Shoom is an expressive XY pad synthesizer. Or, more precisely, three identical synthesizers in one app. It is capable of playing any pitch in the audible range and doesn’t necessarily limit you to a particular scale. Nevertheless, if you do want to use scales, Shoom can deliver anything from common 12-tone equal tempered to xenharmonic and microtonal.
• Three independent synthesizers
• 8–20,000 Hz pitch range
• Slide freely or snap notes to scale with adjustable glide rate
• Set notes to infinite hold using a dedicated toggle
• Microtonal and non-octave repeating scales support
• MIDI note input (including MPE), CC control and clock sync
• Optional remapping of MIDI notes to the pitches of the selected scale
• Bluetooth MIDI support
• Inter-App Audio support with main mix and individual synth outputs
• Audiobus 3 support (including AB MIDI)
• Ableton Link support
• 120+ bundled presets
• Import and export of presets and CC maps
Synthesizer engine features:
• Adjustable polyphony, up to 30 voices
• Two oscillators with 4 waveforms and PWM, and one noise generator
• Oscillator FM cross-modulation
• 4 pole (24 dB/octave) resonant low pass filter with overdrive and pitch tracking
• 2 variable slope ADSR envelopes for amplitude and filter cutoff
• 2 LFOs with 9 waveforms, up to 3 out of 12 simultaneously assignable parameters, trigger and global running modes, fade-in and phase controls
• Y-axis position / MIDI CC#74 as modulation source with up to 3 of 15 simultaneously assignable parameters
• MIDI channel pressure / polyphonic aftertouch as modulation source with up to 3 of 15 simultaneously assignable parameters
• MIDI velocity modulation of amplitude and filter envelopes
• Note pan randomizer
• Built-in stereo delay and reverb effects
Improved iOS 14 compatibility
Ratings and Reviews
Giving this 5 stars because it sounds really, really good, and it's a good concept without much (supported, at least) competition in the App Store. It needs a few things to be perfect: a built in arpeggiator, and the ability to record movements on the xy pad would put this over the top. Also, the ability to respond to midi notes would be a plus, but as the whole point is as an xy pad synth, not totally necessary. Also, I thought the mod options were severely limited, as the layout doesn't make it immediately apparent, but if you click on the mod destinations for the lfos and y axis you can change the destination. A freely assignable mod envelope would be great too. And finally, I haven't checked yet, but if this doesn't already respond to midi bank and program changes, that would be amazing. All that said, I have a feeling at least some of these features will be implemented, so if you're looking for a really fun to play synth app for textures, drones, bleeps and glitches, definitely worth buying.
One of the first iOS instruments I bought was Yuri's Xynthesizr; it didn't take long to figure out that he was a very creative and innovative programmer and musician. I have spent lots of very creative hours with that app, and still do.
Shoom is every bit as interesting, maybe more so. I can easily imagine lots of very late nights messing around with this thing, and I'm looking forward to diving into it. I just spent about 15 minutes playing around with his demo files, and I can't put it away... Thanks for another really great app!!!
Experimental and Ambient niceness
First- Thanks to the developer for including Bluetooth speaker support. I've found this lacking in many other synth/music apps.
I mainly work with ambient/experimental/avant-garde type stuff and I looove this app. I find Shoom very easy to extract inspirational loops, sounds ,drones from. I mainly work from a collage type approach and, once again, I find this excellent for that sort of use. I like the layout and the controls. Just great. Looking forward to more releases from this developer. 👍🏻
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Yuri Turov
- 16.6 MB
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2015-2020 Yuri Turov
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.