KPlayer is the video playback app. If 'H.264/HEVC Hardware Acceleration' is supported, it can play 1080p, 4K video files better smoothly.¹ Also it can enjoy a movie in the concise interface with the high-quality subtitles that are displayed quickly.
• 'H.264/HEVC Hardware Acceleration' support¹
• 'Aspect Ratio Settings' support
• 'Playback Speed Settings' support
• 'Skip' support
• 'Playlist' support²
• 'Continued Play' support
• 'Move to Trash’ support
• 'Plan B' support
• 'Subtitles' (Sandbox²)
- It supports SMI, SRT type.
- Ruby tag is also available.
- Subtitles are displayed in real time even if it searches the playback position through the time slider.
- If it opens the video (file_name), it searches and opens the subtitles (named like these).
▹ (file_name/file_name*) at the same folder, or manually open (file_name/file_name*) from the same folder.
▹ Only if it opens the BDMV's folder, (folder_name/folder_name*) and then (file_name/file_name*) at the current ‘P Folder’, or manually open (folder_name/folder_name*) or (file_name/file_name*) from anywhere. (folder_name/folder_name*) is only for file with maximum duration in the playlist.
• 'Commentary' (Sandbox²)
- It supports TXT (plain text) type.
- It shows a plain text commentary file in a separate window.
- If it opens the video (file_name), it searches and opens the commentary (named like these).
▹ (file_name) at the same folder, or manually open (file_name) from the same folder.
▹ Only if it opens the BDMV's folder, (folder_name) and then (file_name) at the current ‘P Folder’, or manually open (folder_name) or (file_name) from anywhere. (folder_name) is only for file with maximum duration in the playlist.
• Playable Types³
- 'Native' mode: M4V, MP4, MOV.
- 'FFmpeg' mode: M4V, MP4, MOV, MKV, AVI, FLV, WMV, RMVB, M2TS, TP, TS, TRP.
It can get more detail informations about these features at "KPlayer Support".
1. H.264/HEVC Hardware Acceleration
- 'H.264 Hardware Acceleration' may not be supported according to CPU/GPU or file format.
- 'HEVC(H.265) Hardware Acceleration' requires macOS 10.13 or later and recent CPU.
▹ 6th(8-bit)/7th(10-bit) Generation Intel CPU or later.
- On 'Native' mode, it requires M4V, MP4 or MOV types encoded in H.264(8-bit)/HEVC(8-bit) and AAC/ALAC
On 'FFmpeg' mode, it requires the video encoded in H.264(8-bit)/HEVC(8 or 10-bit).
- If the video track was encoded in settings that macOS doesn't support, it may not be supported.
If it is not supported, playback and navigating may not be smooth according to CPU. (especially when plays 1080p, 4K)
- If it opens not 'folders' but ‘video files' and these ‘files’ are not in the following folder or its subfolders; ‘P Folder' folders in 'Preferences’,
▹ it should open the same-named subtitle/commentary files manually,
▹ and it doesn't support the feature that playlist is automatically made up of the similar-named video files.
- 'P Folder' option remembers folders once opened by this option. So, even if changes the current 'P Folder' value, it can access old 'P Folder' folders.
3. Playable Types
- It doesn't support the playback of a protected video file.
- When it opens the BDMV’s folder, ‘m2ts' files that are contained in 'BDMV' will be automatically added to the playlist.
▹ For example, if DSK/BDMV, please open the ‘DSK’ folder.
- The video file encoded in 'YUV420P' pixel format can be played normally on Native/FFmpeg mode.
‘YUV420P 10-bit’, 'YUV444P 8/10-bit' pixel formats can be played only on FFmpeg mode.
※ KPlayer uses some dynamic libraries of 'FFmpeg' licensed under the LGPLv2.1. It can get more informations at 'http://ffmpeg.org'.
※ The 'ThecircleM' font provided by The Circle Foundation is applied to the screenshots. The 'ThecircleM' font can be downloaded from The Circle Foundation. (http://www.thecircle.or.kr/동그라미재단-서체/)
• 'Plan B' was added for subtitles.
- For multi-language subtitles, if characters cannot be displayed with the current font, the next font is applied in order.
- It is recommended to set from small set to large set order. For example, 'Gill Sans' for English, 'Hiragino Sans W4' for Japanese, 'ThecircleM' for Korean.
※ The 'ThecircleM' font can be downloaded from The Circle Foundation. (http://www.thecircle.or.kr/동그라미재단-서체/)
• 'Ruby Spacing' was added for subtitles.
• Minor bugs were fixed.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
do NOT support .264
Handles Chinese subtitles, but displays video choppily
I downloaded this because VLC wasn't working with Chinese subtitles. It can display Chinese subtitles, but unfortunately it makes most video compression formats unwatchable as it displays things extremely choppily. I'm running it on a new MacBook Air.
Wouldn't play BDMV
I created a Blu-ray disc using Adobe Encore, but when I tried playing it with my Blu-ray player, there was no audio. In an effort to troubleshoot, I searched the App Store and found KPlayer. I bought it specifically because the sell copy said "'m2ts' files contained in 'BDMV' will automatically be added to the playlist when you open the folder that contains 'BDMV'."
I opened the BDR iso image file then started KPlayer, then opened the BDMV folder both inside KPlayer and in Finder. It would not play the file. With KPlayer open, I tried clicking on the m2ts file in Finder and got the message "Opening a file in the folder that is not allowed is not recommended. (Sandbox)". I went to the web site under troubleshooting and found several suggestions requiring command line instructions.
I am a videographer/editor, not a programmer. I should not have to know Mac command line instructions to run this ap.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.