Epic 64-voice Virtual Analog / PCM iPad Synth
Inspired by the Digital Synths of the 80s and 90s
100% of proceeds from this app go to support the AudioKit open-source project & AudioKit Synth One.
*** TOP 3 iOS MUSIC APPS OF 2018 *** - Music Radar Awards
(Computer Music & Future Music Magazine)
** Featured By Apple in "New Apps We Love!" **
"A Perfect Synth" - App Advice, Apps of the Week
"Fans of the D-50, JD-990, 01/W, Wavestation... Rejoice!" - Music Radar
FULLY LOADED w/ 500+ presets by Brice Beasley, Matthew Fecher, Red Sky Lullaby, Jakob Haq, Dean Daughters (Electronisounds), Sound of Izrael, Brian Funk, and more
"D1 Sounds awesome... Get this app!"
- Sonic State, Featured D1 on Podcast & Live Video Stream
DIGITAL D1 is AWESOME:
• 64-voice Hybrid Digital Poly Synthesis.
• Full 1+ Gigabyte of original samples recorded from analog & fm synths over 30+ years old
• AUv3 Plugin & Stand-alone iPad Synth
• Space-saving Compression - The whole app is under 200mb!
• Dual layers per voice. Keyboard splits. Velocity Scaling.
• Vintage-style Arp/Step Sequencer that can be routed to specific layers.
• 3 LFOs. Fun Routings. LFOs can modify other LFOs.
• Dual Independent per-Layer filters
• Plus, per-voice Harmonic key-tracked Envelope filters.
"Digital D1 Sounds and plays AMAZING!" - The Sound Test Room
"Rad retro synth sounds" - Cult of Mac, App of the Week
"AudioKit Digital D1 is a beautiful Synthesizer app that recreates the spirit of legendary synths" - Synth Anatomy
• FX: Glorious Reverb, Phaser, Digital Delay, Distortion, Flanger, Chorus, Crush, and more.
• Perfect with a MIDI Keyboard
• Ableton Link
• All kinds of awesome stuff
• The Sound. Oh, the sound. You won't believe it.
"Digital D1 synth is pure ‘80s and ‘90s digital lushness" - Computer Music/Music Radar
"Beautiful. Lush. Modern and Amazing… An Instant Classic."
Requires newer iPads for best performance. May be slow on iPad 4.
IAA is being deprecated by Apple in iOS 13. We're moving to AUv3 as well. Please replace IAA with AUv3 in your projects.
GarageBand Audio Unit (AUv3):
You can run one instance of D1 as an AUv3 in GarageBand. With a host like AUM, you can run 3 or more instances at once.
For iPad 4 - Open the "Settings" button (to the upper left above the keyboard). Turn the buffer to 512 or above. And turn the "CPU Efficient" toggle to on. If still having trouble, try closing other music apps and/or rebooting your iPad. Thanks!
Not sure if Digital D1 will work on your device?
Download our free AudioKit Synth One app
DIGITAL D1 SOUND DEMOS:
** NOMINATED: Best iOS Music Apps of 2018 **
by Computer Music & Future Music magazine.
"The Best Synth For iOS [period]"
"I've been playing synths for 35 years. And, this is as good as it gets"
"The Sound... Perfect!"
"Breathtaking Presets, right out-of-the box"
"The sound quality competes with hardware synths"
You want great sound right away? It has tons of presets.
Plus, the ability to easily manipulate sounds with filters, delays, and other FX.
Easy to use. Easy to get great tone.
+ Mod Wheel can morph between layers. Start with an Electric Piano, and slowly bring in Strings with your MIDI controller.
+ Creative and beautiful live performances.
+ Epic pads that will inspire you
Email us your music & bugs: email@example.com
** This app does not sample any PCM-based synths, including Roland or Korg digital keyboards. Additionally, this app does not have any business relationship with Roland, Korg, or any other 80s/90s Digital Synth manufacturers.
*** All app sounds were created by pure analog and fm synthesis. We took these new sounds. Stacked them. Flipped them. And, processed the heck out of ’em. Resulting in a beautiful new sonic palette for you to enjoy.
Thanks Everyone! You're Amazing!
