The best camera is the one you have with you. But what if that camera was improved with pro features, a gorgeous interface, intuitive controls, and was always with you?
That camera is Obscura.
Obscura is designed to make it fast and easy to capture stunning images. Whether you're shooting in portrait or landscape, the Control Wheel fits into your hand perfectly. You won't be fumbling around trying to capture a photo when you're in a hurry – everything is accessible with one thumb. Finely tuned haptic feedback gives the devices a sense of physicality, so you can feel every adjustment.
You can shoot in a wide range of formats:
• RAW - capture more details and allow for a greater amount of flexibility when editing.
• HEIC - a new image format that uses advanced compression for high quality files at smaller sizes.
• JPEG - You can never really go wrong with JPEG, can you? It just works everywhere.
• Live Photo - combine high resolution photos with video clips that bring your images to life.
• Depth - allows you to apply exciting portrait mode effects and more.
Obscura includes a bunch of gorgeous filters to add style to your images.
There are 19 included filters, perfect for a wide range of scenes.
• A Sepia filter unlocked by sharing the app with friends
• A Black & White filter pack, including 8 filters. Especially good for dealing with low light and striking architecture.
• An Analogue filter pack, including 7 filters. These work great for giving a cinematic look to your images.
Other Camera Features
Obscura has all the features you expect in a great camera app, including:
• Flash control
• Shutter Timer
• Spirit Level
With a single swipe you can browse your library.
But Obscura doesn’t just have a simple image browser, it’s much more powerful than that. Here’s what you can do:
• Edit - Apply Obscura’s gorgeous filters to images you’ve just captured (or images from other, lesser camera apps). You can save the filtered image as an adjustment, or as a new copy.
• Share - There’s a good old share sheet, so you can share with your friends, and open images in other apps.
• Copy - quickly copy an image to the clipboard, so you can share it with ease.
• Favourite - Mark an image as favourite. Simple.
• Hide - Not every image is for everyone to see. It’s cool. We get it.
• Delete - Goodbye forever little photo.
• Trash - Obscura has a neat little feature where you can add photos to a special trash album, so you can delete them all in one go. Efficient.
With a wide range of customisation options, Obscura works your way. You can change the effects of gestures, secondary capture formats, and even the app icon!
We believe that your personal information belongs to you. Obscura doesn’t collect any information about you, so there’s nothing to share with third parties, nothing can be hacked or leaked, because we don’t have it. We think that’s best for everyone.
The only data we see is the opt-in analytics that’s automatically collected by iOS. See more about it at apple.com/privacy
Obscura has a Notification Center widget, which makes it quick and easy to access the app from the lock screen.
Press firmly on the app icon on your home screen to quickly jump to some of Obscura’s features.
Not all features are available on every device :(
Focus Peaking - requires iPhone 6 or newer
RAW capture - requires iPhone 6S or newer
HEIC capture - requires iPhone 7 or newer
Depth Capture - requires Dual Camera (iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X)
Advanced Haptic Feedback - requires iPhone 7 or newer
Made by Ben Rice McCarthy
More info at
This update includes a number of bug fixes:
- Improvements to the volume controls that could sometimes stop working after opening Obscura from the background
- A fix for a layout issue on smaller screen devices
- A fix for changing cameras on the iPhone 11
We hope you like the update!
Ben & Adam
As ever, reviews are greatly appreciated, and if you have any issues, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
If you want a camera app with an innovative interface, Obscura 2 is for you. Most interactions in this app are based on turning a wheel by sliding your finger to the left or right. With this, you still have pro-level control over your photography, but you're able to control almost everything with a single finger.
I wanted to like it better than I did
I like that the app responds quickly when the shutter button is pressed and the fact that everything is accessible with one hand. However, the main thing that I like is having some filters to use with my pictures. You can even apply them to pictures that were already taken.
However, some issues with the app prevent me from using this as my main app for taking pictures. For one thing, I experienced a number of crashes in the short time I had it. Most occurred when I was first loading the app. I also found that some of my pictures appeared sideways or upside down in the camera roll. Apparently you need to see the orientation of the text on the sides of the app, and that will prevent that.
The issue that slows me down the most is that the app doesn’t retain certain settings from one use to the next. If I turn on grid lines, I want them always on. If I use the spirit level, I want it to always be there. Granted, I don’t want the filter and exposure settings to be retained, but things like spirit level, histogram viewing, and grid lines should be able to be saved. They are on other camera apps (at least gridlines and level).
Still, I like the filters and may buy the premium ones as I can use these on photos that have been taken.
I’d love more than anything to give this app five stars. I love the customizations, the filters are gorgeous, and something about this app, more than any other photo editing app I’ve tried, just makes sense. Unfortunately, ever since I purchased the Analogue (I believe it’s called) filter pack, the app has completely gone haywire on me. I can get to my photo library, and select the photo I want to edit, but no edits are being made to the photos when I select them. I’m not trying to do anything experimental or weird or difficult for my phone to handle, I’m simply trying to add a filter, and for some reason it won’t load the filters onto my photos. I can see how they should look in the thumbnail version of the photo below the name of the filter currently selected, but no change is happening to the actual photo, or it shrinks up into the corner and looks all grainy, and unfiltered still. Help please!!
Developer Response ,
Hi Lilian, are you still seeing issues? We've made a lot of improvements and fixes to the app since launch. I'd love if you could update your review if you're no longer seeing the issues!
In-App PurchasesSee All
- Ben McCarthy
- 89.1 MB
- Photo & Video
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © Ben McCarthy, 2018
- In-App Purchases
- Black & White $1.99
- Analogue $1.99
- Small Tip $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.