DrumPerfect Pro v.3 is without doubt the most complete, open, fully programable drum/percussion music production system ever created for iPad. The wealth of professional features it offers is just astonishing. Yet its most distinguished quality is probably its confounding capacity to emulate so musically the human feel of pro drummers performances in any genre, as you will see.
Here is what Gilbert Medam, professional composer and arranger, creator of the pack collection as well as designer of the new UI writes:
In the musical consciousness, rhythm is without question a most fundamental element. Combining movement with numbers, it is found in music all around the world and at any period of human history.
Musicians, particularly drummers and percussionists by nature excel in precise body movement, coordination and inevitably inspire listeners to join the dance. On the other hand computer systems excel, by design, in powerful processing of numbers. We are constantly, Marinus and I, attentive to this simple fact when refining and expanding DrumPerfect Pro. Because we want our app to excel in coming as close as it can be, to a perfect integration of both performances.
In this new version, if you are passionate about rhythms, drums and beyond, you will find, we think, the best companion for your music adventure and production. Its flexibility will surprise you. Program on multitrack/layers, multi-velocity sampling, the most intricate patterns, improvising songs. Unleash your wildest experimentation in the creative and fun process.
It is the high end app of choice for:
- drums/percussions professional track production
- live performance with the brand new AUv3 player
- practice and training for musicians in any musical genre
- easy loading and playing of your own library of midi files.
- study, understanding and experimenting from the massive collection of world rhythms available in the packs.
And last but not least, it now comes with two new packs. More detailed than previous ones, they integrate the new functions from this version ( JAM! Dynamics, sample groups, automation, etc.... )
A fantastic General Midi pack to cater for all your midi files plus the new series of patterns all styles included. This pack is FREE to download.
The first brush drums pack, Brazilian Rhythms vol.2 , filled with soft and smooth grooves that will certainly transport you to the golden beaches of Brazil. This pack completes the trilogy of Brazilian Rhythms vol.1 and Batucada vol.1.
Fixes an issue with tempo and JAM! automation
Fixes an issue with blurred controls if "Button Shapes" is on
Fixes a display issue with some of the controls
Fixes an issue with random parts in song play
New in v3.0:
- brand new AUv3-compatible DPP song player with user preset list ( best for live performance )
- up to 10 sample groups per instrument, allowing up to 160 articulations per kit
- up to 8 velocity levels per sample group
Real time processing Layers:
- extended to 2 drum stroke layers in pattern
- 2 layers in pattern for real-time sustain control per sample group
- 2 layers in pattern for real-time pitch control per sample group
- 1 layer for in-pattern tempo variation
New editing functions:
- JAM! dynamics with 3 programmable levels, 20 rules per level, assignable to sample groups
- cross-instrument, cross-layer, multi-instrument and multi-layer drum stroke editing
- play looped selection in pattern
- user-defined humanise settings
- tempo and JAM! automation in Song mode
- seamless tempo control in Song mode
- support for Files app ( import/export patterns, songs, kits, etc... )
- longpress Save/Load to save to/load from external location
- improved midi-in clock sync
- simplified import of midi files
- Ableton Link 2 with start/stop control
- latest Audiobus API
- all purpose General Midi pack in store ( free )
- brand new brushes pack Brazilian Rhythms Vol2 in store
- completely redesigned Grid view commands
- auto reordering of patterns in song patbank ( Pack song )
- kit volume boosted
- many other improvements and bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
This app is really good!
The sounds are great, really great! Like others have said, the interface is not the most friendly... The developer should look into ways to help with that. However, the drum parts this app produces are top notch. Here are a list of things that need to be changed and improved.
1.) The preset MIDI tracks (songs) that come with the app and its packs are too easy to destroy. It should be easier to copy a song and modify it without messing with the original.
2.) There should be more integration between the sections of the app. As it stands, some modifications made at the part level do not seem to affect the song as whole. I am sure there is a way to do this, but the independent nature of each section is awkward to work with.
3.) I still cannot figure out how to “build a kit” from the sounds available... That should be easier to do.
4.) More sound packs please! How about a slow, brushed jazz kit; or a “found object”, street drummer kit; or a full hip hop pack; or an indie, “math rock” type kit.
For sound, this is my current favorite drum app, and with a little work, it could be the best drum app out there! I hope it sees a lot of further development, I think this developer gets good drum sound, they just need to clean up some rough edges.
As powerful as a desktop VST plugin!
I just discovered DPP and decided to pick it up, thinking OK, my expectations aren't very high, because most drum apps on iOS don't really cut it for professional productions, unless you're into electronic music. Boy was I wrong! DPP is so deep, it easily rivals the best VST plugins on desktop machines. Be ready however for a learning curve. This is not one of those apps you just pick up and get going with in five minutes (although it's actually very straight forward once you get the hang of how things are laid out and handled). The sounds are very decent, but I prefer to use my own Samples, giving me a good cross-platform compatibility with my desktop DAWs.
Overall, DPP is an amazing drum app, not only for real drums, but also percussion (available as iAP) or electronic drums, making it a great all-round Drum app.
Great sound packs...
This is a high quality app with excellent iap loop sound packs. However, it is not user friendly. As a professional recording engineer and years of having this app, I still can’t get it to work and with the new update, version 3.0.1, the graphics on the top 2 sections of the app “Pattern, Grid, Kits, Songs, Pads, etc.” and the section right below it are now blurred. Please correct and have a Spring sale on your iap’s please. I can then upgrade my review to 5 stars. Thank you in advance for listening to your customers! -Sincerely, AprilRox of AprilRox Studios 🎶
Developer Response ,
Edit: The “blurred controls” issue was fixed in v3.02.
As far as the “can’t get it to work” bit is concerned, would you mind telling us what the issue is? Maybe we can help!
- Marinus J.G. van de Molengraft
- 293.1 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019, Marinus van de Molengraft and Gilbert Medam
- In-App Purchases
- Jazz Sessions Volume 1 $4.99
- Funky Breakbeats Volume 1 $2.99
- Funky Breakbeats Volume 2 $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.