▶ Issues that will be fixed in the next update:
• Doesn't run on 10.6 Snow Leopard anymore.
• Mutes Boom 2. Workaround: http://d.pr/8Y2t
Voice chat is awesome, but sooner or later you'll send something you wish others hadn't heard.
Shush solves this problem by providing simple hotkey microphone management.
With Shush you’ll no longer have to feel awkward about the things going on around you. Whether it’s a plane flying overhead, your kids screaming, that sneeze (or something worse) you feel coming on, or just you talking to yourself, Shush makes accidental transmitting a thing of the past.
In push-to-talk mode, your microphone will be muted until you press and hold a chosen hotkey, unmuting your microphone and allowing your voice to flow freely. Release the hotkey and Shush will mute your microphone again.
In push-to-silence mode (aka “cough button”), press and hold the hotkey to immediately mute your microphone so nobody hears anything you don’t want them to. Release the hotkey and Shush will unmute your microphone.
• Take control of when you are heard
• Configure your own hotkey
• Informative menu bar icon so you always know the status of your mic
• Gorgeous retina graphics and fluid animations
Shush works with almost any* internal and external microphone or line-in, even USB and Bluetooth.
Shush works with any software that captures audio from the above hardware. This includes:
• Google Chat/Talk
• VoIP Softphones
• GarageBand/Podcast Capture
• and more…
* For a list of known incompatible hardware visit http://d.pr/gPuw
• Improved compatibility for OS X 10.10 Yosemite.
• Improved ability to mute some devices that were previously unmutable.
• Changed menu bar icon to be black and white.
• Fix for output audio being muted if Boom is installed.
Ratings and Reviews
Pretty good, but not perfect
This is a very simple app, and it works very well, but feels like it should be only $2 or $3. But that's sort of beside the point of whether it's good.
It seems to have all the essential features, but needs some additions. For instance, it's easy to forget you're running the app, and wonder why no one can hear you in your WebEx/GoToMeeting/ScreenHero/Zoom/Hangout/whatever call. If the user could set a color for the muted icon, and a different color for the non-muted icon, it would be easier to avoid this situation.
The ability to toggle with a double-tap of your chosen key is a nice idea, but I find that it's too easy to do that accidentally. It would be nice if I could make it a triple-tap, or otherwise have more flexibility in defining how to toggle between tap-to-talk and tap-to-mute. Or maybe define the maximum interval between the taps—that might reduce accidental toggling, which can cause lots of problems (if you say something to someone in the room or on the phone, that you don't want heard by people in the WebEx/whatever).
Found a Fix for WebEx
In these days of increased video conferencing, I have come to rely on Shush quite a bit. Since I take notes on my Macbook during meetings, I need to stay muted if I am using the onboard mic but I also have to quickly unmute if I need to speak. Before Shush, I would have to switch to my conferencing app, unmute, talk, then mute again.
The latest version of Webex released sometime in August 2020, 'broke' my Shush functionality but it looks like the workaround published for GoToMeeting works for Webex as well. See the publishers website for the instructions on how to get it to work.
Given how often I use Shush, it is definitely worth it.
This app does something I’ve wanted for years— mute by default, push to talk. After dozens of conf calls interrupted by people who failed to mute, this app is a godsend!
The only things I’d like to see changed are:
* more control over the audio cues. Being able to adjust their volume, or perhaps switch to some sort of onscreen indicator would be handy. As-is, the sound is a bit jarring.
* The ability to differentiate between left and right side keys when specifying the mute/unmute key: I never use right-option, so I’d love to assign that (and not left-option).
The developer, Mizage, LLC, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Mizage, LLC
- 1.2 MB
- Requires macOS 10.6.6 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Mizage, LLC
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.