Hymnals is a remarkable app that brings all the elements of your favorite hymnal—and more—right to your iPad. The app is free – through it you can purchase the following best-selling Roman Catholic hymnals from GIA Publications, Inc. using an in-app purchase.
● Gather - Third Edition for Pew, Choir, Guitar, Keyboard, C Instrument, and B flat Instrument
● Worship - Fourth Edition for Pew, Choir, Guitar, Keyboard, C Instrument, and B flat Instrument
● Ritual Song - Second Edition for Pew, Choir, Guitar, Keyboard, C Instrument, and B flat
● Gelineau Lectionary Psalms
● Guimont Lectionary Psalms
● The Lyric Psalter
● One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism
● Cry Out with Joy
● Gather Comprehensive - Second Edition both Pew and Choir
● Lead Me, Guide Me - Second Edition Pew and Keyboard
● Oramos Cantando - We Pray In Song Pew
● More to come
Hymnals offer the complete contents of your hymnal in a compact, lightweight form—no more dragging around multiple hymnals and service binders! The app is perfect for choir members or churchgoers. Swipe or tap to easily page through hymns, or create and manage your own Service Lists! The music and words are crystal clear. With Hymnals, you can:
● NEW - Backup your hymnals, imported music, service list, and annotations to the cloud with your giamusic.com account.
● NEW - Now also works on iPhone.
● Download your hymnal via in-app purchase
● Quickly search for hymns by title or hymn number
● Create your own service lists
● Share service lists with other Hymnals app users
● Arrange your service list and display it in song order
● Listen to audio samples if available (requires an Internet connection)
● Zoom in or out without blurring
● View hymns in both portrait or the wider landscape mode
● Easily toggle to full-screen mode to see the entire hymn page
● Turn pages with AirTurn and PageFlip Bluetooth pedals
● Annotate hymns easy editing tools
The free app includes three sample hymns.
Improvements and bug fixes
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Page turning a nightmare
Agreed with other reviews - page turning on this app is a nightmare. Any keyboardist is used to flipping from one page to another using a flipping stroke. Having to tap the arrow to slide down to the next page is very awkward and cumbersome. Ito rare to flip to the next piece after playing one (with the exception of mass settings). It would be much better if flipping pages moved within a piece and the arrow moved to the next piece.
2.0 Update Removed Functionality
While the new update adds lots of nice new features including cloud backups (although native iCloud backup support would be preferred to having to sign up for yet another service account), the notes said that no functionality would be removed. This is not the case!
One notable feature missing now is being able to access my imported hymns by number with the “Enter a hymn number” function. I specifically imported my hymns in number order when I noticed they were assigned a searchable value upon import so I could search them easily by number with this function, but it no longer works on imported music as of version 2.0.
I know imported music databases had to be updated with this version so I’m not sure if the original import order was retained, but I would very much appreciate the option to simply search imported music by hymn number again (I will have to live with the separate search function for now). Thank you for your hard work!
Developer Response ,
Ah. We didn’t think to test your use case. We’ll fix this in the next update.
Please consider add a “single song mode”
I think one suggestion to solve the page-flipping difficulty for pianist in the keyboard edition is to add a "single song mode" feature where tapping anywhere on the left or right side of the page jumps directly to the next page instead of the next song, when it arrives at the last page, flipping left automatically goes to the first page. Since it is tough to press the arrow button accurately without accidentally flipping to the next song while playing and conducting the choir, I think this "single song mode" feature could make the keyboard edition much more user friendly. Otherwise I would give it a 5 stars.
On top of this feature, I would suggest allow searching the content of the lyrics as well. I believe we can only search for a keyword in the title of the song instead of from the lyrics.
- GIA Publications, Inc.
- 90.7 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © GIA Publications, Inc 2020
- In-App Purchases
- Gather Third Edition - Choir $27.99
- Gather Third Edition - Pew $15.99
- Gather Third Edition - Guitar $89.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.