Now with Novice Phase 1,2,3, Female Training and Advanced Novice!
------ The Official Starting Strength App * 4.8 Star Average Rating -------
The Starting Strength Method is the fastest, most efficient and straightforward way to increase total body strength for complete beginners.
Here's some reviews from our users
"What do you get when you combine the best method to get stronger with detailed instructional videos, thorough explanations AND an actual day to day program? THIS APP! Finally! Perfect for both beginners and experienced lifters and worth much more than the price I paid for. Thank you Starting Strength!
"I've tried 2-3 other apps. I've kept paper logs. Nothing has been easier to use than this app. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't enter my warm up sets...its because you don't need to! You enter your work set weight and it tells you exactly what to load on the warmup-ups..."
"Wonderful, straight-forward way to keep DOING THE PROGRAM. A simple and clear way to apply the SS principles and track your work.”
"Like others, I was on the fence about buying this app to help kickstart my starting strength program. This app deserves it's high average rating, and you should pull the trigger if you are reading this.”
"I tried a few free apps before buying this app, this one is well worth the money. Best app out there for barbell training"
Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" has sold over 500,000 copies worldwide and considered the most productive method in existence for anyone beginning a strength training program.
"The best book ever written on strength training" - Jim Wendler, champion powerlifter.
- Complete, easy-to-follow instructions for performing the basic barbell exercises: the squat, press, deadlift, bench press and power clean.
- Walks you through the famous Starting Strength Novice Program -- shows you how to start, what weight to add and when to add extra exercises.
- Enough programs to get you through the first year of training including accessory exercises of chinups and back extensions.
- Designed for use at the gym with quick access to multiple angle videos and photo instructions of each exercise.
- Lift instructions and diagrams from the Starting Strength Book by Mark Rippetoe.
- Interactive logging tools journal your strength progression.
- Warmup and workset calculator shows you exactly how many plates to put on each side of the bar.
- Workset Rest Timer, customisable for each exercise.
- Customise your progression for each exercise.
- Add and save additional notes for each workout, and access previous notes easily.
- Never lose your training data again! Cloud Sync backs up your training log data and restores it across multiple devices.
- Download training log data as CSV (requires account)
- Helpful hints and tutorials help you learn and progress safely.
- How to program the basic exercises into the most effective program for long-term progress.
- Metric (kgs) or Imperials (lbs), and change at any time.
Have any comments, questions or suggestions? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Added a variable so you can change the load weight of light squat in advanced novice program
Bug Fixes for some programs where progression wasn't adding
Ratings and Reviews
You really must read the book...soak on it. Figure out your starting weights and then get going. I did weight training in my 20's and I wish I would have had this book. Now I am mid 50's and everything is a struggle...workout recovery, injury recovery, etc. However, if you take it slow, take time to recover, stretch each workout day, reread the book occasionally, then you can set yourself up for a lifetime of greater strength and fitness. This app goes a long way toward helping with the goal. It is easy to use. Look through everything before you start and backup to the cloud weekly.
Update: still a great app for starting out. It does all the thinking...warm up weights and reps, timer, etc. The big drawback is when you are ready to move beyond the novice SS routine, the app is not capable. You cannot increase reps beyond 5 nor sets beyond 3. So if you move to Texas method or H-L-M, then you must find another app. I have found nothing like this one where I set my work set weight and the app fills in warmup, timer, etc. So yes it is a great app, but you will either quit or move beyond novice which means finding another adequate, but less than desirable, app.
Great training log (1 year of use)
This is my favorite training log (especially since I’m doing starting strength and this is tailored to the program). The app automatically alternates workouts each time you login, increases the weight on a lift for the next workout, calculates the plates you add to the bar, etc. It makes it really easy to track all the reps and weights you lift so there’s really no excuse not to have a detailed training history. You can even type in quick notes for a lift. The other feature I really like is that it automatically generates graphs showing the lifts you’ve done, the date you did them, whether you were successful, and your body weight.
This app takes your mind of the logistics off logging your work and lets you focus on more important things like getting those calories in and hitting those PRs. Happy Training!
The timers and counters are very useful. A written log is always better but in this modern age our mobile devices have become part of our daily life even for logging data and information. I hate to say it but if this is where our future is heading then we to take these things more seriously and continue to push for improvements in these apps. I love that it accurately calculates your warm up reps for you. Still would be nice to be able to customize reps and sets for intermediate exercises and add exercises to the workout like barbell rows. Maybe even log personal info about rest, recovery, diet, or just how I’m feeling that day (basically eliminating the written log). The StrongLifts 5x5 app does do some of these things and is much more intuitive, but it does not calculate warm ups as accurately as this app. Also having digital access to key pages from the book and video Gifs of the Exercises is incredibly helpful. Keep it up starting strength, always room for improvement but this app is on the money. Thanks.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Shabu Pty Ltd
- 265.8 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access
- © The Aasgaard Company
- In-App Purchases
- Single Form Check $24.99
- 3 x Form Checks $69.99
- 10 Form Checks $209.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.