The OFFICIAL ABRSM Aural Trainer contains interactive challenges to help develop your music aural skills (listening skills). Anyone can use it, but it is designed around ABRSM’s aural tests for Grades 6 to 8. The app can be used in any order, however often you like, on your own or with your teacher.
Use ABRSM Aural Trainer to:
• Exercise your musical memory (remember how music sounds and be able to repeat it).
• Develop your confidence and accuracy at sight-singing (reading and singing the music you see).
• Improve your recognition of cadences, chords and modulations.
• Learn to describe texture, structure, dynamics, articulation, tempo and tonality.
• Practise identifying the features in music that make-up its style and character.
• Develop the skills to know when a piece of music was written.
The app covers the following ABRSM aural test content:
• Melodic Repetition
• Musical Features
• Rhythmic Repetition
All exercises are fully interactive. Each one gives you the opportunity to repeat the question, or to compare your response to the correct answer and hear the music again . The app also features supporting tools including a cadence trainer, progress tracker and guides to the aural tests in ABRSM graded music exams.
Many exercises are automatically marked by the application. Self-review and critical listening are also key to successful development of the musical ear, which is why the app provides tools for you to review and evaluate your performance against sample responses in all cases. Your progress is logged whenever you use the app, so you can always see at a glance the areas you might want to revisit.
- Optimised screen tapping tolerance for rhythmic repetition exercises
Ratings and Reviews
Absolutely ridiculous. For grade 8 chords, the “correct” answer is obviously wrong, using the piano to compare chord and what is said to be right
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your comment. We would be keen to hear from you with a detailed description of the error you perceive so we can advise you further. Please write to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can assist you.
It does help and it’s a lot more practical than a cd. What would benefit is that for melodic repetition, there used to be a feature I thought where it would repeat back what you sang at the checking point. Maybe I just didn’t enable something, but that was pretty sad. It’s also not much of a trainer, but more like a mock exam.
So few levels
Only 20-25 levels to complete
- The Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (Publishing) Limited
- 379.6 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © The Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (Publishing) Limited
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.