• Re-engineered to be more Memory efficient with AUv3
• Reduces Crashes in AUv3
• Better iPadOS Support
• We've got more to go... We're working constantly to improve AudioKit apps for you.
Thanks for your support!
Plus, other recent updates:
• AUv3 now mixes down and freezes in Cubasis, NS2, GarageBand, and more!
• D1 has been re-engineered to allow AUv3 in iPadOS/iOS 13
• Inter-app Audio (IAA) has been improved!
• Misc bug fixes & upgrades
• AudioKit apps will keep improving. We're working hard to make them better for you!
* D1 is rather robust. It's a beast of a synth.
* GarageBand: We recommend only running one AUv3 instance at a time in GarageBand
* We've and optimized it so you can run 3 or more instances in one AUM project! Of course, if you go above 3 instances running at once, it may become unstable.
* AUv3 also handles MIDI better. Use your favorite iOS host like AUM to route MIDI to different instances
* AUv3 mode defaults to CPU efficient mode on, which means you don't see the knob animation on LFOs. BTW, this makes it easier to set LFO targets. This can be changed in the "Settings" button to the upper left of the keyboard
* There's a new keyboard hide/show icon that appears at the top of the AUv3 mode to make it easier to show/hide bottom panels in AUv3 mode
* We can't wait to hear the music you make with D1 as an AUv3
* The app will just get better & better - stay tuned!
Email bugs, music, & friendly notes to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We're working hard to improve the app for you!
Ratings and Reviews
BEST VST FOR IOS PERIOD!
First off I’m a musician not a sound engineer for movies or anything for that matter. With 400+ presets, and not like some lame presets that you’ll get from other apps which all sounds very similar and the only way to get that sound you’re looking for is to spend hours tweaking it. I have to give major props to the guys at D1 for putting in the works to create such high quality and beautiful sounding presets, and only if I really have to tweak anything it will be very minimal. Of course D1 has all those fancy tweaking nobs but who has time for that when you’re in that moment where you just want to lay down a quick melody or chords. D1 layouts are truly amazing, very simple to use especially for a guy who doesn’t like nobbleing around and this doesn’t overwhelms me at all. I CAN NOT WAIT till they release the AU3 compatible version of this app. Awesome work guys! Keep music alive even though it’ll never die. BTW, I hate writing reviews as much as I hate tweaking sounds but for this app I just have to.
Great Synth by a Great Company
Not only is the synth itself really amazing, but it does a great job combining an old technology in a new way. Makes really great pads naturally but also can be used for some faster funky stuff too. The AudioKit team is very responsive to bug reports and is committed to fixing everything they can.
This is a great synth but also realize all the proceeds go to supporting the open source effort of AudioKit. They make free synths for everyone and they provide a free platform to help people make their own audio applications to their apps. I’d get the synth just to support that effort, but it also happens that this is a very nice one of a kind synth for iOS.
Still Not Usable as AU
Update Nov 19th, 2019: D1 just interrupted my project asking to send notifications, causing Nanostudio 2 to crash and completely wipe out my project. I didn’t even have it in my project as an Audio Unit! I guess having it on my iPad is dangerous.
I see you released a new update claiming audio unit stability, but it still isn’t working. I give you credit for trying, and maybe one of these days it will work. I bought both the apps claiming AU3 functionality, only to be sadly disappointed. They are nice as standalone apps, but this is not why I purchased these. You cannot in good faith claim that these are functional when they are not. Unfortunately you’ve already made these claims, and there’s only one direction to take, and that’s to quickly resolve the issues. Musicians are very forgiving, and like myself are enamored by the amazing apps you’ve developed. Looking forward to the day that I read all issues resolved. Then I’ll be back to download again and to leave a better review. Good luck!
Developer Response ,
The latest update addressed a bug that was introduced due to Xcode11, an unwelcomed surprise for us and our customers. That being behind us we still have a a few more things to address and we do appreciate your patience. Could you possibly email us a list of your issues to email@example.com and we'll make sure to test around them. Thank your for willingness to amend your review when the issues are taken care of that, is very much appreciated by our team of developers. Aure
- AudioKit Pro, LLC
- 358.6 MB
Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- © Built with AudioKit
- In-App Purchases
- D1 PCM Expansion-01
- Platinum Expansion PCM EXP-01
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.