Adaptivity is an app for developers and designers to visualize how iOS's Size Classes and margins for layout, readable content and the safe area look on real devices and how they change with respect to orientation, iPad Slide Over/Split View and Dynamic Type size changes. There are also views for visualizing Dynamic Type styles, System Colors, System Images and System Materials.
The Mac version is built with Apple's Mac Catalyst technology. It deliberately avoids making too many Mac-specific customisations in order to demonstrate default behaviour when bringing an existing iPad app to Mac.
• “Adaptivity is not just highly recommended – it’s essential” — Paul Hudson, Hacking With Swift article “8 essential apps for iOS developers”, 30th March 2020.
• “It's a very, very good tool as a reference for both developers and designers” — Gui Rambo, Stacktrace podcast episode #77, 1st April 2020.
• “I'm not trying to spend your money, but to me this is a no-brainer” — Sean Allen YouTube video “Indie Dev Apps”, 12th April 2020.
• Visualize sizes for full view, layout margins, readable content guide and safe area layout guide.
• Sizes displayed in points or pixels (accounting for the content scaling of Catalyst apps).
• Regular or large navigation bar titles.
• Toggle navigation bar/toolbar/tab bar visibility.
• Activity View Controller support for sharing a snapshot image of each view.
• Multiple window support.
• Dark appearance support.
• Optimized for Mac on macOS 11; scaled for iPad on macOS 10.15.
• Setting to force right-to-left layout.
• Handoff actions from Adaptivity on one device to Adaptivity (A) on another device.
• Popover, Form/Page Sheet, Full Screen and Automatic modal presentations.
• Tab Bar Controller.
• Table View Controller.
• Classic style Split View Controller.
• Double and triple column style Split View Controllers (requires macOS 11 or later).
• Explore System Colors.
• Explore System Fonts.
• Explore System Images. Choose between viewing iOS 13, 14 or 14.2 image sets (corresponding to SF Symbols v1.1, v2 or v2.1) when run on macOS 11 or later.
• Explore System Materials.
• Widget (requires macOS 11).
Adaptivity (A) for Mac is a universal purchase and includes an iOS version of the app. Buying one allows the other to be downloaded at no extra cost using the same Apple ID. The iOS version includes even more features: Keyboard Dodging and Custom Keyboard, Pointer Interactions, Siri shortcut, Widgets, Notification Content Extension, Watch App, and iMessage App.
For more information see https://hacknicity.com/adaptivity/osx
• Dynamic Type and System Fonts views support choosing a custom font on macOS 11 Big Sur.
If you find Adaptivity (A) useful, please rate or review it in the App Store, or recommend it other developers and designers. This makes a huge difference to me and the future of the app.
Thanks in advance,
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Handy Tool for Developers
Extremely thorough interactive examples of all sorts of UIKit layout.
I don’t use it often, but when I need to (like today), it saves a ton of time. (Today I was playing with pointer interaction—when I said thorough, I meant it.)
And there’s a detailed manual!
Worth paying for
This app saved me a boatload of design and development time, which is pretty amazing because I don’t own a boat.
The Missing Developer Tool
Fantastic app - avoids the need to dig through tons of example documentation and create sample projects. Great idea and thank you!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Geoff Hackworth
- 3 MB
- Developer Tools
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 10.15 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2015-2021 Hacknicity
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.