Named by Time.com's @Techland as one of the best weather apps for your iPhone and Apple Watch.
Severe weather alerts for your exact location. Storm Shield gives you storm-based alerts for tornado, hurricane, flood, thunderstorm, winter storms and other life-threatening weather events via voice and push notification.
Storm-based alerts help reduce false alarms by alerting you to severe weather based on your exact location within a county. County-based alerts can result in false alarms, warning you when your location in the county is not within the threatened area.
What people are saying:
• Storm Shield "alerted our family of the Broken Arrow, OK tornado, faster than the TV and tornado sirens." - Robyn
• "I was in Oklahoma City during the tornado... we were right in its path. Your app literally was a life saver." - dcalk12
• Get voice alerts just like a NOAA weather radio via push notification anywhere in the United States.
• With Apple Watch, get a tap on your wrist when alerts are issued for your locations.
• Add Storm Shield's widget to your Today screen to get quick access to active alerts for the first location in your app.
• Touch Storm Shield's app icon on your 3D-Touch enabled iPhone for widget access.
• Hi-Def radar map is your home screen so you can quickly see what's going on at your locations.
• Fully supports Dark Mode in iOS 13.
• Long-tap on the map to get current conditions, hourly and daily forecasts.
• Save additional locations to ensure family members stay safe.
View NOAA severe weather alerts on the map to see where dangerous weather is happening:
• Tap alerts to view info
• Flood watches & warnings
• Tornadoes & Thunderstorms
• Hurricane & Tropical Storm forecast tracks
• Winter storms
• Marine & Coastal alerts
• Radar & Clouds
• Wind Speed
• Snow Fall
• Water Temperatures
• Road Weather
• Premium Weather (purchase required)
• Lightning Alerts and notifications (purchase required)
Enhance your app with auto-renewing monthly subscriptions:
• Buy 'Premium Weather' to unlock these features and see predicted imagery for these map layers:
1) Future Radar
2) Future Clouds
3) Future Clouds & Radar together
4) Future Surface Temperature Land
5) Future Surface Temperature Water
6) Future Surface Temperature Land & Water together
7) Future Wind Speeds Map
8) Storm Tracks: See how fast storms are moving & where they're headed.
• Buy 'Lightning' to unlock these 2 features:
1) Lightning strike push notifications up to 10 miles away.
2) See lightning on the map within 100 miles of a selected location.
• Payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase.
• Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period.
• Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal.
• Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase.
• No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period.
• Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable.
Storm Shield is made possible by The E.W. Scripps Company & KNXV Phoenix, WCPO Cincinnati, WEWS Cleveland, WXYZ Detroit, WMAR Baltimore, WFTS Tampa, WPTV West Palm, KSHB Kansas City, KJRH Tulsa, RTV6 Indianapolis, KMGH Denver, KGTV San Diego, KERO Bakersfield, WKBW Buffalo, WTVF Nashville, KMTV Omaha, WSYM Lansing, WFTX Ft. Myers, WTMJ Milwaukee, WGBA Green Bay, KIVI Boise, KTNV Las Vegas, KGUN Tucson, WTXL Tallahassee, KXXV Waco, KRIS Corpus Christi.
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
• We fixed a bug that caused the Lightning Alerts on/off switch to turn off inadvertently for a small group of users when the app was placed in the background and then opened again.
• Additional under-the-hood maintenance items are included in this release.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Pretty good app.
Just got this but so far so good. Kept us up to date on the latest winter storms. Hopefully works as good on summer storms. Seems to use a lot of battery. Would like to see road emergency levels if possible. Since last update it's terrible. Radar takes forever to load if it ever does. Right now its a waste of money. Thinking of finding something else. Will not advise friends and family to get this. Last update is useless. I live in a flood area and no longer receive audible warnings. As long as i am awake i know water is rising. If in bed guess i will just drown. Keep up the great updates and no one will be alive to buy your app. Why would i want a weather app that doesn't notify me. Hope a tornado warning is never issued at night. Think about us and not your pocket. Ok got notifications back and then another update In May--- lost notifications AGAIN. What gives? Really starting to rethink this app AGAIN.
Developer Response ,
UPDATE 5/29/18 - If you are experiencing issues with notifications, please provide more detail by filing a Support ticket from within your Storm Shield App, which provides us with additional diagnostic data, and we’ll be happy to look into it.
