Explore perilous dungeons, battle hordes of monsters, avoid devilish traps, and rescue the Sword of Fargoal in this award-winning dungeon-crawler RPG.
• 85 / 100 - Metacritic
• One of the “Best Video Games of All Time” - Computer Gaming World
• 5 / 5 - TouchArcade “Best iPhone Games of the Year”
• 9 / 10 - GamePro
Embark on an old school roguelike adventure packed with nostalgia, use a cunning array of magic spells and potions to help you when swords and brute force fail, and discover Sword of Fargoal, the genre-defining dungeon crawler game that inspired generations.
The Sword of Fargoal is somewhere in the depths of the dungeon, waiting for you to find it and bring it back to the surface. It's no easy task. Not only do you need to find your way around each maze-like floor to discover the stairs down to the next level, but you also need to survive any traps and monsters you stumble across on your travels. Each time you play, the dungeon and its contents change.
You'll find plenty of help along the way- tools, equipment, and magic spells. You never quite know what you'll find in the dungeon, but if you make the most of what you discover, you may well survive long enough to put your hands on the legendary blade itself. Of course, escaping with the sword is another task entirely.
- Endless Questing: With a different dungeon to tackle every time you play, you'll never run out of adventures!
- Become a Hero: Battle monsters, gather gold, and make offerings at temples to increase your power!
- Awesome Treasure: Find a variety of spells, magical amulets, and mysterious orbs to help you on your journey!
- Terrifying Monsters: Keep your wits about you to avoid defeat at the claws of grisly Gargoyles, powerful Shadow Dragons, invincible Demons, and many more. Even your fellow humans can't be trusted!
- Multiple Difficulty Settings: Enjoy unlimited lives in Squire Mode, take on the standard Hero Mode, or try to tackle the ultimate challenge in Legend Mode!
***Supports MFi, XBox, and PlayStation Controllers***
Sword of Fargoal is one of the many fantastic games brought back to life by GameClub, fully updated to support the latest versions of iOS and newest devices.
Sword of Fargoal - GameClub is playable for free, with some sections and features available only to subscribers of GameClub Pro, an optional auto-renewing monthly subscription which also removes ads. Besides the GameClub Pro subscription, there are no other in-app purchases in this game.
If you choose to purchase the optional subscription:
- Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase. No charge will be made for the free trial period.
- Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period.
- Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior of the current period, at the cost indicated.
- You can manage your subscriptions and turn off auto-renewal by going to your App Store account settings after purchase.
- Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable
Thanks for playing this GameClub game! GameClub offers a curated catalog of iconic games, with new titles released every week. Subscribers get access to unlimited gameplay, no ads, and no additional purchases — just pure fun.
This update contains bug fixes and performance improvements. Let’s play!
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great game but disables iPod audio
I love this game. I've spent countless hours slashing my way through dungeon after dungeon. By all rights this game should be five stars - great gameplay, responsive developers, frequent enough updates, fun fun fun. However, I see no reason that you shouldn't be able to launch the game and play without interrupting your iPod audio. I play games on the subway on my way to and from work and don't play this game as often as I'd like since I can't listen to my podcasts and audiobooks during the hours upon hours it takes to complete. Fix this and let me play my own soundtrack and this will easily be one of the best games I have on my phone.
Update to the update!
I'm playing through Sword Of Fargoal for the sixth time now, eagerly anticipating Fargoal 2! I read on here that they're preparing to release Fargoal 2, and I couldn't be more ecstatic. Character classes? New monsters and items and tile sets? And it's free?! Count me in!
Fargoal is a wonderfully ported and semi-updated version of the Commodore 64 classic. Most of the graphics received an overhaul, while things like the sound effects remain true to their C64 roots. People who are saying that this game is just a non-stop grind are completely wrong and are missing the point. Fargoal is more about the experience, the exploration. It's about the thrill of walking through a tunnel in the wall and exploring the crypt on level 7. It's about finding items to help you in your quest for the Sword Of Fargoal. If you can overlook the grind, you'll find a rich and rewarding experience that easily trumps every crappy western and JRPG in the AppStore. If you don't give this one a chance because you don't understand or get the wrong idea, then it's your loss. Fargoal is fantastic, and I can't even imagine how they could make it better with Fargoal 2. Get it now!
My Favorite iPhone Game. Period.
I can't believe I've never written a review for Sword of Fargoal! This is my favorite iOS game out there! Who knows how many dozens of hours I've poured into it. I used to play it during my breaks at work to escape from everything around me into an adventure, haha. Most of the people who have written some of the more negative reviews simply don't understand the type of game that Fargoal is and don't care to find out.
Sword of Fargoal is what you would call a "roguelike". It is a game about delving deeper and deeper into a deadly dungeon, in search of a mythical sword. You fight monsters, discover items, learn spells, and gain levels. However, the gameplay isn't as much about action as it is about strategy. When your character dies, that's it. You have to make a new character and start from the beginning. It gives the game a very satisfying risk/reward system and obviously a challenging difficulty. The dungeon is randomly generated though, which means TONS of replay value. Each character you make will have a unique experience.
The graphics are very nice and I love the moody music probably above anything else in the game. Also, the controls are another high point. The greatest thing about Fargoal is the sheer level of polish. Sword of Fargoal is a labor of love and it shows. I didn't really like roguelikes before I played Fargoal, now I love them!
Whatever the price is, buy this game.
Can't wait for the sequel!
- GameClub Inc.
- 114.1 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © 2009 Fargoal, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- GameClub Monthly Subscription $4.99
- GameClub Unlimited $4.99
- GameClub Unlimited $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.