Storm Shield 4+
Severe Weather Alerts & Radar
E.W. Scripps Company
- Offers In-App Purchases
Named by Time.com's @Techland as one of the best weather apps for your iPhone and Apple Watch.
Severe weather alerts for your exact location. Storm Shield gives you storm-based alerts for tornado, hurricane, flood, thunderstorm, winter storms and other life-threatening weather events via voice and push notification.
Storm-based alerts help reduce false alarms by alerting you to severe weather based on your exact location within a county. County-based alerts can result in false alarms, warning you when your location in the county is not within the threatened area.
What people are saying:
• Storm Shield "alerted our family of the Broken Arrow, OK tornado, faster than the TV and tornado sirens." - Robyn
• "I was in Oklahoma City during the tornado... we were right in its path. Your app literally was a life saver." - dcalk12
• Get voice alerts just like a NOAA weather radio via push notification anywhere in the United States.
• With Apple Watch, get a tap on your wrist when alerts are issued for your locations.
• Add Storm Shield's widget to your Today screen to get quick access to active alerts for the first location in your app.
• Touch Storm Shield's app icon on your 3D-Touch enabled iPhone for widget access.
• Hi-Def radar map is your home screen so you can quickly see what's going on at your locations.
• Fully supports Dark Mode in iOS 13.
• Long-tap on the map to get current conditions, hourly and daily forecasts.
• Save additional locations to ensure family members stay safe.
View NOAA severe weather alerts on the map to see where dangerous weather is happening:
• Tap alerts to view info
• Flood watches & warnings
• Tornadoes & Thunderstorms
• Hurricane & Tropical Storm forecast tracks
• Winter storms
• Marine & Coastal alerts
• Radar & Clouds
• Wind Speed
• Snow Fall
• Water Temperatures
• Road Weather
• Premium Weather (purchase required)
• Lightning Alerts and notifications (purchase required)
Enhance your app with auto-renewing monthly subscriptions:
• Buy 'Premium Weather' to unlock these features and see predicted imagery for these map layers:
1) Future Radar
2) Future Clouds
3) Future Clouds & Radar together
4) Future Surface Temperature Land
5) Future Surface Temperature Water
6) Future Surface Temperature Land & Water together
7) Future Wind Speeds Map
8) Storm Tracks: See how fast storms are moving & where they're headed.
• Buy 'Lightning' to unlock these 2 features:
1) Lightning strike push notifications up to 10 miles away.
2) See lightning on the map within 100 miles of a selected location.
• Payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase.
• Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period.
• Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal.
• Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase.
• No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period.
• Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable.
Storm Shield is made possible by The E.W. Scripps Company & KNXV Phoenix, WCPO Cincinnati, WEWS Cleveland, WXYZ Detroit, WMAR Baltimore, WFTS Tampa, WPTV West Palm, KSHB Kansas City, KJRH Tulsa, RTV6 Indianapolis, KMGH Denver, KGTV San Diego, KERO Bakersfield, WKBW Buffalo, WTVF Nashville, KMTV Omaha, WSYM Lansing, WFTX Ft. Myers, WTMJ Milwaukee, WGBA Green Bay, KIVI Boise, KTNV Las Vegas, KGUN Tucson, WTXL Tallahassee, KXXV Waco, KRIS Corpus Christi.
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
• NEW! Improved widgets for iOS 15 and above: Choose either a Small or Large widget to see at a glance active weather alerts and current conditions on your iPhone and iPad home screen.
• Additional under-the-hood maintenance items are included in this release.
Ratings and Reviews
Fantastic, but missing Critical Alerts support
Storm Shield is a fantastic weather alert app, but it is missing support for the Critical Alerts feature. First, Storm Shield provides more precise alerts than other apps, so I don’t get alerts about warnings for storms on the far side of my county and headed away from me. Second, the voice alerts actually speak the alert, so you know without having to look at your phone what the alert is for (e.g., flash flood watch vs tornado warning). The only thing missing is support for Critical Alerts, which allows notifications to break through even when a Focus mode is turned on. Ideally, I would be able to pick for each alert type whether the notification is a Critical Alert or not. (The Red Cross Emergency app let’s me do this.) That way I can decide which alerts break through and wake me up at night when the Sleep focus mode is on (e.g., Tornado Warning but not Severe Thunderstorm Warning).