UPDATE 3/25/18 - Version 4.4 released: UPDATE #1: New Weather Alerts improvements: Thanks to your feedback from the initial version 4 release, Storm Shield App now provides over 160 weather alert types (instead of 45) for which you can choose to receive a push notification. This is even more alert types than the original Storm Shield App version 3's push notifications (which had 110). To choose which alert types you want to enable or disable, on the Map screen tap Settings (the gear icon), then Manage Weather Alerts. As always, when you receive a push notification from Storm Shield App, you will hear an audio notification that says: "Beep! Beep! Beep! The National Weather Service has issued a 'Name of Alert'." UPDATE #2) New Lightning Alerts improvement: In Settings, you can now enable and disable Lightning push notifications with an on/off switch. Also, when you have Lightning Alerts enabled, a new slider lets you adjust the notification sensitivity between 1 and 10 miles. Adjust this by 1-mile increments to be notified of lightning strikes within X miles. We hope you enjoy these latest improvements!
Adding a star for customer support
Updating my previous review and adding a star for great customer support! Within hours, the developers responded directly to my review, noting a temporary server glitch that prevented me from adding new locations. Works now! It’s a little cumbersome on the search function and only supports U.S., but once the location is set, the swipe-between-locations feature in the main interface is easy to use. I figure the other issue re: dark vs. light background is related to the settings on each of my devices. No big deal.
I may keep Storm Shield for local weather monitoring and still stick with my old standby Storm Radar for a global view and peppier radar. Intellicast was the best weather app hands-down, but since its demise, no one has been able to match it.
Previously: I’m on the fence trying to decide between weather apps for my iPhone and iPad. Storm Shield is good, but on the iPad I keep getting an error message when I try to add locations. The darker radar background is preferred on the iPad, but I’ve been unable to replicate it on my iPhone. The simple interface, one click between radar and detailed forecast info, is easy to navigate — a big plus!
Developer Response ,
We had a temporary server outage with regard to the ability to add locations to the app. This problem started on the evening of June 11, 2020, and was resolved the next morning on June 12, 2020. Please try adding locations again. If you are still unable to successfully add a location, please submit a support ticket with more detail so we can look into this further. You can file a Support ticket from within your Storm Shield App, which provides us with additional diagnostic data to troubleshoot such issues. Thanks in advance!
Ok, so I was wrong
This is an update from my last review. If you know where to look, the features I liked about previous versions are still there. So I up-rated my review to 4 stars. The problem is that finding the forecast stuff isn’t straightforward in this version. In this version there is a fairly large button with the options “Current” and “Future”. Click on Future and basically what you get is a “Pay Up” message. To get the old forecast features, click on the little, tiny “More” in the bottom right, up comes a screen with current data plus sunrise/sunset. There is nothing to indicate that scrolling down will get you the forecast for the week that you were looking for. No slide bar shows until you actually start scrolling.
Original review - Title: Last update turned a winner into a loser
Great app but it’s really not free. With the last update it will only show you what’s happening right now. I can open the door for that. To get any forecast data (i.e., what’s going to happen), you have to buy a subscription. And it’s not clear that will even get you an ad free experience.
Developer Response ,
The features that were in the previous version of the app are still here at no additional charge, which include severe weather alerting for your current and saved locations, ability to view current conditions, daily and hourly forecasts for each of your locations, and view radar and alert polygons on the map.
In addition, there are several NEW features you get for FREE that were not available in the old app: view Clouds and Radar together on the map; Wind Speed; Snow Cover; Temperature Map; Water Temperature Map; Road Weather; Earthquakes; and the ability to view multiple severe weather layers on the map at the same time.
Also, two NEW optional paid features, Future Weather (which unlocks Future Radar, Storm Tracks, Future Temperature Map) and Lightning Strikes (which unlocks Lightning Notifications and Lightning strikes on the map), are NEW additions to the app. These are subscription-based and optional.
If you feel there is something missing that was in the previous version and is not free in this version, please let us know by filing a Support ticket from within your Storm Shield App and we’ll be happy to look into it.
- E.W. Scripps Company
- 83.6 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 and watchOS 2.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © The E.W. Scripps Company
- In-App Purchases
- 30-Day Limited Offer Upgrade $1.49
- Premium Weather $0.99
- Lightning Strikes $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.