This app is targeted at enthusiasts & professionals working in digital music production.
Xequence is a comprehensive, fast & reliable MIDI sequencer, editor, arranger & controller for iPhone & iPad.
Providing a desktop-class editing experience, it is the perfect centerpiece for your hardware studio, or for apps like AUM & Audiobus 3 to create a modular mobile music production environment.
- Efficient and fast User Interface for an amazing mobile editing workflow
- Full support for scales and scale-based editing throughout the app (keyboard, pianoroll, etc.)
- Over 70 scales in 10 categories included
- Full Ableton Link 3 support
- Full Audiobus 3 support
- Robust MIDI File Import & Export (notes, controllers, program changes, track names, etc.)
- Best-in-class MIDI timing and clock output
- MIDI Time Stretching support in all editors
- Full MIDI In & Thru with rechannelization & rerouting
- MIDI Sync Master (Clock/Start/Stop/Continue/SPP) - other DAWs & sequencers can run in sync with Xequence, e.g. to use audio tracks, or external drum machines. Several modes for full compatibility
- Unlimited Clips
- Unlimited Tracks
- Unlimited Sub Tracks per Track
- 64 Undo/Redo steps
- Fully adjustable grid
- Per-track non-destructive Swing & MIDI Delay
- Clips can be independent or linked (editing the original modifies all copies)
- Powerful clip-based, per-track independent looping
- Program changes
- Selection tools: Marquee/Rectangle, Same Track, Same Instrument, Linked Clips, Invert, etc.
- Editing tools: Create Copy, Create Linked Copy, Unlink, Split, Join, Convert loops to clips, etc.
- All edits can be performed across multiple tracks and clips
- Global clipboard, even between projects
- Movement/Trimming Handles at screen edges for efficient editing
- 256 Undo/Redo steps
- Fully scale-aware
- Relative or absolute grid: Snap Events to nearest grid line, or move by grid increments
- Live previews of all edits
- Selection tools: Box, Same Note, Same Key, Same Beat Position, Invert, etc.
- Editing tools: Copy, Legato, Quantize, Quantize Ends, Octave +/-, Flip H/V (mirror), Fill clip with selection, etc.
- Smart Draw mode: Touch to create, touch again to delete, drag up/down to transpose, drag left/right to change length
- Global clipboard, even between projects
- Note velocities can be adjusted quickly via a handle, or edited just like controllers, see below:
- 256 Undo/Redo steps
- Selection tools: Box, Same Beat Position, Invert
- Selection modes: Add & Replace
- Editing tools: Copy, Reduce, Quantize, Compress/Expand, Flip H/V (mirror), Ramp (various curves), Fill clip with selection
- Smart Draw mode
- Note Velocities can be shown as controllers and edited with the same tools
KEYBOARD / CONTROLLER:
- Fully scale-aware, very playable single or dual keyboards
- Glide support
- Freely adjustable key width
- Velocity emulation (via vertical position on key)
- Drum maps and pads, fully editable, 40+ factory maps
- Touch ribbons next to the keyboard for live control
- All controllers can be played by sliding (ribbon), device rotation (up to three axes simultaneously), played like a button (sustain pedal, "trance gates"), or by touching the keys at different vertical positions. All highly configurable.
- Unlimited Instruments (MIDI devices or apps & channel)
- Up to 30 definable controllers (CCs) per Instrument
- Compatible with virtually ALL apps and class-compliant MIDI interfaces
- Audio or MIDI Metronome
- Note chasing (notes play even when playback starts in the middle)
- Controller chasing
- Perfect song looping, no dropouts/jitter at loop points
- Supports any time signature/BPM (fixed per song)
- Includes PolyHymnia, an advanced Generative Music module
- Dynamic Ruler (can be set to auto-hide to preserve screen space)
- Bright or dark color scheme
Please report any issues via our website, we provide quick and comprehensive support!
- Mouse support! Please note that zooming in editors still requires multi-touch (two fingers).
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
The dev is always right.
I got this app a while ago and was like oh cool it’s a sequencer that’s super super easy to use and super stable and has a generative MIDI thing but it was only until I actually BECAME a HARDCORE iOS musician that I was like oh whoa this thing is now a super super essential tool. I actually also find it super handy to link it with all my synthesizer apps and make infinite generative music for my study time. (I could go buy a generative MIDI app but I already spend $18 on this and it works fine.) So anyway - if you’re not a hardcore iOS studio artist (basically if you haven’t gotten to AUv3 or IAA or Virtual MIDI yet and are just working with GarageBand) you’ll find this app nice, but hard to integrate; it’s not until you expand your digital sonic horizons and get a pro DAW running that you’ll fully realize the potential of Xequence.
Best Linear Midi Sequencer for iOS, period.
While other apps like Quantum and Atom are also excellent in their specific areas, Xequence 2 is hands down the best all around midi sequencer for linear arrangements, and has a lot of loop based features as well. The developer is very active in the iOS music community and has done a commendable job at listening to feedback and feature requests for Xequence v1.
Rather than keep adding IAPs, the app has been rebuilt from the foundation up, and anyone who has spent significant time with the initial app will notice the improved responsiveness, streamlined features and simple but much appreciated new features like:
-Importing midi into an existing project
-Being able to easily time stretch parts from different sources to match the same tempo
- Non-destructive trimming of clips and loops from beginning or end (something that is often surprisingly overlooked.)
I could go on, but suffice to say if you do any serious midi editing on your iPhone or iPad, you owe to yourself to check this out.
Equally useful paired with AUM or AB3, or as a more robust arrangement tool for Gadget, BM3 or Cubasis.
Next Generation of a Wonderful App!
Xequence 2 simply the best midi recording, editing, and playback solution on iOS! It’s become the centerpiece of composing for me. I find the experience far superior to any of the several iOS DAW piano rolls and timelines I own - to the point that I do all my composing in Xequence 2 regardless of the app(s) making the sounds. You do need to know or learn the basics of connecting MIDI between apps, but you need that anyway. ;-)
UPDATE: Since release the app has continually gotten even better. But I also want to say that, honestly, everyone I’ve recommended it to has been thrilled with it. Feedback is virtually all positive on the popular Audiobus forum as well. So, it’s not just me.
- Seven Systems Cross-Platform Media Limited
- 7.5 MB
Requires iOS 11.4 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2017 Seven Systems Cross-Platform Media Ltd.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.