Midori is a Japanese-English, English-Japanese dictionary. It's a perfect tool for those who are studying Japanese, with 910,000 entries, 150,000 example sentences, and many features that will make your Japanese learning experience much easier.
• More than 190,000 word entries. Each entry shows readings, meanings, and kanji breakdown.
• More than 12,000 kanji entries. Each entry shows readings, meanings, and example compounds.
• Example sentences with furigana (small hiragana above kanji).
• Words in example sentences are linked to the definitions.
• Over 6,000 kanji with stroke order diagrams and stroke order animations.
• Over 730,000 Japanese proper names, place names, given names, company names and product names.
SEARCH & TRANSLATE
• Search words by kana or romaji, such as あき or aki
• Search kanji by drawing them. Our Japanese handwriting recognition can handle arbitrary stroke order.
• Search kanji by radicals, e.g. 禾 + 火 -> 秋
• Search suggestion when the input is in a conjugated form, e.g. 走った -> 走る
• Search with wildcard characters, e.g. 日*人 returns all words that start with 日 and end with 人
• Search with the SKIP system
• Partial results when the full word is not found, e.g. searching for 青い本 returns the results for 青い and 本
• Fast incremental search gives you the result instantly as you type
LISTS & BOOKMARKS
• List of kanji as taught in Japanese schools from grade 1 to 6
• List of kanji by frequency as appeared in Japanese newspapers
• List of kanji and words by Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) levels
• Lists of hiragana and katakana, each with stroke diagram and animation
• Bookmarks with folders support. You can export, import, or share bookmarks with your friends.
• Flashcards for bookmarked words and kanji
• Audio pronunciations (from speech synthesis)
• Create a vocabulary list with definitions from Japanese text in one tap
• Scratch pad for practicing writing kanji on iPad
• No internet connection required. The app is completely offline.
• 3D Touch support
• Dark mode
• Universal app. Run on all your iOS devices, whether it's iPhone or iPad
Follow us on Twitter at @MidoriApp
Acknowledgements: This application has included material from the JMdict (EDICT, etc.), KANJIDIC2, ENAMDICT, and KRADFILE dictionary files in accordance with the licence provisions of the Electronic Dictionaries Research Group. See https://www.edrdg.org/
- Updated database
- Bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
I use this app everyday!
As an English speaker living in Japan for the past year and a half, I have found this app extremely helpful. I bought it when I had zero Japanese ability and now am studying for my n2 exam. I utilize almost all the functions of this app daily from studying vocabulary to looking up words I don't understand in daily life. I love that I can save words in my own lists for later study. The new updates including the additional "common" label for words as well as being able to write any stroke order have made this app even more convenient. When learning new vocabulary, I love that most words have multiple example sentences. Adding sentences to more words can make this excellent app even more outstanding. I think this app is worth every ¥$€£. Thank you!
The best Japanese dictionary, period.
Midori has been indispensable throughout my Japanese journey over many years, from an absolute beginner trying to memorize kana to an intermediate-level speaker learning more complex kanji and vocabulary. It’s a shame for Apple’s App Store search system that Midori does not easily show up unless you specifically search for Midori. Some of the best features that give Midori an edge over other apps: Pasting entire sentences in the search field and getting a list of all kanji. Searching conjugated forms, slang words and handwriting. Extra information such as cultural and usage notes. Translation feature that just adds furigana and highlights all kanji. Very handy for intermediate students. Best of all: it’s all offline and no subscriptions required!! THANK YOU!
This is hands down the best Japanese dictionary app out of all the ones I checked out for iOS. It does everything I would want out of an electronic dictionary. Look up words in English or Japanese by entering characters, or selecting radicals, or drawing the kanji. It automatically saves everything you look up to the history so you can refer to it later. You can also bookmark useful entries and organize them into folders. Each entry is very detailed: gives the definition, shows stroke order, gives example sentences, shows the relevant kanji's meaning, and let's you add notes. All words are cross-linked so you can easily jump to another entry. What a wonderful job this developer has done! Worth every penny!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Sukolsak Sakshuwong
- 179.2 MB
- Requires iOS 14.1 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.1 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.1 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Sukolsak Sakshuwong
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.