Get the world's most comprehensive ad-free dictionary and thesaurus with extensive offline dictionary content and synonyms. Dictionary Pro is the premium version of The Free Dictionary app, featuring:
* No ads.
* A comprehensive English offline dictionary and offline thesaurus.
* Offline dictionaries in 13 other languages.
* Offline translations of English into more than 40 languages.
* Dozens of other offline translation options.
Rated #1 app in the App Store in the paid reference category in 109 countries 2011–2019 (Source: http://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/app/492085918/app-ranking/#device=iphone&type=best-ranks)
Plus TheFreeDictionary's classic app content:
* Find every word you search for. Get results from trusted sources:
The American Heritage Dictionary
+ More than 100 dictionaries and encyclopedias from these top publishers:
Columbia University Press
* Learn the word. Clear definitions, example sentences, etymologies, illustrations, and more.
* Learn how to say it. Play audio pronunciations and hear it pronounced.
* Learn something new. Word of the Day and other fresh daily content.
* Find the perfect synonym fast. East-to-use Thesaurus with synonyms, antonyms, and related words.
* Explore topics in-depth. Multiple specialty dictionaries and encyclopedias:
Acronyms and Abbreviations
* Watch idioms in action. View idioms videos inside the app and see idioms and slang explained.
* Play word games. Spelling Bee, Hangman, and more.
* Access dictionaries in 13 other languages, including:
What makes Dictionary Pro the most user-friendly dictionary app?
* Instantly look up words in apps or webpages! Just highlight the word you want to look up, tap "Share," then tap "More" in the bottom menu and turn on the "Define" option. You will then see a "Define" icon in the menu. Tap it to see the definition of the highlighted word!
* Voice search. Just say the word to look it up.
* Advanced Search options.
* Look up the definition of any word on the page. Just highlight and tap "Definition."
* Save bookmarks with one tap and sync them to all your devices.
* Customize your homepage: Move, add, or remove articles, games, even local weather.
* Jump to Definition, Thesaurus, or Translations with one button.
* Navigate the app in more than a dozen languages with the multilingual interface.
* Adjust font size.
* Share your favorite definitions and articles via social networks, email, or text.
* Earn meals for hungry children through The Free Dictionary's partnership with the World Food Program—just by using the app!
Read our reviews to see why our users say this is the best dictionary app they've ever used.
How do we do it?
Farlex is a leader in dictionary apps. We work with the best publishers to bring together trusted content in the most comprehensive, authoritative dictionary apps on the market. Find our other apps by searching "Dictionary by Farlex" in the App Store.
* For app developers: The Free Dictionary app can be accessed by other apps with API calls (Contact Farlex for instructions).
* Bugfixes and improvements
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Extraordinary App! Simply awesome
The Free Dictionary is an app with true style!. Not only is it beautiful to look at, it's well thought out and very user friendly. The developers truly put some thought into this one! It's truly not just a dictionary. The quotes, articles, word games, even horoscope, all make it fun!. If you are like me, you know you need help in spelling and your vocabulary but you just can't seem to take the time or want to make the effort. This app will change all of that! I truly use it everyday!. And the articles, games, etc those too I use everyday. I have had both the free and the Pro versions. I travel a lot so am often without internet or unable to communicate in a foreign language. The Pro app takes care of that!. Thank you Developers for an amazing app!. There is a good reason this app has mainly five stars!. You will not be sorry with this amazing app!
So far, so good!
I downloaded this app today based on the 4 & 5 star reviews posted. So far, it looks promising. It’s too bad the annoying pop-up asked me to rate and review it even though I have not had nearly enough time to discover all of the features! Hopefully, it won’t prompt me again. Ever. Maybe this was a clever way to get a good review before I’ve had time to form an opinion (NOT!). Anyway😊, after an hour of use, it appears to be a fairly comprehensive dictionary and thesaurus. Personally, I can do without all of the extra bells and whistles but, thankfully, the developers were thoughtful enough to give us customization options in Settings. I really like the offline dictionary feature and I may end up liking certain others when I have had a chance to review them. I subtracted 1 star simply due to the rate/review pop-up appearing as I was in the middle of reading the results of a search and this was only an hour after downloading the app. One suggestion: offer a “bundle” price point since there are so many different products in the line. Final thought: IMHO, it’s worth the 4 bucks. 👍
I used to work as an editor and have something of a fetish for dictionaries. The two highest compliments I can pay to any dictionary — either electronic or dead tree — are these: (1) I use it multiple times per day, and (2) I find myself browsing for the pure fun of it. (Fellow dictionary lovers will know what I mean.) Farlex's wins on both counts. Comprehensive, compiled from reliable sources (e.g. Webster's, Roget's), quick and simple interface — already these set it apart from many others. In addition, it provides accurate etymologies, a generous thesaurus, a fine assortment of dictionaries in other languages, and surprisingly good translations. The offline mode is particularly welcome. I haven't explored its many other features, but these are enough to set it apart. Not only is this the best dictionary app I've ever tried, it's one of the most useful reference apps of any kind. Full marks!
- Farlex, Inc.
- 13 MB
Requires iOS 13.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Turkish
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Farlex, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.