A performant, lightweight, and simple plain text editor with syntax highlighting, line numbers, search and replace, page guide, and much more.
Runestone is made by a single person with a love for text editors and a vision of building the most lightweight text editor for iPhone and iPad that still has the core features for editing code.
- Select one of the twelve standard themes including popular themes like Tomorrow, Dracula, Solarized, and One Dark Pro.
- Innovative find and replace for searching and modifying text while still viewing your file.
- Choose font and font size, including support for custom fonts imported using another third-party app.
- Show the line and column the cursor is located on.
- Uses the standard document browser for an experience similar to the Files app.
- Quickly navigate to a specific line.
- Automatically close opening brackets and quotes.
- Multiple windows on the iPad.
- Choose text encoding between popular encodings like UTF-8, UTF-16, ISO Latin 1, and many more.
- Enable or disable autocorrection, autocapitalization, and smart punctuation.
- Set default file extension of new files.
- Open files in Runestone from the Share Sheet.
- Print documents.
- Choose between eight app icons.
- Show line numbers.
- Highlight the selected line.
- Increase line height and letter spacing.
- Disable line wrapping to allow horizontal scrolling.
- Show tabs, spaces, and line breaks using a selected symbol.
- Enable page guide at a specific column to easily tell when lines are getting too long.
- Add vertical and horizontal overscroll.
- Remember the selected language per file.
- Save file extensions and filenames that should always be treated as plain text files.
- Enable soft tabs and choose the width of the tab character.
- Specify whether pressing the tab key should insert a tab or indent the line.
- Adjust the scaling of Markdown headings and disable highlighting of code blocks in Markdown.
Premium features are unlocked with a one-time in-app purchase that’s currently priced at $9.99 USD. Pricing may vary from country to country.
Runestone was built on the open-source framework with the same name. Find more information on the Runestone framework at github.com/simonbs/runestone
- Move lines up and down with Option + Up and Option + Down or by long pressing the “Shift” icon in the toolbar that belongs to the keyboard.
- Adds support for highlighting Lua files.
- Reduces the size of the app.
- Disables horizontal overscroll when line wrapping is enabled.
- Fixes an issue where performing “Select All” could take several seconds.
- Fixes an issue where files containing TypeScript was not highlighted properly.
- Fixes an issue where lines in files using CRLF line breaks would be wrapped too aggressively.
- Fixes an issue where users who had previously used a TestFlight build would have access to Premium in the builds downloaded from the App Store.
Ratings and Reviews
I wrote this review in Runestone
A good text editor is like a freshly sharpened chef’s knife. It just FEELS good to use, and it makes you happy. You know what a dull knife feels like and you can appreciate the perfect slicing motion you get from using the right tool for the job. Runestone is the right tool for text editing. It’s gorgeous, powerful enough to tackle editing huge files, and simple enough to jot down some quick notes or whip up a blog post for your static site. Combine this app with a git client, an SSH client, and you can manage your home software stack on the go. Finally, there’s not enough space here to say nice things about the developer, so I’ll leave it at - he’s incredibly thoughtful and responsive. If you have feedback on the app, hit him up on Twitter. Thanks Simon, for dedicating so much time to making this amazing app!!
The app is terrific so far, but _does_ have one problem
I’m editing files straight out of Working Copy, where I keep a local copy of my “dotfiles” project. Lots of files in there live inside directories that start with a dot, such as .config etc. Or the files themselves start with a dot, like .inputrc, .bashrc. I can’t figure out how to get to these files in Runestone. I wanted to report this as a bug but could not find the appropriate place to do so; so I’m doing it here. The app is great and clearly worth five stars so I’m not going to dock stars for this bug, but please, please, take this under consideration.
A great, modern lightweight text editor
Runestone definitely exceeds the expectations of being a lightweight text editor for iPad and iPhone. With its modern design an architecture, the app feels right at home with tons of other iPadOS apps while packing a rich feature set that’s come in handy in the few times I’ve used the app. The Premium package is definitely worth the price and extends Runestone further to how I like my editing tools. It’s a strong contender against the editor I’ve used for years on iPad, Textastic, and I’d love to see something similar come to the Mac.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Simon Stovring
- 43.8 MB
- Developer Tools
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 15.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2022 Simon B. Støvring
- In-App Purchases
- Premium $9.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.