Pigeon helps New Yorkers avoid delays, crowds and other public transit disruptions with real-time, crowdsourced updates and departure times for the subway, bus, train, and ferry. We’re THE app for locals who are tired of unexpected delays or service changes and want to escape the crush of the rush-hour crowds. We bring you the most real-time info on public transit straight from the source: people riding on public transit, right now!
5-STAR USER REVIEWS
“My fave transit app.”
"This has quickly become my go-to app for commuting!”
"I get notifications from this app about delays, service changes, etc. the second they happen.”
"Mixture of Waze and subways together!"
“Great community of people that look out for one another.”
“A crowdsourced future!”
WHY USE PIGEON
1) Choose the best route: get all the real-time info you need to choose the best route on public transit.
2) Get home faster: save your commute information and receive notifications in advance of your departure about delays, reroutes, issues, and weather conditions.
3) Know about issues first: get notified about public transit issues you care about sooner.
4) Be part of the best community: be part of our Transit Heroes community--a group of riders that report observations and/or incidents to make the ride better for everyone.
* Commute Notifications: We warn riders about issues they may want to avoid before commuting.
* Transit Alerts: Keep Pigeon on your phone and to be in the know about major disruptions.
* Send ETA: Tell your friends and family when you’ll arrive (and warn them about delays)!
* Accurate Duration Estimates: Transfer wait times are included in our estimates to give the most accurate ETAs.
* Crowdsourced Route Status: We use data available from the MTA as well as crowdsourced data to update route statuses.
* Real-time Train Crowdedness: If someone reports a crowd on a train, you’ll be able to see this at stations ahead.
* Pigeon avatars: Earn points for reporting and get to earn new NY-themed avatars.
SYSTEMS WE SUPPORT
Subway, Bus, Rail, Ferry
Pigeon is FREE and available on iOS.
Bug fixes and performance improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
M line doesn’t go up the 2nd ave Q line
Only complaint is that the app shows trains stopping at stations that are either after-hours/weekend stops only or are routes that are used when trains are rerouted during construction, even when the trains are operating under normal service. For instance, the M does not go on the F line north of rockefeller center and it definitely doesn’t go up the 2nd ave line to 72nd or 86th street except for some weekend service. The app should know which lines are operating at which stops and when. An inexperienced commuter would be easily confused by the way the lines are presented in the app.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the review!
We have recently noticed some bugs with our station ordering caused by off-peak schedules, and we’ll be pushing a fix asap. You should see an improvement with the next update! If you see more issues please let us know at email@example.com.
Pigeon is the 🐐 Subway App.
I highly recommend this app if you commute often, have more than one subway line near your place, or transfer trains regularly at busy stations. It provides real time options to make sure you arrive on time and with less frustration!
Three straight days, and three straight saves by Pigeon Transit when commuting from Brooklyn to meetings at Lincoln Center and Midtown East. Example: pigeon alerts me that L is having issues so I seamlessly audible on my walk subway and head toward the J train. At Essex st station, I intend to hop on the F, but F is stuck in BL due to mysterious issue (as noted by rider feedback) even though screens say it’s 5 min away, so I tweak the plan and catch the M to west 4th and the A at west 4th to arrive for meeting on time and not 10 minutes late. The app makes the subways come alive on the map and feel like they are working for me, not constantly letting me down...
Get this (free) app on your phone!
My fave transit app
If you live in NYC, you know that depending on the MTA daily is frustrating and confusing. Pigeon gives you the option to depend on other New Yorkers (for information, at least). I get notifications from this app about delays, service changes, etc. the second they happen. With the features like the daily commute notifications, my husband and I can plan when to leave our apartment to get to work on time. And we all know that just because the MTA says certain lines are working or not delayed it doesn’t mean everything is running correctly. Pigeon will give you way more specifics (2 min delay, busy station, train skipped station, etc.). Could go on and on. Love it!
Developer Response ,
Thank your for sharing your positive experience with Pigeon!! We appreciate it 👊🏼
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.