There has never been a better time to get into XMPP, a free public chat network no one controls or owns. Monal is a fast and user friendly way to use XMPP. Just download the app, login or register and you are ready to chat in minutes. It looks and works the way other apps do, so there is no need to “learn XMPP” or even care what it is.
- No Ads! Strong focus on privacy. Does not phone home and does not have "metrics" software beyond anonymous crash reporting (crashlytics). Does not read any personal information.
- With a direct connection to your server, your password and all other info is never sent to a third party.
- OMEMO encrypted chat
- Will work with corporate XMPP servers that require VPN
- MUC multi user chat
Implements XMPP certain extensions intended to improve mobile communication.
- XEP-0357: Push Notifications
- XEP-0280: Message Carbons keep messages in synch between clients.
- XEP-0198: Stream Management to quickly reconnect.
- XEP-0199: XMPP Ping to maintain connections.
- XEP-0313: Message Archive Management to download chat history.
- XEP-0352: Client State Indication for dramatic reduction on power use.
- XEP-0363: HTTP File Upload to send images in conversations.
Support OMEMO in private MUCs
Minimum macOS version is now 11.0 (Catalyst 14.0)
Communication Notifications on macOS 12
New improved and simplified notification appex
Switched to new newer libsignal-protocol-c version
Fixing some memory leaks
Fixes muc invites
Reduce avatar image size to ~60kb to make ejabberd throttling happy
Support muc muting again and implement "mention only" notification mode for mucs
Fix voice messages from conversations
Allow deletion of history for one contact
Add autodeletion of messages after 3 days (default: off)
Update timeouts to make Monal work even under very bad/slow network conditions
Add support for xmpp: invites (https://docs.modernxmpp.org/client/invites/)
Use bigger iq timeouts to account for throttling by xmpp servers (like ejabberd)
Remove all old VoIP code (was not working anymore)
Prevent spurious "could not sync" errors in multi account setups
Use less memory on incoming stanza flood (only parse ~100 stanzas at once)
Fix error in message deduplication (some messages could be received twice)
Ratings and Reviews
Nice, but MUC support is buggy though
Seem promising, but the MUC support seems buggy, my older messages wouldn't load and it was stuck in a "sending" loop.
Also, it gets stuck on "loading omemo bundles" at first. But i managed to skip it by clicking out
Giving 5 star to bump that 2.0 up, good work...
Developer Response ,
The upcoming version 5.0 will exactlyfix that: the muc support was completely rewritten and is now functional again
Looks cool, but isn't logging in to a Trillian account. I'll happily update the rating if it can be made to work, but doesn't seem to be working at all.
Developer Response ,
Thanks, Could you try the most recent build and let me know if there are issues
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Anurodh Pokharel
- 8.5 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Nepali, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2022 Anurodh Pokharel