (in case of user error)
- Independent IMAP Server to Server migration utility
- Clever restore process that'll skip already existing emails
- Tags / Folder names are retained during migration
- Stores emails in open format (.eml) which can be opened in clients like Apple Mail
- Can export emails in open format as .mbox
- The backups can be offline and moved around to different computers.
Please feel free to contact us in case of any problems https://thehorcrux.com/support
Note: Google, Microsoft, GMX, DomainFactory are trademarks of their respective owners.
- Fix crashes during the backup process. Thanks Nate!
Ratings and Reviews
With the update to Horcrux that was released on Sept. 9, I’ve had a successful backup every day. The developer claims to have reduced memory usage by 90%, and that seems to be true. My computer no longer crawls when a backup is happening. At this point, I would say that Horcrux works well and, if it doesn’t, the developer is open and responsive to feedback.
Useless when it crashes
Leaves you in the dust when it crashes. And it crashes a lot. Tried it on multiple systems. When ever it comes across an email it doesn't like it just dies. You're totally left hanging in the middle of a migration and you don't know where it died. I'm sure the developer "has never experienced this.." blah blah blah. But in this day and age, I just need something that works. I don't need to beta test their stuff for them. In the future try your product on some REAL mail migrations, not just the small stuff in your lab. Don't use me as your guinea pig. I don't appreciate it, especially when I paid a decent fee for this to just work.
Great little application; very good support
I’ve used this application to backup IMAP, Exchange and Gmail accounts for several years.
It works very well, and allows easy access to the archives it creates.
When I have had problems, the developer has been very responsive - asking daily questions about my setup and suggesting ways to fix the problems I was having.
Different mailboxes have different problems, and several times the app has been updated to address crashes or hangups that I have experienced.
This is an awesome application, and the support is excellent.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Suhas Sharma
- 6.7 MB
- Requires macOS 10.9 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Suhas Sharma
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.