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your feedback! We'll share your comments with our product and development team as we evaluate options for future app enhancements.
I have loved this app for a little over 2 years now I believe. So much so that when our friends from California moved here to Tennessee with no experience in severe weather and were nervous about the weather, I recommended it to them to keep them up to date on watches and warnings and give them a heads up if there was a tornado warning in the middle of the night to get to the basement. Got us all set up with locations picked, alerts turned on and everything and felt good about it, until last night when tornadoes went through the area and there was not ONE alert that popped up for any of us other than the tornado watch that came through like 3 hours after it was issued. We never got any alert for the severe thunderstorm warning or the special weather statement that came and went. And thank the good Lord the radar still worked because I had to watch it all night and just happened to notice the red box pop up when the tornado warning was issued right over their location, and was able to call and tell them to get them and their kids downstairs in time for their area to get hit. People’s roofs were ripped off within a mile or two of their home and they would have had no idea they were even in danger if they’d just trusted this app:( makes me sad because it’s always worked for me and my family in the past and I trusted it too, but none of us (3-4 phones) got any alerts when it really mattered despite double and triple checking all our settings were correct.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your comments! We're aware that some Apple iPhone or iPad users may have received weather alerts that were delayed in recent severe weather events. We're working with our weather alert provider to investigate this and identify any potential causes. Apple's push notification service, which Storm Shield iOS relies on for delivery of its severe weather alerts, is a "best-effort" service, meaning that Apple makes its best effort to deliver all notifications for iOS devices, but cannot guarantee delivery. To be clear, we're not pointing the finger at Apple's push notification service (we're still investigating); rather, just trying to explain how the push notification process works. Please rest assured that we're working diligently with our weather alerting partner to ensure that everything that we can control is functioning properly, so that future weather alerts will not be delayed. We understand how important it is that alerting works properly, so if you continue to experience missed or late alerts, please reach back out to us.
Your experience also helps reinforce the importance of having multiple alerting sources, as nothing in technology is ever 100% foolproof (although we and our weather technology partner providers strive for that as much as we possibly can). While this experience you had is the exception rather than the rule, we're confident that you'll see this from our past app reviews over the years. Thank you again for helping us strive to be even better!
Adding a star for customer support
Updating my previous review and adding a star for great customer support! Within hours, the developers responded directly to my review, noting a temporary server glitch that prevented me from adding new locations. Works now! It’s a little cumbersome on the search function and only supports U.S., but once the location is set, the swipe-between-locations feature in the main interface is easy to use. I figure the other issue re: dark vs. light background is related to the settings on each of my devices. No big deal.
I may keep Storm Shield for local weather monitoring and still stick with my old standby Storm Radar for a global view and peppier radar. Intellicast was the best weather app hands-down, but since its demise, no one has been able to match it.
Previously: I’m on the fence trying to decide between weather apps for my iPhone and iPad. Storm Shield is good, but on the iPad I keep getting an error message when I try to add locations. The darker radar background is preferred on the iPad, but I’ve been unable to replicate it on my iPhone. The simple interface, one click between radar and detailed forecast info, is easy to navigate — a big plus!
Developer Response ,
We had a temporary server outage with regard to the ability to add locations to the app. This problem started on the evening of June 11, 2020, and was resolved the next morning on June 12, 2020. Please try adding locations again. If you are still unable to successfully add a location, please submit a support ticket with more detail so we can look into this further. You can file a Support ticket from within your Storm Shield App, which provides us with additional diagnostic data to troubleshoot such issues. Thanks in advance!
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- E.W. Scripps Company
- 102.9 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © The E.W. Scripps Company
- In-App Purchases
- 30-Day Limited Offer Upgrade $1.49
- Premium Weather $0.99
- Lightning Strikes $0.99