Adaptivity is an invaluable tool for developers and designers. Use it to visualize how Size Classes and margins for layout, readable content and the safe area look on real devices and how they change with respect to orientation, iPad multitasking and Dynamic Type size changes. A comprehensive System Images browser shows the different SF Symbols data sets across iOS versions with availability, localization and name change information. There are also views for visualising Dynamic Type styles, System Colors, System Fonts and System Materials.
The Mac version is built with Apple's Mac Catalyst technology. It deliberately avoids making too many Mac-specific customisations in order to demonstrate default behaviour when bringing an existing iPad app to Mac.
• “Adaptivity is not just highly recommended – it’s essential” — Paul Hudson, Hacking With Swift article “8 essential apps for iOS developers”, 30th March 2020.
• “It's a very, very good tool as a reference for both developers and designers” — Gui Rambo, Stacktrace podcast episode #77, 1st April 2020.
• “I'm not trying to spend your money, but to me this is a no-brainer” — Sean Allen YouTube video “Indie Dev Apps”, 12th April 2020.
• Visualize sizes for full view, layout margins, readable content guide and safe area layout guide.
• Sizes displayed in points or pixels (accounting for the content scaling of Catalyst apps on macOS 10.15).
• Regular or large navigation bar titles.
• Toggle navigation bar/toolbar/tab bar visibility.
• Activity View Controller support for sharing a snapshot image of each view.
• Multiple window support.
• Dark appearance support.
• Optimized for Mac on macOS 11 or later; scaled for iPad on macOS 10.15.
• Setting to force right-to-left layout.
• Handoff actions from Adaptivity on one device to Adaptivity (A) on another device.
• Popover, Form/Page Sheet, Full Screen and Automatic modal presentations.
• Tab Bar Controller.
• Table View Controller.
• Classic style Split View Controller.
• Double and triple column style Split View Controllers (requires macOS 11 or later).
• Explore System Colors.
• Explore System Fonts.
• Explore System Images. Choose which SF Symbols data set to view, configure rendering modes and much more.
• Explore System Materials.
• Widgets to show layout, random System Images and Dynamic Type text styles (requires macOS 11 or later).
• Notification Content Extension (requires macOS 11 or later).
Adaptivity (A) for Mac is a universal purchase and includes an iOS version of the app. Buying one allows the other to be downloaded at no extra cost using the same Apple ID. The iOS version includes even more features: Keyboard Dodging and Custom Keyboard, Pointer Interactions, Siri shortcut, Watch App, and iMessage App.
For more information see https://hacknicity.com/adaptivity/osx
• Updated data for those living in the future.
If you find Adaptivity (A) useful, please rate or review it in the App Store, or recommend it other developers and designers. The app was first released in 2015 and I have never charged for a new version. Any additional contributions to the Tip Jar, big or small, are very welcome and will help keep it that way. This makes a huge difference to me and the future of the app.
Thanks in advance,
Ratings and Reviews
Just Buy It
absolutely invaluable tool for developers of any Apple platform. reading docs, tutorials, HIG, etc is one thing. but actually being able to see, play with, and explore all the platform provided UI mechanisms on an actual device provides nearly limitless inspiration for my own apps. there’s just sooooo many nice things about this tool, trust me it’s worth it’s price of entry. this is one of a few dev tools i’m happy and eager to recommend to fellow devs and coworkers
Developer Response ,
Thanks so much for the great review!
Handy Tool for Developers
Extremely thorough interactive examples of all sorts of UIKit layout.
I don’t use it often, but when I need to (like today), it saves a ton of time. (Today I was playing with pointer interaction—when I said thorough, I meant it.)
And there’s a detailed manual!
Worth paying for
This app saved me a boatload of design and development time, which is pretty amazing because I don’t own a boat.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Geoff Hackworth
- 12 MB
- Developer Tools
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 10.15 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2015-2022 Hacknicity
- In-App Purchases
- Enormous Tip $9.99
- Large Tip $4.99
- Medium Tip $1.99
- Small Tip $0.99